Go with leveling build, or skill by bonuses?

I usually start with a leveling build from icy-veins. But then I see that I’m getting skill bonuses from gear, and sometimes it’s for different skills from what the build says.

So is a 12-15% increase on a skill worth diverging from a recommended build skill?

Builds from websites assume you’ve already gotten to level 70 and are pushing (trying to maximize your Greater Rift level in the fastest time possible) unless they specifically state they are for some other purpose like speed, leveling (which these are super generic as there is no way to know what gear you’ll get so they can only mention “good to have”) or bounties (maxroll.gg does this much better with distinct identities.)

So, if you are trying to follow the guide for what it is intended, then you want to follow the guide. Clearly, they’re also likely assuming “best rolled” items which you are not going to have and likely never will… so, in that case, staying as close to the guide as you can is desired which generally means: don’t use skills not mentioned because they are put there for a reason. If the guide mentions “or” in a skill, then you have a choice… some skills are not mandatory, but, for example, you cannot replace Frenzy in the 90 Savages set.

Wrong. There are leveling builds too.

While leveling try to follow leveling guides/builds. Swap to other skills if you find legendary with good damage bonus to specific skills. Don’t bother with those small 10-15% bonuses until you are at level 70 and trying to maximize your build.

Obviously, since I mentioned them too… try to read. It works wonders for comprehension, doll.

Wrong, again.

You mentioned guides that “asdume best rolled items”. You might be talking about leveling guide that is for all classes which includes things like completing challenge rift, getting Leoric’s Crown, level 1/31 blood shard gambling and so on.

Leveling build assumes:

• 0 (zero) paragon
  • 0 (zero) legendaries
  • 0 (zero) legendary gems
  • no gem of ease

Leveling builds aim for efficient build that has enough damage while keeping resource costs down at manageable level.

Btw, maxroll doesn’t have leveling builds. It’s all about endgame cookie cutter builds. They even bash any builds that can’t do GR150 in 3 minutes solo at 800 paragon.