I don’t see myself playing D2 or D2R over PD2, do you?

Hello!

It’s pretty clear that people don’t play games because they look good, they play them because they are fun to play, regardless of graphics.
With that said, it’s always nice with modern resolutions.

I really can’t see myself Playing D2R over PD2 for the same reason I play PD2 over the original D2, or for the same reason I used to play D2 over D3.

I think the mechanics in D2 compared to other games is superior. There is so much to do and so many levels that keeps you motivated to play. And even if you dont find what you want, you usually at least find something of use. And when you finally find a decent item, the rolls can make it more or less value in a very fun way, well, guess I don’t have to explaine the greatness in this forum :blush:.

But then PD2 showed up, and compared to other D2-mods, I think it stays true to the core game.

The balance charges in PD2 is nice but that’s not really what makes It for me.
Its the charm space, worldstone shades, puzzle box, loot filter and change of area levels that makes PD2 so great. It adds a lot of variation and depth and you get more useful stuffs to play with even if you don’t find that item you been searching for.

I’m more of a casual player nowadays and the added features in PD2 makes it more fun for me and I have a bigger chance of getting that best in slot item even If I’m a casual player.

I currently got three different chars at level 80-90 and still haven’t been able to kill Diablo Clone. I got decent items but there is still items show by others that seams out of reach. And that’s a good thing.

They way PD2 lets you build up your economy is really nice and very rewarding.
Well, to be fair, D2 got very nice economy as well but the added mechanics and difficult progression in PD2 makes it more fun than D2.

And while I’m at it, I don’t know about you, but I’m worried about D4.

Smart loot in D3 is the stupidest thing ever and I really don’t want that in D4. In D2 (with mods) you get motivated to start a new char after finding a couple of items for another char. In D3, it’s pointless and boring to know that ”In 2 hours I get the item I want”. And I love that you can’t kill everything with every char i and every skill (like you can in D3).

I don’t see the problem of having different chars with different skills and gear for different content of the game. If you are a dedicated rich player, you CAN make a build that’s able to clear everything.

I get tired when reading Blizzards ”philosophies” about why they designed the game a certain way. These posts are very well formulated (compared to this post :blush:) and in some way, you can agree. But if you just stop and ask yourself ”Is it fun?” the answer is usually no.

The core problem in D3 is that they tried to give the players everything they thought they wanted, instead of giving them what they wanted.

I don’t want a predesigned thought out melee sorc build. I want however to be able to make a melee sorc build, so don’t make all melee weapons class specific…

People want to find perfect items! Let’s make a perfect item and drop them to players. What? That’s not fun!!!
Its like telling a kid that it MUST eat candy on a Saturday. The fun about candy on a Saturday is because it’s special and you never really know if you get candy or not.

I saw an interview or read something a while back with someone on the Diablo-team, and he/her said something like “then that star shoes on the map, it has too be something valuable for the player”. Well, it doesn’t, just look at D2…and If you design a game with “philosophies” like that, you end up getting another D3.

There is still a lot of items/runes I never found in D2, and its been 20 years and I dare to count the hours, weeks, month of playtime. For D4 I hope they keep this mystery instead of giving everything in one weekend like in D3 (I don’t hate D3 and played it a lot, but it lacks personality and gets boring pretty fast)

To sum this up, why can’t Blizzard just for once just be like ”well **** it, let’s just take PD2 and add some own features that SenpaiSomething can’t add by himself, like shared loot space and see what happens” instead of overthink everything.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I agree im most part with what you wrote. However, some QoL implemented in D2R is not possible in PD2. And they are definitely huge.
Speaking of D2R, I imagine that the developers first intend to stabilize the game in the first season by correcting bugs and stabilizing the game, which is totally plausible and expected.
They said that if the game has great appeal, future implementations may occur. Let us not forget that D4 is expected for 2022 and D2R will be a direct competitor.
Even what we saw in D2R was surprising, if they implement systems that will exist in D4, as you said, an expansion of D2R would be better. And although I love D2 I want a new game that follows the same path trodden 20 years ago. I see D4 absorbing a lot from D2.
Speaking of PD2, however good the Blizzard professionals are, when it comes to Diablo, I believe that there is no one among them compared to GreenDude and Senpai. Both did exceptional work on POD and PD2. It is another pressure point on the developers of the Diablo franchise.

