[Guide] Zodiac Rend (Season 20)

Assuming the bonus is now a separate multiplier, yeah, it essentially allows your other dibs bonuses to be worth about 3 GRs. The addition of Avalanche only adds about 3% damage.

And extracting in the cube isn’t even a very good option, since it’s really desirable to have the max fury secondary that can’t roll on Furnace.

I looked through them and I think we might be good. I noticed SS - Shattered ground game guide description says it throws the monsters into the air though. Not sure if that’s any sort of cc? Might be a pain for grouping density regardless.

Yeah, that counts as a knockback. It’s a similar effect to the Monk’s “Deadly Reach” primary or the “Halcyon’s Ascent” amulet.

1 Like

Can’t recall: Does Furious Charge cause knockback? One of the clones uses that skill (Battering Ram).

For Rend, any CC not applied by your toon is bad CC. There are other builds for other classes that operate under the same principle, and I think they might also be in a spot of trouble with the season theme.

I

I don’t question these words of experience, but I do not understand the reasoning behind them. Sure mobs can get cc immune, but Whirlrend does not depend on cc’ed mobs for its dps, contrary to a lot of other builds. So the CC can help control.

Im sure there is an explanation im missing?

Yes.

WW/Rend does best when the hero can gather huge amounts of mobs together, so it can maximise the damage caused by manually applied Rends, which benefit from Area Damage.

That gathering is done over short range via Ground Stomp, and over longer range via Ancient Spear / Rage Flip. When mobs have had too much CC applied to them, you can no longer move them with Stomp or Spear, which means you cannot get as much density.

So, the clones are potentially an issue, because they’ll prevent the hero gathering mobs up, to do the most effective area damage in density.

it is time lost or damage/progression lost depending on what you do with the
CC mobs. Either way CC mobs is bad. I would add that all CC is bad for this build but there is no way around it.

Meteor and Chris are correct. I’ll add my two cents.

To maximize DPS with this build, we need to group LOTS of density, especially when we can get it into or very near an Oculus bubble. You use Spear to drag mobs (mostly big clumps of trash and elites) to good locations (T-tiles, intersections), and right before we hit our Physical COE, we Stomp that density we just built into Oculus. We also cast Stomp periodically to keep up Band of Might, and you’ll inevitably drop some hard CC on mobs doing that.

So, this build uses hard CC to group density and re-position mobs in order to maximize DPS. If too much CC is applied, mobs go CC immune, and that can disrupt grouping and thus lower your DPS. This is why you never want your follower applying any kind of CC to mobs, and also why you need to be careful when using Stomp and Spear; one bad pull can ruin your grouping at a critical moment!

Hope that helps!

Free, you need to see the shoulders and chest piece I had drop last week. Both GOD rolls. I am now done with shoulders and chest slots forever unless anything changes. Now the only places I can improve are an area/damage band of might, ancient flavor of time. perfect quad gloves, and perfect triple weapons. I can only improve about 20% total from these 5 pieces. I will be running season bounties off and on for the rest of the season.

1 Like

I was on the PTR and spotted Rage was Rank 1 with a GR126 so I just had to…
https://i.imgur.com/ZxlSIDz.jpg
Seems someone else did the same thing though and pipped me to Rank 1.

1 Like

Don’t worry MB I just got him for you. Crazy how fast I kill stuff in 130s. I tried a 132 but that must be where my damage falls off now. Also could be seeing the extra little bit of help from MOC in its original state.

1 Like

Haha, yep, you got me. Almost cleared a 129, would have gone down, but I had sent home my Templar to do some testing and forgot to hire him back again. No Oculus circles = :worried:

Dude did 135. I’m good that’s too much work…lol

1 Like

Sorry I’m only answering this now:

Yes.

1 Like

So looking at world leaderbaords and comparing last era to current. At the top end wwrend is now at 148 with 150 being surely possible based on rank #1 time of 12:53. This clear is 2 levels higher then previous eras rank#1. At the bottom end of top 200 we are approaching 100% 137 plus clear. This is also about 2 levels higher then the previous eras clears as well. Considering the nerf to MOC in the core build and a decent ban wave affecting both power and quantity of players. With MOC back in full force it looks like a new era will be very competitive. Could we see a barb 150 first? what about top 200 being all 138+ or higher. Looks like fun to me.

3 Likes

Made it to 129 quite easily after dumping Crimson… YAY!
The Core Build makes me feel invincible. I can literally ignore beams while fighting in density. It’s that much more tanky! You guys know your stuff :wink:

8 Likes

Crikey…

…and you did it at 2700ish paragon and no Flavour of Time.
That’s good going. Well done.

Good job, Wanderer!!

Nice work! And yes, the Core build is super-tanky.

Yessir we have a new convert. Go for the 130+ club dude. When I switched I was pushing 131 with about 4k paragon. I cleared 131 on the second key and very little practice with using spear in solo. Only lots of zbarb practice. I was so amazed by the tankiness of the build a few weeks later I cleared a 134 in less then 60 keys. Spent the last year really focused on paragons and perfect rolls so im really looking forward to next era. Already have 8k bounty mats in season ready to burn on rolling weapons. Still going strong though as I need perfect triple istvans for it to be an upgrade.