Gears of Greadlands : Good design bad bugs

The Design:

• Use primary skill to stack momentum buff

• Use strafe to boost the attack speed and consume momentum buff

• By making sure to use primary skill at least more than once every 2 sec, the momentum should be sustained at 10.

Why it is good:
It encourages a skill alternating style and provide an automate hit and run fashion, which lots of DH players have worked hard on the UE multi shot build.

What are the bugs ?

• When alternating primary skill and strafe, the primary skill some time can not stack momentum

• The 4 pc triggered Hungering Arrow can not benefit from the Ninth Cirri Satchel “Hungering Arrow is guaranteed to piece”

• When switching the primary skill, all the momentum stacks get cleared

How good the new set should be as it is designed

• For all the primary skill build, it should push higher than UE set.

Why not let strafe stack the momentum?
I have been so sick seeing people complain about this. It is a matter of *Convenient vs Strong*. DH already have numbers of *Convenient* build to fly through T16 or GR 90-100. At this point, it need a strong build to push 130+. If the new set ends up being an one click automated machine gun and, in the mean time, pushes higher than the other builds. What’s the point of other builds? That will be the worst thing happen in the game.

WWrend. PoJ monk.
That’s why.
You are entitled to your opinions, but do allow others to have theirs as well.
I don’t see why strafe should shoot out primaries, if they are not active most of the time, cause you need to stand still and shoot.

This “new” set, is just a mixture of nat strafe and ue primary build.
It is buggy with stacks dropping fast. It is underperforming a lot.
It brings nothing new other than transmog.

What’s the point of the new Barbarian set, when rend dominates?
What’s the point of Raekor, Ik set. What’s the point of WoL monk.

Would it be so bad, if the speed was a bit slower, but still fast and the damage was there, together with strafe being the main dps skill to use? Look at PoJ monk or wwrend.

5 Likes

I don’t like DH having a set dominating in both convenient and strong. like what happened in some other classes. I actually think the new set is designed pretty good, better than all the other sets you mentioned. Forget about the bugs and numbers, I am just talking about the play style and variety.,

1 Like

Agreed. Number can be adjusted on a whem. I expect to see the 2pc damage bonus moved to like 100 per stack of momentum, the 6pc needs to be much much higher too. I can do 100s in 11-13 mins right now. At 19k mainstat with the build. But I find it fun, but it’s not anywhere near being even in a conversation of 4player meta. I wouldn’t mind if they changed it so you don’t lose momentum while swapping generators. Like if you are using the now with entangling shot in cube. And dawn equipped.

The down side of the momentum stacking hurts more when your not hitting targets with it. Since then your super slow and doing keys will always be left in the dust.

If they can fix the bugs, just let the new set play whatever in its descriptions. The hunger arrow (ice) can be pretty dam good on single target. Not sure for 4player meta, but it will be somewhere comparable to the new impale shadow.

This is due to how it’s coded, the distinction whether momentum stacks are gained or not is not based on if you manually shoot vs strafe shoot. Instead it’s based on if you’re strafing at the moment the projectile hits the target. This is likely a coding shortcut (“while strafing” flag on or off).

I investigated this with Dieoxide and we think it could be that the pierce chance is being mistakenly multiplied by Strafe’s proc coefficient (of 0.25) which of course means less pierces than expected. We noted more pierces occur with the NCS than without, which supports our conjecture, but we don’t have enough statistical data to determine if it is indeed the proc coefficient 25%.

1 Like

Doesn’t WW/Rend Barb already qualify as “convenient and strong”? Barb is probably the most played class this season, and 99% of top 1000 Barb leaderboard is probably WW/Rend build. The build is also super convenient to run T16 Rifts and Bounties.

Crusader can RGK in groups, and also has the highest solo clear out of all classes.

WD also has a high GR clear and is 4man meta.

So…What…? DH can only be good for speed runs and mediocre Grift clears? 4man Pub Grifts where you’ll see alot of people leave the group as soon as the DH joins cause, pub meta? And only a select few Impale DH have a handful of friends to do off-meta push as Impale RGK or ZDps DH.

4 Likes

So you like Dh being the underdog, not welcome in parties nor doing well in solos.
You speak like Dh should not get to be a good class in anything. And that you are fine with it being non competitive and just slacking all over.