Just one more thing. I realize mods are available so I guess I can play they game I want even If think they should put it in original game.

Im just tired of Blizzard philosophies and this video confirms that D4 won’t be a good game. No matter how hard I try, I see D3 when I watch D4. And when I hear Rhykker talks about what they wanna achive, I know that if they dont change of they see things, it wount be a good game.

Disable Smart Loot and you achieve the same thing they try do to with the philosophy, why make a simple thing harder that it is…

1 Like

I personally didn’t like many of the changes in PD2. Even if D2R didn’t come, I’d be playing vanilla D2 with the plugy mod, because I want the shared stash. D2R will have the shared stash natively so it eliminates even the need for that. I couldn’t ask for naything else.

2 Likes

having to go back to non stackable gems/runes is going to suck

those things eat space so bad

i’ll need multiple mules just for crafting materials

3 Likes

tbh here in regards of D4 I’m rather sceptical as well per couple of factors:

• Diablo have always had the hard-core PC gamer base line comunity
  • Diablo 3 has definitely had it’s audience but it was rather greatly rejeceted by the hard-core Diablo 1 and 2 gamers primary for 2 aspects: Look and feel of WoW and also for the Auction which (even when removed later) was hard-coded in the mind of the game.
  • Diablo Immortal could have had successful story among the comunity but it was extremely badly presented so “no one cares that we have phones”
  • time has flown and the competition evolved. We have games like Grim Dawn, Path of Exile etc. however none of them are real D1/2 succesors when it comes to the game feeling.
  • and now, D4. Which if you ask me is nowadays trying to soak the current ARPG games together which might not be interesting in D1/2 players (at least for me tbh).
    I have high hopes for D2:R and will definitely buy. However I’m afaid if that won’t work for me it would be a goodbey to the Blizzard from me (Activision from 90’s 00’s RIP already…)

You won’t. There’s a tabbed shared stash now.

Actually, it looks like we will. 3 - 4 mules alone are required just for crafting caster amulets, that’s 3 - 4 tabs just for caster amulet crafting and doesn’t include ring crafting that use all different materials. Further more, I’m a melee player and I craft blood belts, which again use different materials. The added 20 spaces on the personal stash page is great, but devout ladder players can and often end up with 20 - 50 mules per ladder. I personally am only playing casual this ladder and I have 8 characters on 8 accounts all full of mules just for this ladder - that’s 8 x 17. Unless we are allowed to make unlimited accounts off the bnet app, we simply will not have enough space to play the way we have played for 2 decades. The developers are completely out of touch with the bnet player base.

1 Like

My understanding was that there were gonna be infinite tabs, like in plugy and such. My mistake

I didn’t see any mistake that you made, I know no more than you about the remaster.

Speaking of embarrassing, this is a double whammy.

My PD2 experience: I played for about 2 minutes, went to the Blood Moor, saw the splash damage with melee attacks, said “Nope!” and uninstalled it.

Yes, I prefer vanilla bnet over any mods. I don’t care for enhanced drop rates or melee splash.

Well companies largely don’t care what you play; they care what you buy. Yes they will tout their time played metric if it looks good, but it only has meaning to them as a likelihood of future purchases.

A game that is fun will get good reviews, but without marketing a lot of people won’t even know it exists. I’ve owned Diablo 2 for the past 20 years, but I’m sure a lot of people aren’t even aware you can buy it on BNet because it doesn’t have an icon in the launcher; they WILL buy D2R when it shows up, whether or not it is the best version of Diablo 2.

it’s entirely possible down the line that they introduce more QoL updates to d2r, i’m guessing launch will be as vanilla as possible and they’ll slowly, over time, test the waters with changes and/or see what the modding community comes up with for D2r and adapt it into their own game. The devs seem pretty open to the modding scene so who knows.

1 Like