Leap with fire, unleash ice, obliterate all in the frozen hell
I-INTRODUCTION TO THE BUILD
This build is aimed at utilizing Seismic Slam-Permafrost as the main damage dealer. It utilizes 5 Pieces of Might of the Earth Set (MOTE), 2 Pieces of Immortal King Set or 2 Pieces of Crimson set for pushing purposes and 2 Pieces of Istvan’s Blades combined through the Ring of the Royal Grandeur in the cube. I cleared 114 (CC variety) with 1762 paragon, Sasguash cleared 112 with 1300 paragon. Someone in China cleared 118 with it. Felix cleared 119 (CC variety instead of IK) with 2200 paragon. Storm cleared 121 at 2150ish paragon (he utilized crimson instead of IK). Archael cleared 128 with CC variety replacing BoM with Zodiac and PoC with Mortics in cube. Currently, we don’t know its cap potential.
Note from the author:
This is probably the only guide that I will ever write but I love this build and have been playing a form of SS build since S4. The suggestions here are the outcomes of game play from many seasons. Of course, you can always find something to improve.
I am adding a build selection rubric considering there are couple of variations to choose from (details are at section XIV-Alternative Build Options)
|Paragon Tier||MOTE6P||IK2P||CC2P||IB||BoM||Zodiac||PoC||Mortics||Fury Shoul.||Stats|
|Low||X||X||-||X||X||-||-||-||X||AD=IAS>STR or CdR|
|Low-Mid||X||-||X||X||X||-||X||-||-||CdR>AD>IAS or STR|
|High||X||-||X||X||-||X||-||X||-||CdR>AD>IAS or STR|
Note: All build combinations use Fury of the Vanished Peak and Royal Ring in cube. The armor slot in the cube will be as shown in the table above.
- AD: Area damage
- CHC: Critical hit chance
- CHD: Critical hit damage
- IAS: Attack speed increase (sheet value)
- SS: Seismic slam
- MOTE: Might of the earth
- IK: Immortal king set
- CC: Craftable crimsons set
- IB: Istvan’s blades
- LpF: Life per fury spent
- DR: Damage reduction
- CdR: Cooldown reduction
- CoE: Convention of elements
- PoC: Pride of cassius belt
III-NEEDED WEARABLE ITEMS
- 5 Pieces of MOTE set
- Immortal King Belt and another armor piece from the immortal king set or Crimsons craftable set belt and another set armor piece.
- Istvan’s Blades (Dual wield sword set)
- Bracers of Destruction
- Traveler’s Pledge and Compass Rose set
- Band of might
With patch 2.6.6 You can use 2P Crimsons craftable set instead of IK pieces. Find more details in Alternative Build Options section.
IV-NEEDED CUBE ITEMS
- Fury of the Vanished Peak
- Fury of the ancients shoulder piece (or pride of cassius if pushing with 2P crimson variety instead of IK)
- Ring of the Royal Grandeur
V-STATS NEEDED ON ITEMS
In this build we are trying to maximize our attack speed and our area damage in IK variety while CdR and AD when CC is used instead of IK for pushing.
- Helmet: STR / CHC / SS damage increase, Vitality Gem for IK variety. If 2P Crimson is used Diamond Gem.
- Boots: STR / VIT / All Res / SS damage increase
- Bracers: +X% Increased Cold Damage / CHC
- Gloves: CHC / CHD / AD / IAS for IK and CdR for CC variety.
- Rings: CHC / CHD / AD for IK or CdR for CC variety.
- Amulet: STR / +X% Increased Cold Damage / CHC / CHD (Elemental and STR can be swapped if a primal or ancient is used with a high STR value).
- Belt: STR / VIT / All Res / LpF for IK or % Life for CC variety
- Body armor and leggings: STR / VIT / All Res (or elite damage reduction)
- Both Swords: STR / IAS for IK or CdR for CC / AD
- Shoulders: STR / VIT / ALL RES for IK variant, CdR for CC variant / AD
Notes on secondary stats:
Crowd control reduction on amulet and helm is always beneficial in this build
% reduced melee and ranged damage reduction are favourable stats along with physical resistance
If you are not a very high paragon player, it is almost always better to use rubies in the chest and pants. If you are +3k, 4k paragon player, you can opt for diamonds instead.
