How the Code of Conduct can ban anything in the D2:R forums

Hello,

I want to start by saying this is not about posts being removed, or bans I have received, or complaints about specific things done to others. If I talked about any of that, that would be a violation of the Code of Conduct.

Instead, I want to talk about how easily anything you say here can result in disciplinary action, so you can be better informed. As far as I know, talking about the Code of Conduct is not an offense. It is so easy to violate the Code of Conduct, that I expect this post to be banned under one of the categories that are so general, anything can be listed as an offense.

For instance, just with what I have typed so far, let me list some of the categories I could have violated if they choose to do so.

1. Trolling. If it is perceived that this is not a legitimate attempt at dialogue, it can result in a ban for any of the following subcategories of trolling.
    A) Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing
    unrest on the forums
    B) Causing disturbances in forum threads
    C) Making non-constructive posts

2. Creating duplicate threads. If there is another thread that is determined to be too similar to this one, regardless of how old that thread is, it is an offense.

3. Inappropriate language. There is no list of words to go by, just an all encompassing ā€œAre otherwise considered objectionableā€. This means any word found to meet this vague standard is an offense.

Finally, the listed punishments arenā€™t even useful guides, because of this statement near the top:

ā€œWe reserve the right to evaluate each incident on a case by case basis. The action we take may be more lenient or more severe than those listed under each category:ā€

I would like to talk about how the implementation of these rules is negatively affecting the forums, but I cannot do that without citing examples, or discussing how the moderators are enforcing these rules. If I were to do that, I would be in violation of the Code of Conduct.

Instead, I will leave you with what I have already stated about what to be wary of if you wish to continue posting here. Personally, I plan to cease participating in these discussions if this post is found to have violated the Code of Conduct.

And that is a shame really. Most of my posts have multiple likes, and I feel my contributions are speaking to the feelings of many who read them.

Unfortunately, I feel many people may have left the discussion already. I would give examples, but again, Code of Conduct.

In most forums, I would end this with the acronym for Too Long, Didnā€™t Read, and then summarize this post for the less patient. That acronym is also against the Code of Conduct, so you will just have to read all of this if you want to understand what I am talking about.

Will I be posting here next week? I guess time will tell.

11 Likes

Reported for racism.

On a serious note though, I do think people need to learn that itā€™s okay to have conversations on gender, race, etc. without being crazy about it. Some of the first posts in this forum when D2R was announced were people voicing their concerns about how the characters looked, and a bunch of peopleā€™s knee-jerk response was to scream racism immediately, though no racism was there to be seen.

Ahh well, itā€™s a gaming forum so Iā€™m not getting into it too deep, itā€™s not the place for it, but people do need to learn the difference between talking about race, and racism.

8 Likes

It is actually intensely difficult to violate the CoC. You simply just need to be a respectable human being.

• Be productive.
  • Be kind.
  • Mind your own business where applicable.
  • If youā€™re going to argue, make sure it is constructive.

That is literally all you need to remember.

2 Likes

I disagree. As an example, any type of fad statement is a violation. So even if you are minding your own business Muyu, you could type something that is in your lexicon of common usage language, and then receive punishment.

It is very easy to violate the Code of Conduct (Iā€™d abbreviate it, but Iā€™m not sure if that is a fad way to do it.)

3 Likes

I strongly disagree with your interpretation of the way these forums are enforced with regards to word choice. Your wording only matters if it is in direct violation of the rules to begin with. Cursing, trolling, harassing, sexist talk, etc. It just falls in line with being a respectable human being and basic comprehension of the rules. If youā€™re unsure what you can or cannot say, simply avoid saying it. If it should ever come into question what youā€™re doing, chances are it isnā€™t allowed.

2 Likes

Man, I really could go for some seeds right about now. Eating them is a great pastime activity.

Talking about videogame characters aging, just watched this on yt. Iā€™m sort of surprised he didnā€™t mention the D2 Amazon, since this is a recent video.

1 Like

Biggest rule to follow, donā€™t be a jerk off. Sound advice, if you find yourself too frustrated, or offended from others, take a break. It is one thing if someone is actively harassing someone. Report it and move on. It is another thing if sarcastic remarks are made in the heat of the moment, grow some thick skin and move on. Itā€™s kind of funny really, people getting all offended and bent out of shape, yet think the game itself is some brutality simulator and act all hard about their skills on it and such.

4 Likes

This place is devolving. Iā€™m going to go play Pokemon Snap with my lilā€™ guy.

I hope when I come back thereā€™ll be something more constructive to talk about, perhaps like, a beta or something cough looking at you, Blizzard, beta pleaseā€¦seeya guys!

5 Likes

Respecting the ToS is really not that hard thoughā€¦

Donā€™t be a jerk?
Donā€™t attack people?
Donā€™t bring up ideologically sensitive topics or start using terms like SJW to label people?
Donā€™t point fingers needlessly?

Itā€™s not rocket science.

1 Like

This is the least relevant post I have seen on this forum.

Everyone can accidentally violates code of conduct, no big deal.

It is super hard to get banned.

1 Like

You canā€™t really know this, because most bans are temporary and anyone who receives a ban can never talk about it.

2 Likes

You very conveniently left out accusing people of trolling and or calling them trolls and or other names If you think their trolling thatā€™s what the flagging button is for

1 Like

I left out nothing I didnā€™t intend to write. Are you pointing out flaws in my statement? Or are you being sarcastic?

Also, you cannot see what other people flag.

3 Likes

That was not D2:R. Wrong forum. D2 Had a plethora of better forums and resources outside of the D3 realm.

Edit: Avalon withdrew their post, so the quote is no longer here.

2 Likes

Are you stating you totally missed the point? Because your comments directed at people who joined this forum for a game that did not have a forum last year does miss the point.

Edit: Avalon withdrew their post, so the quote is no longer here.

2 Likes

When you donā€™t understand something you might think its ā€œstupidā€ but you just need to figure out what it means, as for this entire thread, if you keep getting hit on the wrist over and over again there might be a reason?

and for the tldr thing you read it wrong, you can tldr your post for easy reading, what you canā€™t do is make a clone thread or a separate one by just writing at the top" how the code of conduct can cover anything in D2R forums TLDR"

take your time to understand what happened instead of letting your steam off in the forums would give you time to understand what happened and look at it from a different view

its a good practice in life in general, good luck with your progress

2 Likes

No, I didnā€™t read it wrong. It is under the category of spamming or trolling.

• Numbering a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements

It is listed as an example fad statement. I see Misscheetah liked your post. According to them, more posts means they know more. So I guess Iā€™m probably wrong here.

We could test it. Make a post where you use it. You could start a reply to this with that acronym. We can get a few people to flag it to see what happens.

I havenā€™t let off any steam. If I had, I would be banned by now.

I havenā€™t been hit on the wrist yet, but another person here self deleted their own post, most likely for violating the Code of Conduct.

1 Like

looks like a mod came by and deleted about 80 replies in this thread but not the OP, making me think the OP was correct all along and was never in violation of anything. Either way, clearly all of us need to stop talking about this. lol. :clown_face:

whos excited for D2R BETA SOON!!! ā˜œ(:ą¼Žąŗ¶;ē›Š;ą¼Žąŗ¶;)ā˜ž

Well, I am still here. My original point, validated by the 70 or so posts that are no longer here, is that the Code of Conduct is intentionally vague, and can be used to purge/punish just about anything.

2 Likes