Hang/gray screen after choosing character

This has just started happening. I can start the game and choose any character but when loading the screen will draw the right scene with no player character and then freeze. The computer is NOT crashed or frozen. I can try to start other apps but the D3 window is full screen and gray and keeps popping up over everything. I can log off or restart to fix it.

have 45MB log file with the time stamp just increasing:
2020.04.20 16:33:55.362035300 WARNING: W 21:33:55.362691 [BGS] |event=rapidxml_parse_error|what=expected <|where=000002238c2ab4a0 (src\low\rapidxml\bgsxml.cpp:14)

Let me know if you any further logs/info. Include some system info if it helps:
AMD 3800X, NVidia 2070 super, 32GB memory - Latest windows updates, nvidia drivers 445.87 (happened on last 2 versions).

Hey there,

Can you try resetting the game settings to see if that helps?

If not, go ahead and post two things, your DXDIAG and the D3Debug log file from the \Diablo III\x64 folder.

1 Like

Resetting the game settings seemed to work last night. I exited and restart the game multiple times. However this afternoon, I got the same game freeze as before. I have edited the D3Debug file to remove some of the repeated error lines. I kept the first ones and the last ones so you can see the time span. Today it was only 16MB rather than the 45MB last night.

D3Debug.txt https://pastebin.com/embed_js/dTRAX7d6
DxDiag.txt https://pastebin.com/embed_js/K3spamLq

Yeah… posting links is forbidden unless you’re TL 3 or higher… Use preformatted text :

• Paste the link as you did,
  • Highlight the entire link,
  • Click the </> button on the formatting bar at the top of the Reply window.

Your links would appear as:

D3Debug.txt https://pastebin.com/embed_js/dTRAX7d6
DxDiag.txt https://pastebin.com/embed_js/K3spamLq

The links cannot be clicked but others can copy-paste your links into their browsers without having to hunt down the spaces.

Thanks! Changed them just to make sure they are all correct.

1 Like

Thanks Aythos,

Strange that the issue returned after resetting the game settings worked. This sounds like it’s probably a display/resolution issue. Do you have Nvidia Geforce Experience installed and is it optimizing the game settings? The issue could be caused by another program changing how the game is displayed.

Try switching the game to run in Windowed mode and see if that gets it to launch.

1. Start the Blizzard app
  2. Select the game icon on the left
  3. Click on the Options menu (below the game logo) and select Game Settings
  4. Check the box “Additional command line arguments”
  5. In the new text box, type the following command:
    -w
  6. Click Done at the bottom to save the changes, then hit Play to launch the game again.

I don’t even install Geforce Experience. I generally only run the game with nothing else running, maybe a browser, so not sure what other programs would be changing the display.

I’ve been getting the game to run by trying enough times. So not sure the resetting the setting actually fixed anything or it just worked that time. So far if I spend enough time in the game settings/achievements/etc. it usually works.

I had it running earlier and changed the command line to use the -w and its still working.

EDIT (since I can’t reply until someone else does):
Using the -w command seemed to work on Wednesday. But today (Thursday) I got the same freeze, same error in the log file. Although it is easier to kill since its windowed rather than full screen.

It seems like its something like the first connection of the day has issues. If I can restart/wait/etc… enough to get it working then it seems to work for the rest of my play time.

Other games are working at the same 4k res, X plane 11, Cities: Skylines, Skyrim special edition & Torchlight II are ones that I’ve recently tested. Was playing WoW before my subs expired at the beginning of the year.

Is there anything else I can try? Although getting stuck trying to parse XML probably isn’t anything just plain settings will fix.

Aythos,

If it’s only happening on the first connection of the day, that suggests we may be looking at a firewall or security issue. Basically, something blocking the reading of a file or our access to your drivers. If you’re running any third party security can you try temporarily uninstalling it? After that, restart the PC and retest things. If that doesn’t work, let’s have you try manually running windows updates (make sure to click the check for updates button, it doesn’t always get minor updates).

If neither works, you’re most likely running into a Windows account permission problem. Even if you’re on an administrator account, the registry of your account can sometimes get messed up by things like viruses, security programs, or even just a bad windows update. Let’s try creating a new admin and trying there. If it works on the new admin, it means the old account is broken. Easy fix - just move your files over and delete the old account. You can also work with Microsoft to fix the old account if you like.

Hopefully one of those fixes it, but if not, can we snag a new DXDiag and copy of your D3Debug?

Getting the same thing. Enter the game and it instantly hangs. Characters just start moving and freezes. Alt-Tab out and goes grey. Can’t see task manager to kill it so have to restart. Got this every now and then before along with a D3D error but don’t get it anymore. It was fairly rare maybe once in 50 game starts. Today its happening every time I start a game.

NV1660ti, latest driver. Will try resetting and messing with video settings.

I have not been able too start the game for 1 mounth now.
I tryed too repair and uninstall/install didn help.

Hi Sleepy,

You didn’t say but… are you getting an error code ? or a crash ID ?
(A crash ID is that God-awful 30 something long hexadecimal code that the game sometime spurts out when it crashes).

If you are using a Razer mouse and/or a Razer keyboard, see the workaround here:

You should probably start your own topic if the above does not solve the issue… and provide a DxDiag as suggested above by Blizzard.