Added Note Post Patch 2.6.6:
If you go with 2P crimsons set (CC), you want to max out the CdR stat followed by AD and IAS
Bane of the trapped (SS permafrost will proc this always no matter how far, BIS)
Bane of the stricken (Without this RG fight will be an eternity long)
Zei’s Stone of Vengeance (More detail regarding the interaction between Zei’s, No Escape and Bloodshed will be explained later).
- Call of the Ancients, Together as one rune if 2P IK is used (fury shoulders in cube). If 2P CC set is used, Fury of the Ancients.
- War Cry, Veteran’s warning rune if 2P IK is used. Ignore pain, Ignorance is bliss if 2P CC is used.
- Battle Rage, Bloodshed rune
- Wrath of the berserker, Insanity rune
- Leap, death from above rune
- Seismic slam, Permafrost rune
- Ruthless (MUST)
- Rampage (MUST)
- No Escape (MUST)
- Bloodthirst (Optional if you can regenerate life in some other way) Boon of Bulkathos if CC variety is used.
- Enchantress: Focused Mind for 3% Increased attack speed for a little more juice.
X-HOW TO PLAY
When you start a rift, you follow your skill executions as follow from 1 to 4 (very straight forward build)
- Pop Call of the Ancients: They will provide 50% DR and through the cubed fury of the ancients shoulders, they will build your fury. If you have a good deal of IAS in your stats, your ancients will attack very fast and build fury for you. Don’t forget to recast this skill at least once more right when you are at your highest attack speed (Berserker+Istvan 5 stacks+if speed pylon is used) as this skill snapshots your attack speed at the moment of casting. This will make the ancients hit faster and build fury faster.
- Pop War Cry: War cry will provide you 20% bonus armor and 30% dodge chance, a crucial amount of dodge chance to give you the chance to regenerate your life through hits, kills and LpF
- Pop Battle Rage: Bloodshed rune will sum all the huge crits dealt by your SS and translate those into damage explosions 20 yards around you (more will be explained about this later).
- Leap once: This is critical. When we leap we proc band of might, which provides us 80% DR for 8 seconds. Coincidentally, this duration matches with the armor bonus provided by the MOTE 4P bonus. Therefore, you leap once and then you slam for 7 seconds. Then you leap to a proper location again to deal the maximum damage. More explanation will be given later how far away you need to slam from.
Notes: You pop Wrath of the Berserker only at elite encounters and you try to utilize oculus procs as much as possible. Oculus procs always supersedes and takes priority over the slams from distance.
Note for CC Variety Gameplay:
As your CoA is not permanent, ignore pain is crucial in your survival so try to aim for +60% CdR. This amount of CdR provides significant uptime for your CoA, which builds constant fury for you.
XI-FROM HOW MANY YARDS SHOULD YOU SLAM?
The following case study is carried out on my SS setup:
I assumed my paragon to be 800 (higher paragon will amplify the damage significantly) and carried out a DPS analysis considering 4 cases:
|Case 1||Case 2||Case 3||Case 4|
|1 Mob||5 Mobs||10 Mobs||15 Mobs|
As you can see in the graph here
No Escape (active above 15 yards), Zeis (active at every 10 yards up to 50 yards) and Bloodshed (Active within 20 yards) interact and amplify the damage dealt between 15 and 19 yards. This is your fighting distance when you face a group of mobs, which gets ridiculously higher the more paragon you have. If you are fighting a single mob or a rift guardian without ads, you slam as far as 50 yards (somehow D3planner does not show the damage increase correctly considering Zei’s).
Please note that Zei, No Escape, Ruthless and Trapped are all multiplicative damage buffs within their own category. Therefore, they can amplify the damage output greatly if you can manage the distance properly.
XII-SOME TIPS FOR KEY ELEMENTS OF GAMEPLAY
When you are fighting a single enemy, you may occasionally run into fury problem. In these cases, try to receive some damage from them as long as you can regen it. This will help build your fury to kick starts your slams.
As another fury build alternative (if there is no poison pool etc), you can leap on the single mob and slam a bit this will build your fury fast. Then you can leap away to shoot your slams.
