[Guide] Raekor Ancient Spear

Does the super-max fury from WT stack up or is it one boost based on distance?

E.g., can one pick up lots of little 5 fury bonuses being point blank?

Curious how nukey the toss can get.

I’m a little bit unclear about your question… but I’ll try to explain in general.

Normally, your Fury bubble goes up to 150 or so (100 base plus 50 paragon). Or, if you have +max fury on gear, or the Animosity passive, it’s a bit higher.

If you are carrying / cubeing Arreat’s Law, this will allow the Weapon Throw skill to “unlock” new segments of Fury bubble, when that skill takes you over the old max.

i.e. , you were sitting there at 150 Fury, and then you hit with Weapon Throw, and this takes you to, say, 175 Fury while raising your max fury to 200.

This “unlocking” happens roughly every 50 points, at 150, 200, 250, and 305 Fury (this last one might or might not have been an error on Blizz’s part).

After each section is unlocked, you can fill it to the next unlock point using any Fury generating ability -Primary skills, Shouts, Charge, Leap, etc- not just Weapon Throw.

Arreat’s lets you have 200 extra Fury points over your normal max. So if your normal max was 150, Weapon Throw could take you up to 350.

Tossing a boulder with 350 Fury does about 2.5x the damage of a boulder thrown with 150 Fury.

Arreat’s also makes Weapon Throw generate extra Fury (up to 50) based on how far away the enemy is. The min and max points on that are unclear.

The old Arreat’s Law says you need to be 20 or more yards away to get the maximum benefit. That could still be the case or the distance could have been increased. I’ll have to test more after the patch goes live.

And, if you are standing right next to a mob and hitting them with Weapon Throw, it’s unclear if you get any extra Fury from Arreat’s… if there is any, based on my testing it is very little.

I hope that answers your question!

1 Like

I think so. I’ll have to play with it. I’m just excited for potentially even bigger bolders.

Hi Rage, I think the last part was what answered the question. From what I understand Dza was wondering if you get some extra fury even when they are close.

That was what I was wondering too, if it worked kind of how Shen’s gem works.

Interresting read Rage thanks for the ideas.

Reading the op and your mention of the Ancients as an alternative I was wondering if the shoulders Fury of the Ancients could be worked in as an alternative.
That would yield you fast Fury recovery and the option to choose Together as One for some extra damage reduction.

I would have sacrifice the Ancient Parthan bracers for it.

Question is if it worth it, I am not as knowledgable as you guys.

Lastly the way I read the description for Arreat’s Law WT can like stated above raise your Fury cap BUT Anc. Spear negates it. So if we cast 5 or 10 WT the next AS will set the fury to base cap so we will have to repeat. Question is if you guys found this cluncky or not.

I think he’s asking if you do more damage when at long range. Less point blank.

The place to use that would probably be with the “Ranger” setup… but, it is kind of a “hedge”, probably not really optimal.

Because if you are doing a good job keeping distance, every hit with WT will take you from one unlock point to the next (150, 200, 250, etc), so there isn’t really much Fury gen by the Ancients happening.

If mobs get up in your face and reduce your extra WT Fury gen via Arreat’s to zero, then the Ancients would be helping more. But, that means that your “game plan”, of staying at distance, has broken down, in which case maybe you’d be better off with a different variant after all.

No not really- you’re just filling up your bubble to the tippy top before you cast your big spender- same as always with Boulder Toss or SS: Rumble.

I was fiddling around with D3planner and saw that 5 roll of IAS does little to nothing for WT IK, only increasing the breakpoint by .5 frames, but with LoD IAS can increase breakpoints by 2 frame, incase anyone was wondering. Based on this, I’d say that IAS for IK would be a wasted stat.

Exactly. It sounds like you get a new bubble of 50 fury that can be filled to max from anywhere.

Ok cheers man,

about the first answer, don’t boulder toss consume all fury? I was thinking that when the idea popped up. In that case the fury generation would or should fill up faster to base max with that combo.

From what I can understand you feel that there is no need since it’s fast anyway and the max up (casting WT) realesing AS feels smooth to play.

Thanks for the answers :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, BT consumes all Fury. But as for getting to base max faster, well, yeah, but not by much. If playing a ranged setup, you are going to have probably a 7 frame Weapon Throw, which at max distance will each give you at least 56 Fury per hit. So to fill to base max will take 3 hits, or 21 frames, which is about 1/3 of a second. Not much time to be saved there.

Yeah, when it’s working properly and you’re maintaining distance from mobs, WT gets you Fury and R6 stacks really fast. The issue will be keeping mobs away from you (or yourself away from the mobs).

1 Like

I looked into Aughild and saw that by dropping SoJ for RORG, I can equip Aughild + IK + Skular. This is much better setup. Props to you!

