Graphic card overheating, even in low

try undervolt with MSI afterburner. find it helpful to keep gpu temperature under 80℃ and with no lagging due to overheat any more with my small laptop. you can find a lot instruction form youtube :+1:t6:

this brought my temp down by 13c :slight_smile:

1 Like

The original D2 had problems with gpu’s? Really? Never really heard much about that, and I had a sub par machine at the time, problem I had was things freezing in big mobs and/or when playing multiplayer when everyone was together killing bosses, i always lost out on picking up loot till I got a better video card.

As for this version, I didn’t notice anything with my cards fan working hard, I’ll have to check that next time I’m on, running a 2070 super and seemed to run fine this morning

1 Like

Thanks. I actually figured out to just change desktop res and that worked.

1 Like

Np man. Also, sometimes a more aggressive fan curve can help, a lot of people are playing with the stock fan curves and they’re rather weak, especially on AMD cards.

1 Like

I experienced the same issue with my RTX 3070 (GPU usage @100% and temps above 80 deg. C) when I had my monitor (2560x1440) refresh rate set to 120 Hz.
Changing the monitor refresh rate to 60 Hz resulted in GPU usage at 75-80 % and a stable temperature of 55 deg. C, with the ‘very high’ graphics preset in the D2 video options.

2 Likes

Same. Totally sucks. Fans all start screaming as soon as I hit the character creation screen. Sucks for a game of this low quality graphics.

1 Like

The original D2 had/has issues with hitting the CPU because it was designed for glide. Open GL was never officially supported as glide quickly faded out in favor of Open GL. So, the graphics ended up being software based which the CPU has to process. Sven’s Glide wrapper (using open GL glide conversion and the Open GL GPU resources) solved this problem rather simply and easily. even an old GPU would barely notice this as the graphical conversion was a minimal hit to existing GPU power.

But instead of Blizzard patching this natively in the game, they left it alone. There were others that had looked into the code of the game, finding all kinds of fixable bugs, such as the aforementioned glide issue, that Blizz never bothered to touch.

If anyone really thinks Blizz will fix the GPU issue in a reasonable time frame (if at all), they are holding onto empty “hope”.

Wasn’t that why they had to limit the recast time of certain abilities, frozen orb in particular?
I vaguely remember frozen orb causing a lot of problems in early patches.

It’s been over a decade since I reviewed all of the bugs that were found by independent coders. But yeah, that very well could have been one of them for sure. The list was long. And these bugs had outlines of how to fix them. Yet, Blizz ignored virtually all of these people and never fixed a thing.

1 Like

OH yeah, i almost forgot -

To get rid of the grass shimmering, I did resolution modifier 90% and FXAA on ANNNNND Sharpening 0% because it was making the grass too damn HD, if that makes sense. I’m glad you found a workaround by hard setting the desktops resolution. Whatever works =)

Same! Our 3080ti should run this game as a subtask but nope, my room got so hot i was sweating.

2 Likes

And Shrunken Breasts XD

Don’t lie, the Butcher was chasin’

Yeah, I turned all settings to medium and lowered a couple of other settings. Still running around 80 C, but I am running a pre-built HP Omen, and these seems to have bad airflow despite having a very open case with mesh opening all around and two added fans. I feel comfortable enough with that for now. Should have went to a PC store like I normally do, but pandemic and all, especially when I upgraded to it last year from my 5 year old pc that ran almost exclusively FF14 pretty hardcore.

80C isn’t going to hurt a GPU.

It may make the room hot, which is unfortunate.

What is your GPU?

not sure what could be going on but other the chat bugs i am honestly shocked at how smoothly this beta has been going for me i was expecting a ton of crashes from bnet alone and my cpu is getting super old (which i thought would be a big problem based on how cpu dependent d2 was compared to gpu but i guess the new engine that runs on top is kinda the opposite). just so we can collect as much data as possible my specs are rather bland on my pc
i7 4770k
gtx 1080
max temps so far are
cpu 67c
gpu 78c
utilization has been
cpu 50-60%
gpu spikes up to 100%
running 2 monitors with netflix on one and d2 on the other
have tested at both 3440x1440 and 2560x1440 (i switched monitors to rewatch avengers endgame on the 21:9 when i realized it was useless for the game.)
ran at 50-60 fps at 3440 and 60 fps at 2560
settings in game are set to the very high graphic preset
100 res scale
0 sharpening
vertical sync checked on

2 Likes

HP OEM NVidea 2080 Super. I knew these cards run hot going in, but wanted to sort of future proof between D2R and D4. Specs are for like 85C before they throttle. It was hitting 86 and turboing fans before I was able to figure how to change resolution. Normally I wouldn’t be as concerned, but with current world chip/labor/etc shortage, I’d rather err on the side of caution. Maybe next year I’ll push specs higher.

1 Like

Yeah I’m starting to wonder if the newer hardware is having more issues than the older. lol

I had this issue and solved it by going to NVIDIA Control Panel and setting the maximum framerate for D2R to something lower, like 60 or 90.

GPU went down from 86 to 60.

1 Like