For rift guardians with adds, fury is not a problem as those mobs will hit you no matter what. This will build your fury.
Apart from these tips, your ancients should provide you with a good enough fury regen
You can only survive if you can slam fast enough and spend fury fast enough.
You want resource course reduction in your paragon to be able to slam more. However, this will nerf your LpF healing. As a result, you need as much IAS as possible.
You can only survive if you leap at every 8 seconds. You forget this and you are dead.
When running from one mob group to next (if your leap is on cooldown), Traveler Pledge and Compass Rose will provide you 50% DR while moving so this brings another DR layer for alternative situations.
Note that 4P bonus of the MOTE set is a DR that scales with more main stat (STR). Therefore, we are trying to capitalize on that. As a result, higher STR means higher damage and higher DR.
Also as a final tip, this build requires a slow game play style. You leap from mob group to mob group while slamming backwards. This will make the mobs follow you and work like a crowd control. Also, you need to watch for Arcanes, frozens and other explosive damage that can kill you. You evade these as much as possible so you need to be engaged in the gameplay (pretty fun when you get used to it).
XIII-SAMPLE GAME PLAY FOOTAGE
- You can see a sample game play after Patch 2.6.6 here. The first is my MOTE 6-IK2-Istvans character (more user friendly build for beginners), the second is Storm’s MOTE6-CC2-Istvans build (more pushing oriented build, need more experience and skill). The 3rd Archael’s 128 clear with MOTE6-CC2-Istvans Zodiac replacing BoM and Mortics replacing PoC in cube.
Storm’s Mote 6-CC2-Istvans variety
Archael’s 128 clear MOTE6-CC2-Istvans-Zodiac Replacing BoM and Mortics replacing PoC in cube
So leap 16 yards away and keep slamming bois.
XIV-ALTERNATIVE BUILD OPTIONS
Ultimately, people may opt for Frostburn instead of Fury of the Ancients shoulder in the cube (or Lut socks and Earthen might as alternative fury build tools). I found that Fury of the Ancients shoulder is the most consistent option.
High CdR variants for pushing Some other setups might be derived from the main setup through high CdR values and Pride of Cassius belt used in conjunction with Ignore Pain-Ignorance is bliss/or iron hide. In one alternative (Pre 2.6.6), you could drop royal ring and use CoE instead with the same skillset except instead of WC, you use IP. With patch 2.6.6, there is an even stronger high CdR variant: Royal ring and Crimsons craftable set belt and pants may be utilized (PoC in cube). Instead of bloodthirst, boon of bulkathos can be used. For CoA rune fury of the ancients should be used. High CdR will facilitate permanent ignore pain while crimson set translates the CdR to damage multi. with RcR to damage reduction. This option cleared 121 at 2100 paragon. However, this variety has fury starvation problem occasionally and downtime for CoA and WotB. It has higher DPS potential but it has moments of vulnerability than the main build. This can be adressed as Archael’s modification: Replacing BoM with Zodiac and PoC with Mortics in cube. Currently, this version cleared 128 with almost permanent berserker and CoA. Definitely not a first time user friendly but a go to for pushing.
Some, especially Hardcore players , may choose to utilize IK boulder breaker instead of Istvan Blades to have permanent Wrath of the Berserker. This is also a solid build almost the same as this build. However, at higher grift levels, slow hitting IKBB will not regen your life as fast as needed. This will be remedied with cubing Mortics bracers instead of fury of ancients shoulder piece in cube. Then, you have to select Fury of ancients rune for CoA rune. Mortics will provide equal toughness values while providing significant LpF needed for MOTE6-IK4 with IKBB. As a result of added LpF, you can choose another passive instead of bloodthirst (Nerves of steel for hardcore or tough as nail for even more armor)
If you are comfortable for your healing, you can replace WarCry with Overpower / Killing Spree for extra 8% critical hit chance, this will give you about 10% increased damage (Reference: Nubtro). Or you can replace battle rage / Bloodshed with OP-Killing Spree if you want to fight from as far as possible without needing to gauge your distance. I will be trying this variant later on
I don’t own this build. It is nothing new and similar builds have been used by players such as:
-And many other players that I cannot remember. We can update the reference list further later on.