[Guide] Zodiac Rend (Season 20)

Cant see your profile. You hardcast when your not pulling and or on the move to your next pull or just running to stay alive. Hardcast rend with half second pause in between. It should not be fast tapping. You need hits between so you get healing sprinkled in. Search wudijos 123 barb clear on youtube. This is exactly how I do it. Obviously hardcast on bosses with adds but even on solo bosses hardcast will help your wrath cooldown and heal you from LPF spent.

On a side note 129 down@1655 paragon in 10 keys. World rank 40.

2 Likes

I was just kidding about the people in the barb chat saying seras doesn’t know what they’re talking about but naturally out of my lame attempt at humor came additional great insight from you so thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Specifically your comment here about the half second pace, not fast tapping, will help me refine. I think I’ve been tapping too quickly. Either that or I used to just forget to hard cast for long periods. But finally the awesomeness of AD in this build sunk in with me, due in large part to an excellent explanation from one of you guys here a month or two ago.

Do you know if it was a conscious decision by the devs for Ambo’s rends to not proc AD? It’s interesting how a little detail like that can make such a big difference in how high you can clear, and how would the average player know that?

No idea about rend decisions. I do know the community wanted it fixed so rend was meaningful and there was some interaction between user and ability. Yes you can set it and forget it but you are not benefiting from a large portion of damage. If rend did proc auto two thing would happen. It would be vastly more powerful and inline with a GOD DH power wise. And also we would be back to tons of lag issues like before. At least now it is short bursts which for the most part the game can handle except when you pull a 200 count of swarms and ruin your run lol.

The website changed and the links from forums don’t seem to work for US profiles currently. If you add “blizzard” between “diablo3” and “.com” it works.

3 Likes

Hi,

Do you mean stronger at a very high paragon once you try going without BOM on either variant?

Sure FnR with COE beats any Crimson variant in long term. But how many players will get to that 4-5k paragon just from sheer levelling to incorporate COE instead of BOM.

Until then I believe Crimsons with COE, with ambo/doombringer or istvans will outperform FnR set up without COE.

I am referencing the season 22 build. The crimson build uses band of might as well. The core build uses FnR. Because of cooldown requirements in FnR crimson will outperform initially then when proper rolls are obtained FnR will take the lead. Remember crimson can drop boon passive with suboptimal cdr for brawler or nerves of steel. Also crimson benefits from coe and ruffly 50% sheet damage from channeling pylons. It is also easy to craft any two CC pieces and slap them on. On top of this getting decent FnR rings very frustrating since crit rolls are not guaranteed like COE and Band of Might.

I get what you are saying, on seasons 22 let’s try to break down the math regarding the two variants (with BOM included). For comparability on short intervals.

Core:
FnR: circa 125% damage multiplier
Mantle of Chanelling 25%.

Total est. 150% damage increase, actual across the rift is likely to be less due to game factors

Crimson:
Crimson set, straight multiplier assuming 50-60% CDR (no need to proc)
COE, circa 40-50%
Extra damage passive 20-25%

Total 120-130%, more predictable/stable

Both about on par in terms of damage, but as noted crimson is more tanky and fluid to play.

Is this correct?

Not quite. You aren’t determining the net multipliers correctly.

F&R + MoC is 2.25 * 1.25 = 2.81, i.e. +181% damage

Crimson + CoE is, let’s say, 1.6 * 1.5 = 2.4, i.e. + 140% damage.

There’s no way you’ll get 20-25% from a damage passive, as Brawler and Berserker’s Rage are both additive with Taeguk, rolls on gear, Battle Rage, and each other. Assume maybe +10% damage if you’re lucky.

So that would be 2.4 * 1.1 = 2.64, or +164% damage.

2.81 / 2.64 = 1.064, or about 6.4% more damage with the F&R setup, which is not a huge amount.

6 Likes

This forum regularly pleases both my inner berserker and maths nerd simultaneously.

8 Likes

Been paying around with the new Necro set, decided to take a break and level a Barb, got all the pieces and ran up to GR100 with BK swords and pretty bad gear.

