GoD build - is cubing Dawn a good option?

I can’t seem to find a good Dawn. I was thinking about Cubing Dawn and equipping the quiver.

Anyone try this? Seems to give me better numbers, just not sure that means much in the whole scheme of things.

I found a nice primal amulet, so I am doing a lightning build too. So far, I am only up to GR 83 in HC. I would like to be able to do GR 100.

Any advice?

For solo, a quiver equipped is definitely comparable, and potentially even optimal.

The thing is, while it’s hard to roll a good Dawn, it’s even harder to roll a good quiver. A primal Dawn is almost always usable, while a primal quiver can still be pretty bad. Upside of a quiver is you can use a really well-rolled non-ancient though since you don’t need to worry about having an ancient for the damage range. It’s just also really hard to roll even a non-ancient quiver (590+, IAS as necessary for your breakpoint optimization, high CHC, and at least 2 of AD/Hungering Arrow/CDR, potentially all 3 instead of dex).

However in group play dual-wielding is almost always better. The extra crit chance buffs in a group (particularly with a zdh or znec) definitely favour a dual-wield setup for the higher CHD with the second emerald, and the additional additive damage buffs in groups also mean that the additional 15% Hungering Arrow roll you can get on a quiver generally isn’t worth it.

That being said, the level of optimization I’m talking about doesn’t matter below GR100. If you’re working your way up to GR100, just use whatever you have. Unless you’re exceedingly lucky, you won’t have the luxury of choice at that level. Just use what you’ve got. Have a decent quiver but a garbage Dawn? Use the quiver. Have a really good Dawn but a garbage quiver? Use that.

A lot of people make the mistake of copying a build guide exactly at low paragon. Don’t do that. Adapt to what you have available. What’s optimal for an end-game push when you have every possible gear option available to you isn’t what’s going to be optimal for your entire gearing path as you work your way up. You need to be flexible and adapt, because earlier on in the process, you won’t have the luxury of having well-rolled items for each possible setup. There’s multiple viable setups. Early on, you should just use the one you have the best gear for, even if that setup isn’t your final target. You don’t have to run your end-game setup right from level 70 after you finish your set. There’s lots of time to get there.

7 Likes

I was fortunate enough to find a great Dawn, but I do have it cubed too. IMO, it is much more difficult to find a great quiver than a great Dawn. It needs CHC, CDR, HA damage & AD ideally with a high enough multiplier for HA. That’s the unicorn. I push dual wielding with Dawn & Fortress w/Squirts. I prefer this over Valla’s & Dawn w/ FoT. I find I’m not killing anything with Valla’s & Dawn.

If I were you, I’d reforge Dawn until you get a decent one, but that’s just 1 opinion.

1 Like

https://imgur.com/a/cJOwIVt
https://imgur.com/a/d4B36Ak [cannot embed images/links, sadly]
Had freaky good luck with reforges this season… got helm and Dawn in 5 reforges total!
Though I’ve had no primals for 3 days :sob:
I currently am farming with Valla’s Bequest cubed with Dawn and NCS equipped.