HC disconnects, dead on reload

I’m extremely angry. Is this happening to anyone else? 2 Days in a row I have been in a greater rift and get disconnected and when I return my hardcore character is dead. I don’t ever remember having this problem when not in HC mode, seems very convenient. My computer specs are way above the minimum, I have the video settings on moderately low, and my isp is fast (average 2mb/s) and reliable. I find this completely unacceptable. This has been my favorite game for the past year, but I refuse to play it anymore. I’m done.

Then why did you click Accept on this…

Permanent Death

You have but one life, eager hero. If you should die, though your deeds will be remembered, you shall not return again.

Customer Service will not revive a fallen Hardcore hero for any reason. All of your hero’s items will be lost forever upon death.

1 Like

Howdy!

I certainly understand how frustrating dying in Hardcore can be. I’ve died in so many different ways at this point. Power Outage in 2016, Locked-down then lasered to death, accidentally clicked right into an exploding mob, and so many more…

I would recommend if you decide to continue to play hardcore to make sure to troubleshoot the connection. A fast internet connection is only as strong as it’s the weakest point. Meaning if something is occurring at the PC, Home network or ISP route such as packet loss or spikes in the connection that may impact the game. We provide basic troubleshooting Here. If the issue continues I would recommend trying to capture a disconnect with a WinMTR running to host IP: 24.105.30.129 Try to keep the test length to about 10 minutes at a time. Feel free to post the results back here if it continues. I would add that I don’t recommend a WiFi connection if you play Hardcore it only takes one disconnect at the wrong time to die.

I hope this information finds you well. You may also post up your Dxdiag for us to review, along with the WinMTR results. Copy the dxdiag contents into your reply, highlight the text then select the code block icon </>. This action will help us review any possible hardware or driver issues.

Thank you!

Because I didn’t die… I was disconnected from the server

The cause of the disconnect that resulted in your dead hero could have been as a result of an interruption of connectivity at any point between your PC and Blizzard’s servers. As most people’s traffic will go via 20-30 hops, that means many of the hops are outside the responsibility or purview of you, your ISP or Blizzard.

That’s why the agreement states “for any reason” because many of the reasons you lose the hero have nothing to do with Blizzard.

OK, I’ve decided I’ll one more try and I will try the MTR, although I will be very surprised if that is the problem… Thanks Z

The way D3 is programmed, your character stays in game for about 10 seconds after you disconnect, for any reason. During that time your char can die. It does not matter if the power goes out, an internet cable is damaged 1000 miles from you, your PC explodes, or your cat steps on your router.

They do that so that people can’t just alt F4, pull the internet connection, or shut down the PC when they get into trouble in HC. Sadly, that is required because otherwise people cheat. They also had to stop allowing HC chars to be revived during an account rollback after compromises because people were faking compromises to get HC chars back.

I am very sorry for your HC char loss and hopefully if you continue to play HC, you can avoid it in the future.

Update: After a ton of trial and error I have found the issue… and it was not the internet connection. My laptop, while a gaming laptop, can still overheat and was set to actively shut down all programs until the temperature was back in an acceptable range. A simple fix, if anyone needs to, just go into your power options, edit plan settings, advanced, process power management, and set system cooling policy to passive (for windows 10), or you can make a custom plan which is what i did. Thanks to all for input… and Meteorblade, I didn’t ask for/want my characters revived, which is what that agreement is for, I know how to read, nor was it my internet connection. I simply wanted to know the problem/see if others were having the same issue, try to be relevant/helpful in this section.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Battlestar - game crashes

A post was split to a new topic: FTProtocal - Disconnections resulting in character death