How does nerves of steel works?

I have a question concerning nerves of steel. To put you in context i got killed through nerves of steel. I was really low hp (about 5%) and the passive icon wasnt showing so its still up. then i got killed .

nerves of steel says : Fatal damage instead reduces you to 15% Life. For 3 seconds afterward, you take 95% reduced damage and are immune to all control-impairing effects.

This effect may occur once every 60 seconds.

so heres my question : if im sitting at 5% hp ans i take fatal damage. will nerve of steel heal me up to 15% ? will it not proc if i take fatal damage from under 15% of my maximum health?

im assuming that i got killed from 2 instances of damage in quick succession first one proccing the passive and leaving me at whatever life% i was instead of leaving me at 15% and second one going through the 95% dmg reduction. am i wrong? lookign for knowledge please and ty

Your assumption is correct. You’ve got rekt twice in quick succession.

do you know what happens if you take fatal damage from below 15% life with nerves of steel available.

for example, lets say im sitting at 1% life total and i recieve fatal damage, will nerves of steel a) proc the dmg reduction buff and heal me back up to 15% life b) proc the damage reduction buff and leave me at 1% life c) dont proc at all

basically i wanna know what happens with nerves of steel if it gets procced from under 15% life.

The same thing that happens at 1%, or 100% life. It doesn’t matter how much life you had at the time of death.

Fatal damage just means your health pool was reduced to zero, regardless of the numbers involved to get there.

1 Like

the same thing does not happen tho. from 100% life receiving fatal damage with nerve of steal up would leave you at 15% life wiht a dmg reduction buff for 3 secs as nerve of steel says.

if you take fatal damage from under 15% life the part that says ‘‘Fatal damage instead reduces you to 15% life.’’ cant happen right?

I suggest you run away from combat as fast as you can once you proc or activate Nerves of Steel. Nerves of Steel does not make you immune to all damage, it only reduces the damage. To increase your chance of survival, you’re going to need more life, resistances, armor, and other skills.

No where in there does it say anything about a heal.

If you have been frozen and that has taken half of your life, and two of the other powers of the elites are arcane beams and poison strips, if I get out of there without having to archive my character, I count my blessings. It’s a dicey thing Nerves of Steel. It is completely dependent on what you are under attack from at the time it activates (what you have more or less resistance to) and how much health you have before a major hit.

Everyone is different in their exit strategies, but for me, if a scarab can activate my cheat death, that’s a benchmark telling me I am not ready for that GR yet.

so in other words… no one knows what happens when nerve of steel proc from under 15% of maximum health

For 3 seconds afterward, the Barbarian takes 95% reduced damage and gains immunity to all control-impairing effects.

However, if you immediately get hit by something that causes fatal damage you are dead. Theoretically for 3 seconds you have 95% extra damage reduction, but it’s not unusual to be hit by a fatal strike in a melee of two or more elite packs. In the GR100+ arena, getting hit by something that makes the extra 95% seem ineffective can occur. If WotB has not cooled down on cheat death and more factors that contribute, it happens.

This happens in every class occasionally.

EDIT: One of the worst things is getting lag at that precise fatal moment where the cheat death icon does not seem to appear at all and you are dead. Fortunately that does not happen too often.

thats useful information thx.

1 Like

Well, you could easily test this yourself. Go to one of the maps that have fire-grates in the floor. Clear out all of the mobs so there’s nothing around to hit you. Now, lower the difficulty of the game and stand in the fire grate. The fire damage will reduce your health to under 15% and, eventually, to a point where you would have otherwise died when the “cheat death” procs. Just keep your mouse hovered over your health globe and see if the HP shoots up to 15% from 0% or not when it procs.

1 Like

Easily tested on a non HC character. I can confirm that death is prevented (with no audio or visual warning [edit: other than the 2 second buff]) and your health is set to 15% when something would have killed you.

Great test :1st_place_medal:- the other three that come to mind are the Arreat crater levels with the two-way fire blowers, the falling giant axes in cathedral 1, and pandemonium fortress with the shock towers.

Actually if someone asked the worst way to die in HC, I’d say death by environment is pretty close to the top of the ‘most sucky way to die’ list.