Hoping D2R Fixes Trang-Oul FCR bug

As stated on Arreat summit when wearing a full Trang’s set:

note: wearing this set will increase casting delay resulting in slower casting (even with fast cast items). This is a bug and has been reported.

Hoping for a fix!

3 Likes

Careful, purists will come in here and argue that D2 is perfect, and that fixing this bug would destroy the very essence of D2 in it’s entirety and lead inevitably to fire and brimstone, cats and dogs living together and all sorts of other things a New York mayor was once warned of.

ofc you get different casting speed when you take on a different “form” with it’s own animations and frame limits on animations.

why should that be a bug?

1 Like

Arreat Summit has it called out as a bug, so that doesn’t sound like it was intended. The transformation is intended to be like some of the other sets display aura, that has no change in gameplay but makes it look cool for completing the set. With this bug, wearing the full set essentially has a cast rate de-buff that is not listed as set “bonuses”. I would think if this was an intended effect of completing the set, the hit to cast rate would be listed as a bonus, similar to how Andy’s has -fire resistance listed as a bonus.

1 Like

when you change form, for example via beast, or wolfhowl, or heck as shapeshifting druid
then your frame rates for fhr, fcr,block etc change

heck, you cannot cast many skills while in shapefhifted form (as is shown on for example bear melee sorcs or wolfhowl barbs etc.)

it is not just a little glow or an aura, you literally have a different character model that uses different animations.
thinking that said character model, which uses other animations, should conform to the animation breakpoints of a totally different model is a little ignorant.

Might as well make the claim that fhr, fcr and fbr caps should be the same across all 7 character classes, that an amazon should use the fcr caps of a sorc.
that is basiccally what this boils down to.

1 Like

From a game design perspective the character model switch for this set completion is supposed to be comperable to the aura some of the other classes get. That’s totally different from a skill that a player chooses to purposely charge form with clear trade offs.

From a coding and animation perspective I agree that it may be more work on the dev side to have the change in form not overwrite the character stats, but I would argue that it was more of an over cite and therefore unintended consequence and therefore bug, than a design choice where they said, “okay all of the high end class sets will get some extra extra flair to highlight that the player completed the set, but let’s let only the Necro set be a nerf!”

You jumping to all classes having the same fcr is not at all the same situation and putting words in my mouth.

You’re free to disagree that it’s a bug and that’s fine, but please stick with the discussion at hand and what I actually say, not draw huge leaps fun what I said to make my argument less valid by putting words in my mouth.

At the end of the day Arreat Summit has it documented as a bug.

1 Like

why should a change in character model with the changes that are a result of that, be anything but player choice’?
you choose the trade offs of wearing a character set

like, say
the kickdam of the assel set being bad
like the m’avina set being pretty useless thanks to no razortail and poor weapons
like the gris set offering no ds, no cb, no fcr
like the IK set offering little ds or cb
like the tal set offering low fcr per se and not shining on monoelemental builds
like the druid set being pretty useless for all druid builds

why should the change in fcr making the TO set being bad to use for bones and venos be any different?

Because those changes are obvious from the gear tool tips and items that must be equipped to the player. Some other class sets being less useful is a set design balance issue that is again clear to the player based on the stats and set bonuses of the items which are clearly communicated to the player.

By contrast, this is documented as a bug on AS and is not stated to the player by the game at all. If the full set bonus included -X FCR as a listed set bonus, like Andy’s does for fire res, then I would agree it was an intended trade off. Based on the information we have, it seems like a bug and/or developer oversight resulting in an unintended interaction resulting from the vanity bonus using a different model.

At this point I don’t think we’re going to convince each other so it probably makes sense to agree to disagree. Happy Hunting!

1 Like

does the transformation into a wolf or bear via, for example Beast, tell you from the start on the item that you cannot use many skills anymore?

Since those are playable skills from a playable class that transform a character in game, I would say yes, it is more obvious to the player that things will change. Also because those are skills that are granted, the player has the option of not using them, and getting the other bonuses of Beast. Not so with a forced transformation that happens when a set is completed.

All the other “end game” class sets offer a display change when you complete the set, that has no gameplay effect, but looks “cool”. Therefore to me, it makes the most sense that the intention was also for the vampire Trang transformation to be a visual effect only, however due to the re-use of existing models with animations, there was an unintended interaction that causes the cast delay. To me, based on the context of the other equivalent class sets, this seems more likely to be a bug, especially since Arreat Summit has it listed as a bug, than an intended “disadvantage” of using the set, since those trade offs are typically more obvious to the player.

You think it is an intended trade off, and that’s fine, I can see your point of view although I still don’t agree. The examples you’ve given of similar trade offs all have key differences to me that in my opinion make them different situations.

Like I said before, I don’t think we’re going to convince each other, but thanks for the good discussion and happy hunting.

1 Like

The Trang-Oul bug is either clearly a bug, or a really stupid design decision that needs to be reversed.

1 Like

Most diablo 2 players and even purists agree that fixing bugs is okay, and good. Bug negatively impacting players? bad so fix. Bugs good benefiting players or adding depth? Good, keep. Its not that hard to get.