3 Likes

I open this thread to talk about Doing Well in solos. It depends on how do you define "Doing Well“。

If “Doing Well” means pushing as high as 130+, as other classes do.
Yes DH definitely need a strong set to do this. And I don’t care if it cost some skills, practice, and complications.

If “Doing Well” means being easy, relax like those boring "Automated Spinning: builds of other class
No. I don’t need it. DH is easy enough in speed farming, pluse it’s boring.

Very cool. If this is the case, I think it should be corrected by removing the “Hit Enemy” constrains. Just simply count the momentum while shooting.

Very interesting. I also tested that even if I equip Kyanon, the triggered HA also not benefit from it. It loos more like a 25% cap on those triggered shot was set internally, instead of a “Mistake”. I can understand that they don’t want too many arrows to make the game laggy. But the entire set need to be buffed in that case, it’s much weaker than it’s original description and it’s no where close to UE Hungering Arrow build now.

I quote your discoveries in another tread of mine below. I hope we can discuss there. Sadly no body pay attention to that bug report.

It might be easy to run bounties / gr90 with it. But I would have loved to see it being a part / viable to group plays as well. New set does nothing. It only brings some ( kinda ) new gameplay and weak damage.

1 Like

I agree, but I never play group anyway. DH might be a good support in the new patch, lets see.

I saw someone streaming running the entangling shot and tried at the same time be bosskiller, but it was not enough from what I saw…

From my understanding. Trying to go full momentum stacks and gaining the dmg increase from entangling shot. Just doesn’t work, as you lose all your stacks when switching primaries. By the time you initially fire entangling shot, you lose the dmg buff from it after you gain 10 (seconds?) momentum stacks. This is all assuming he’s trying to switch to hungering arrow as well. Using entangling shot by itself doesn’t sound very good aside for group runs.

I didn’t see much of the stream. But yeah this new set is pretty underperforming and rather disappointing. Hopefully when they get back from the weekend, that someone is looking at it with some other ideas and/or something at least

I haven’t tried a whole lot with the new set overall. But my main GoD6 build is using bolas for pull (Odyesseys End) and hungering arrow for dmg. Hungering Arrows seems to be able to do good/decent dmg when monsters are pulled together. And gaining 10 stacks doesn’t seem to take too long. I’m using Gogok gem as well for the cdr and attspd.

Not claiming this is optimal but it’s sorta kinda fun and sorta kinda works. I couldn’t tell you if everything works in the build as it should. I’m not able to test or even attempt to test things thoroughly like Iria or DiE. I just don’t have the game knowledge like they do.

I was planning to do the same build since it’s fun. However this build won’t work for now simply because the 2 bugs below:

1. After you shoot the bola, you will lose all your 2pc momentum buff.
  2. The 4pc triggered Hunger Arrow doesn’t “guarantee to pierce” even equip with the Ninth Cirri quiver.

Not arguing your point about #2. But things melt alot faster when monsters are pulled together for some reason…Whether its the pierce or some weird altercations with bolas pull. Trying to kill a single monster isn’t nearly as impressive. I think Iria + DiE weree trying to test it a bit but I haven’t heard anything else of it.

And while it does stink to lose all your stacks after casting Bolas…Theres just nothing else to do with it at the moment until they fix/change it (if they do). But overall, it doesn’t take long to go max stacks from 0.

If they don’t change the set, at least let all primaries stack momentum. Would make entangling shot more viable, using it before dealing damage

I agree with you. I was wanting to try out Entangling Shot + Hungering Arrow as well. One down side for me was…Entangling Shot buff doesn’t last very long, I think 4sec max? By the time you build full stacks (as is right now PTR), your entangling shot buff has (nearly) expired.

Or does Odyssey End dmg buff stay indefinitely after the slow wears off? I doubt it, but I dont know.

Oops, I meant Leonine Bow for pull, not Odysseys End. =)

I think there is some kind of duration, but cannot see for how long. But since you cannot use 2 primaries ( yet ) to both stacking AND buff your damage output, it would not matter. Both bolas and the set needs some tweaking.

If they are stuck on the current one, buff bolas and let at least every primary stack. So you could use bolas and/or entangling shot to buff yourself and then shoot something else perhaps… But I HOPE they rework the set a bit.

I would have loved to see Strafing buffs x amount to traps and also lays traps and then strafe around laying traps all over to damage enemies, but that’s just me hehe