Always good fun to get back into the spin of things. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

These builds are very close. The only reason I recommend crimson is ease of play. Channeling pylons and difficulty of FnR rolls makes the decision easy for me.

Crimson set defense vs mantle bonus make them almost equal in defensive power.

This is something people may try after perfect roll and 5k paragon are in place.

Great thanks for clarification.

As for ambo/doom why wait for 5k para?

I tried crimson with ambo/doom physical set up and had no issues to close 125 in season at around 2k para (0 gear augments) on 1-2 try. Used weapons master passive for fury generation. No issues with either survivability or fury generation.

I am curious what your paragon is during your 125? I need every bit of defense even with istvans armor bonus at 1700 paragon in 129s. Even pumped up my health to 1.1 mill so I can handle multiple affixes and blighter one shots.by all means if you can run ambos/doom competitively this early definitely go for it. And 5k is just a number that we like to throw around because that is when wwrend tankiness really becomes amazing. I’m 6k in non season and it is impossible to kill me even in a 150 with 20 elites if that was possible.

I disagree with Chris on this. I think that folks should focus on playing the Core build early on to avoid wasting mats in forging Crimson’s and because it requires less CDR overall on gear (to acquire damage parity). Getting perfect FnR rolls isn’t priority #1 early in a Season, and they’re common drops; sooner or later, you’ll get the rings you need with the rolls you need, and that’s better than wasting mats at the blacksmith.

Later on, when fishing for perfect rift conditions, the combination of Spear + Stomp will increase the speed and density of your pulls; the Crimson’s variant can’t take both skills. You also don’t want to learn how to use Spear when you need it; becoming familiar with Rage Flip before it’s required for progression will make pushing easier (assuming you don’t have prior experience with the skill).

However–and this is important–I’m also of the opinion that low-Paragon/early-Season players should play whichever variant has come together in a more optimized fashion. If you got good FnR drops early, cool–go with Core. If you lucked out and rolled great Crimson’s gear early, cool–go with Crimson’s. Ultimately, play the version of the build that is stronger for you then and there, and work toward a better, more highly-optimized Core build down the road.

I did my Season 22 GR123 with Istvan’s.

This afternoon I tried a couple of GR124s with Ambo’s/Doom and best attempt just missed it by 15 seconds (no conduit found) at just shy of 1200 paragon, around 16.7K STR and 675K HP or so. I can tell the extra damage, but it sure feels one hell of a lot more glassy than with the paired blades.

IMO, gearing up a Waste/Crimson hybrid is very easy at the start of season. I had a basic WWrend build that was not optimized for any rolls, just get the set bonus and you can work with it to farm a couple split bounty runs and you’re set for Crimson forging. I had everything within 3-4 hours of starting my season barb.

In terms of spear and stomp, it’s the exact same as core build. You just add a rrog in the wild card slot and your core build gets the extra dps / mitigation boost from crimson set. Swap out mantle for lamentation and you get the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Crimson has no downside in season. It takes 1 and 2 mats from an act respectively. You can get hat from the challenge rift. The rolls on the cc item mean very little as well. The core build has a cooldown requirement were is crimson does not since IP is not used. Then to add on season crimson build uses stomp and spear from day one since IP is not taken. Then as rage has done the math it is only 6.4% behind in damage to crimson. On the defensive side they are ruffly equal. Mantle vs crimson resource bonus. To add on by going crimson you eliminate both FnR and lamentation RNG.

1 Like

Question: why take MoC with Crimson setup?

Wouldn’t optimum be:

Wear BoM + Zodiac + 2 piece Crimson + IB

Cube Ambo, Lamentation, RoRG, CoE

Basically, what Seras said, now that I look at it again…

You dont take MOC with crimson in season
cube is ambos/lamentation/rorg/any of zodiac/bom/coe

By the way, I wanted to give an additional heads up to everybody: the interaction between Relentless and S&B got fixed!

Relentless in particular now adds a TON of survivability to any Crimson setup.

1 Like