Hypothetical AH Worth of Current Items

I’ve been playing D3 since the initial launch and remember finally breaking down and spending about $20 to get enough gold to gear up a decent WW barb and CM wizard in the AH.

Part of me is still in awe when seeing things like a perfect trifecta amulet drop.

How much do you reckon this Blackthorne’s Duncraig Cross I just found would’ve sold:

• 721 intelligence
  • Critical Hit Damage increased by 100.0%
  • Critical Hit Chance increased by 10.0%
  • Socket (1)
  • +150 Lightning Resistance
  • Reduces damage from ranged attacks by 6.0%

Now if only I could trade my recent spike in luck to get Haunted Visions :sob:

There is something seriously wrong when the best way to gear up a character in a Loot Hunting game is via not playing the game.

I’m glad the AH is gone.

Only a fool will spend real money on a Blackthorns item.

7 Likes

0, nobody uses blackthorne unless they really got no better choice.

4 Likes

If the auction house was still around, the most expensive items would be primal (or near perfect ancient) trifecta Flavor of Times with any element rerollable.

Like this:
(rerollable)
100 CHD
10 CHC
8 CDR
socket

That would be far and away the single most valuable item. Nothing else would even be close. Other trifecta amulets (e.g. Squirt’s), trifecta rings, really good primal weapons/off-hands for desirable builds, quad gloves, nutty shoulder rolls (e.g. AD + CDR + skill damage) would also have value. But nothing would come close to the value of a perfect Flavor of Time, because a roll like that is super rare and extremely desirable.

EDIT: If Cosmic Wings were sellable, those would also be very valuable. They added the restriction that people can’t join rainbow portals unless they are in the game when it spawned specifically to combat people selling portals with Lillian in them (i.e. selling wings) for hundreds of dollars on third party sites. Demand is probably lower now than when the wings were first added, but there’d definitely still be a market for them.

4 Likes

You’re almost a decade too late with this. They decided it wasn’t profitable and pulled the plug. No point wondering about what might have been now.

I, myself, had a laugh when I reinstated my PC copy. I had my tabs all arranged with what I thought might sell. By today’s standards, I had absolutely < CENSORED > all. I made about $10 before they shut it down, and that was on gold.

Those times are gone, my friend. Nowadays, it’s all about who can swipe their credit card the fastest, and who can force you to watch the most ads. The main reason I won’t be getting D4, in fact: I expect it will be 99% ads, even as you’re trying to beat a boss.

No. I’m not doing it. I’ll bloody well go back to Solitaire first.

1 Like

Gold AH was fine and would still be fine now. It should not have been removed imho.
Money AH was an absolute abomination and would still be one to this day.

2 Likes

I really want to know your reasoning for thinking this?

1 Like

You don’t think the game would have gone in a radically different direction if the gold AH had remained?

Look at the stupid amounts of gold most player will have one their accounts these days. Think I have 16 billion or so and I would be considered a pauper most likely.

If the AH had remained there would be 2-3 gold dropping off monsters on T16, not 60k or so. No more Greed’s realm. Puzzle ring would still be just for a goblin buddy running around with you. And naturally every idiot and his 12 year older brother would be listing yellow items at 20 billion gold because they’re stupid enough to think people would buy them.

And someone probably would, too.

The AH went for many reasons but the main one was to get people playing the game again rather than trying to buy their way through it.

3 Likes

Actually, it was to ensure that Blizzard wasn’t held liable by FinCEN for new regulations regarding international money-laundering transactions. Loot v2 and them saying they wanted players to find their own gear was a good cover story for a purely financial decision.

3 Likes

I wonder how much Primal Flavor of Time with perfect affixes will sell in D3 RmAH today.

$1000? or higher?

1 Like

I like a well done Auction house with various currencies for purchase. Like PoE style where you can pay Exalts or Chaos on an exchange rate. Asheron’s Call used Singularity Keys then Mana Forge Keys as their top tier trade currency.

If loot sharing stayed the way it was now, and the only way to trade was through an auction house, you could eliminate real world money transactions while giving players a drive to the economy. Maybe use Bounty Materials, Gifts, etc as acceptable currency, and let er rip.

1 Like

It’s just the direction games are going in now. TV too. EA did it a while back, although they eventually decided to remove them. The point is that they tried it. It won’t be long before others get the idea.

1 Like

On the RMAH, $250, because that was the cap they arbitrarily set on it. On the black market, though, several thousands of dollars.

Yes. It’s just gold. It’s not real money. Also, if the gold availability is the same as it is now, that will stop many (not all of course) from buying gold from 3rd party sites.

If Blizzard was afraid of that, then they could implement some kind of a limited gold buying system. There are Blood Shards, Veiled Crystals, Arcane Dust, Reusable Parts that could be used to buy a token. That token could be cashed in for gold.

Again -NO REAL MONEY USED-. Matter of fact, there could be some kind of a ‘quest’ once a month that will reward a token that you have to turn in. Yes a token. That will allow Blizzard to monitor the transaction. Now you don’t have to buy a token, you have to earn it. Of course players would argue about the vault, ancient or not. well no everyone has access to the vault, ancient or not.

There are other ways to implement a GOLD ONLY Auction House that would be useful for today’s gamers in good old, very old, D3. Would be nice to find a way to spend all those billions of gold coins just sitting there collecting dust. DUST!

Buuuuuuuut… that will never happen.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should’ve been clearer. I meant if you could magically transport the item I mentioned back in time into Vanilla D3 – I didn’t mean to ascertain the item’s current worth in the current state of the game.

How hacked is your computer that you’re getting ads while playing a game with no ingame ads?

By what foundation of logic do you have that they would introduce such a thing to an action rpg? The only time I’ve seen ads is on the launcher, and you can set that to close after launching the game.

Are you perchance one of those that cannot even focus on what you’re doing that you have to have distraction up in the background? Playin in window so you can stream YouTube at the same time and then complain you died cuz you were watching spongebob?

Why so much hate? Mad that Mephisto didn’t get any D4 love?

Now i’m going to have to call Homeland Security cuz fuzzleputz cheesecake (hey, it make JUST as much sense as your lil rant)

I’m pretty sure a Blackthornes item wasn’t worth :poop: back then either.

1 Like

Never said that. I said that some games are starting to introduce ads, and that I can see a day when they all do it. As I already mentioned, EA has alredy tried this. A computer doesn’t have to be “hacked” for a game company to try something this shifty.

By what foundation of logic do you have that they won’t, or can’t, ever think of doing so? My argument is not that they have done; it is that they could, and it’s just the sort of thing a big company might do.

Here we go with the personal attacks. Why so much hate? You know…there is a way to disagree with somebody without going straight for provocation and trolling, which is the only merit your post seems to have.

Congratulations on becoming the sixth person to permanently lose his voice over a pointless little power trip. Guess you should have tried being civil.

Zip, zilch, nada, nothing.

I think a socket on an amulet would make it lose value back then. Still would be worth a lot, but I’d like to see attack speed instead of the socket.