Help: Still not understanding IAS and channeled ET

I’ve been looking looking at old reddit posts about wicked wind breakpoints and I’m still not sure the relationship between ias and dps for wicked wind.

There’s a breakpoint chart that shows how increasing your attacks per second reduces frames per attack.

And damage for twister happens at the ticks - “Energy Twister ticks for a total of 127.083% weapon damage as Arcane to all enemies within 8 yards from the bottom center of the twister every 0.5 seconds for a total of 12 ticks. The first tick occurs after 0.5 seconds.”

So can someone help me bridge the gap between frames per attack and how it relates to ticks and dps – with channeled wicked wind using etched sigil.

I’m just trying to figure out the balance between ias, AD and RCR for dps.

Back in the day™ the tick rate of twister would scale with IAS. Then that was changed and the ticks were not affected by IAS at all. I would be surprised if this wasn’t still the case.

The reddit post you are probably referencing (Energy Twister Mechanics Explained?) talks about the attack/cast animation. The d3 engine runs at 60fps. So if an attack animation is 60 frames long, that’s one attack per second. If it’s 30 frames long, that’s 2 attacks per second. IAS scales the animation length, going from a base length that can vary by skill.

So more IAS = can cast more twisters, but those don’t tick faster or deal more damage.

PS: Haven’t started the game in at least 4 years, so take it with a grain of salt.

1 Like

I can confirm that Energy Twister’s tick rate does not scale with AS currently 2.6.10 on live. They will overlap as mentioned though.

@ockhamdesign:

Attack speed is still a very nice DPS increase, even when in combination with DW / ES.

Please remember to optimize for Etched sigil breakpoints as indicated here though:

I decided to keep my attack speed under 1.66 for the 12FPA.

The bump to 10FPA required using a generator and losing my Aquila and Squirts too often.

At 12FPA, I’m stacking RCR so I can just stand and channel and tank affixes.

My build still feels really tanky at 131.

Update: I was able to clear 132 in non-season solo under P4000. It’s a fairly tanky build. At one point I was stuck in a pack of 2 elites + 3 champions and was able to tank the affixes for about 40 seconds or so before I could escape.