Hi again have a few more questions… :slight_smile:

1. In order to gain damage reduction from Ancient Parthan’s bracers do we rely on the stun chance from Shen’s alone or? I must have missed something.

2. If we use the Sword and Board passive, like someone suggested,

Sword and Board

While wielding a shield, reduce all damage taken by 30% and reduce Fury costs by 20%.

we go that last part stating Fury cost reduction. It should synergies with Crimson, right?

To critisize my self going that way may be a bad choice since we remove some of the cube suggestions you posted. Nontheless it might be an option if damage reduction is needed.

1. Could Animosity be an interesting choice for upping AS damage? That would mean the need to go for a Hellfire neck. Welcome to hell getting a nice one :stuck_out_tongue:

2. I am curious about the Boulder toss damage bonus. Does apply to the set generated extra ones aswell?

I think I will hold here, if I have any more questions I might bug you more, guys thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Freeze from the Cold Rush rune of Charge (you get all runes from the set).

Yes. S&B is much more effective with Crimson than without it (you get an extra 20% mitigation when using Crimson).

When just charging around and stopping at the 150 base fury, Animosity will give you roughly ((170 - (25 * 0.72)) / ((150 - (25 * 0.72)) = 15.15% extra damage, which is appreciable.

(This is assuming, btw, having 28% RCR from paragon + Crimson)

But when filling up with Weapon Throw, it only gives you ((370 - (25 * 0.72)) / ((350 - (25 * 0.72)) = 6.02% extra damage, which is not nothing, but definitely less good than other available options, like Ruthless.

Yep.

2 Likes

Ah, there is what i missed to notice :wink:

Cheers man, oh and about animosity, the real loss would be multipliers aswell. So a big no go.

Thanks for the replies

1 Like

Any changes to the EN build given the removal of Shield Pylon?

How high do you think a Jagged Edge build could go (both speed GRs and pushing)?

Not really, I’d still recommend the F+R setup since it has fairly reliable toughness. Or “Immortal” for Hardcore (at least to start out), since you really don’t want to die.

Hmm… well, I ran through a 110 with it on the PTR no problem, but that’s not saying much.

With Jagged Edge, of course, the problem becomes just keeping Stacks rather than Fury, since you don’t spend your Fury all in one go, but still dump 5 stacks per Spear.

I think the best Jagged Edge pushing setup would probably be built a lot like a Raekor HOTA Barb: build up stacks during CoE downtime, then dump as many as you can during your damage phase, while syncing with WOTB. In this instance, you’d get much more damage out of CoE than out of Crimson, so the highest dps setup might well be 6 pieces Raekor, wear PoC, Endless Walk, CoE, cube BoM.

But, that’s not an optimal cycle for speeds, since you’re always waiting for your damage element. I dunno, maybe GR 100 for real speeds, and the mid- 130’s for pushing, if you were a good Raekor HOTA player with moderate (4k-6k) paragon?

It might actually be better than Boulder for T16s though, since you should just about 1-shot everything anyway, and don’t need to worry about Fury.

1 Like

Maxroll Raekor guide has been up since yesterday. Probably not final yet.

https://d3.maxroll.gg/guides/raekor-boulder-toss-barbarian-guide

Thoughts?

Their “GR solo push” setup is basically identical to my “Main Build”. In gameplay, they talk about wall-charging vs the boss to build stacks and Fury… that is almost certainly just a mistake, a holdover from an old Raekor HOTA guide. You obviously want to stack Stricken and get stacks and Fury with Weapon Throw, which is a zillion % better in every conceivable way.

For T16’s they use Harpoon, which is fun. I don’t really list a build explicitly for T16’s, other than “Blunderfury”, which uses Jagged Edge. Any of the runes really ought to kill everything, so it should not matter much what you take.

For “GR solo speed”, they go with Crimson and CoE, which I think is maybe less efficient than just taking F+R. The overall damage you get from Crimson + CoE is a little bit higher (~15% or so extra), but waiting for CoE when you’re trying to be fast is annoying. They take Messerschmidt in the cube where I said In-Geom… either will work great, with In-Geom being a bit better for elite hunting and Messerschmidt better for clearing density.

They also take Fury of the Ancients in the Cube… as I said recently, this is sort of a “hedge” in case you can’t generate enough Fury from just Charging… not sure if it will actually pay off much. And, they don’t take Weapon Throw for speeds. I just left it on the bar, since it’s good for 1-shottting the boss, or quickly building stacks if you’ve run out and only have one elite left to kill.

But, I’m sure this setup will work just fine.

2 Likes

I am loving these odds upgrading rare yellow spears in the cube to get the weapons I need., lol

edit - 1 primal down

1 Like