Game screen disappears, but battle.net app says "playing now" as in game is running - zero resource use

Third time it happened in past week, I am a techie and no reason for this to happen. Today, I just ran my highest Greater rift, just as I was about to level up gems, decided to hit Shift+L because it seems to have indicated I made the leaderboard in HardCore seasonal crusader. Not sure if it crashed in responseor before I hit the command, but poof… instantly the game was off the screen and I was looking at my desktop… I have it on settings so that when I start a game, battle.net app closes (get that extra little juice available for D3 just in case it needs / wants it). I restart battle.net app and it is showing “Playing now” under the D3 game, but it is not, I made sure of that: not showing in task manager, services, network traffic etc. Alt+Tab won’t switch to it as there is nothing else running except battle.net app, task manager and cmd (idle - but just in case I want to hop to it and check stuff). I searched forums but haven’t seen anything that would solve my issue, most of those fixes I already tried, don’t work or not relevant. I can post DxDiag here too, but only on request. Been playing D3 on same PC for almost a year now, problems are becoming more frequent (and just as things were getting good - Blizzard listened on Barbs, saders, monks - and I was enjoying it tons).

Separate issues I saw on the boards and echo to confirm: seasonal bonus stutters flow of gameplay, my character freezes for up to 5-20 seconds at a time, several random crashes…

Please help, cheers!

Hey kinderheart,

If the Battle.net app is still showing the game as running this usually means the game process is stuck running, or Battle.net thinks it is. Usually a quick restart of the PC will clear this up so you can launch the game again.

If you restart and load up the Battle.net app and it still shows Playing Now without you launching the game first, then there may be an issue with the Battle.net app. Try deleting the Battle.net tools folder and then reinstall the app.

As for the game closing all the sudden with no error message, this can sometimes happen if there’s an issue with the system running out of RAM or VRAM on the GPU. If it continues to happen you may want to try a Selective Startup to see if you can narrow down if there’s a specific app conflicting with the game client.

Selective Startup
Press Windows Key+R.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
Select the Services tab.
Check Hide all Microsoft services.
Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
Click Disable all.
Click Apply then click OK.
Click Restart.

Click the grayed out “Playing Now” it would relaunch the game for me.

Jambrix,

Having to restart my PC each time is not an acceptable fix. When I exit the game, it consistently says that I am still “Playing now”. This is a relatively new glitch that a Diablo or Blizzard update made…please fix this properly! So far it has done this 4 of the last 5 days that I have played season 20.

[Edited by Moderators] This thread has been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.

5 Likes