Game keeps crashing

Every time I try to play, I get 2-3 minutes in and it just crashes. I have a decent system (16GB RAM, i5-4590, and GeForce GTX 1660) so I’m not sure what is going on. I haven’t played for a while (it worked just fine before) and thought I’d try it again. I have scanned and repaired, and uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing helps. When it crashes I just get a white screen so I have to use task manager to kill it.

3 Likes

As you have mentioned white screen … Do you have any Razer products? If yes, then read this support post: Known Technical Support Issues - [Updated June 21, 2020!]

no razor products here. :frowning:

Ancient code and a mindset that blames the user for any problems is the issue here.

1 Like

Howdy Doberan,

It looks like you may have Avast on the system. Can you try adding Diablo 3 as an exception in that software, or try uninstalling Avast temporarily then restart the PC? You can always reinstall Avast again once this is resolved. If this persists though, let’s get a DxDiag:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Paste the DXdiag into the post, select and highlight everything you just pasted, and hit the “preformated text” button (</>). That’ll make the information much more readable.
It should look like this.

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

pastebin(dot)com/9psJLtHu
(you’ll need to fix the link since this forum doesn’t allow me to post active links)

I uninstalled Avast soon after the crash because I suspected the same, but it is still happening. I also ran several “scan and repairs” which don’t seem to help.

The error says: Diablo III detected corrupted data and was unable to automatically repair the damage. Please run Scan and Repair using the Battle.net Application. It can be found in the Options menu for the game.

Thank you!

Hey there Doberman,

You’ve got a large number of memory leak errors in your DXDiag for multiple products. It’s possible that your Diablo III data is just super corrupted, too much to repair it. You can try reinstalling the game to fix that potentially.

If that fails, however, I’d look into closing other programs which might conflict with your drivers or RAM usage - even your web browser. For instance, I see chrome having these errors too, which may mean that you’re just using too much RAM due to having too much going on your system.

In case you need to do the same in future…

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this… https://pastebin.com/9psJLtHu
1 Like

Thanks, guys. So I’ve closed everything down except the game and that didn’t help. I uninstalled and reinstalled to a brand new directory and that didn’t help either. When I play the game, I have the task manager up and it shows CPU at 18% and Memory at 42% when I play. Doesn’t seem like that would be an issue but I really don’t know what else to do other than wipe my whole machine and reinstall Windows and then reinstall battle.net and then reinstall the game. Seems odd when I was just playing it on the same system a couple of months ago and everything was great.

Before we go with the nuclear option, let’s get a better idea of what’s actually going on with your hardware. You’re welcome to reformat your harddrive and reinstall everything, and it will rule out anything software related if you do, but that’s somewhat extreme and we may just have a hardware issue of some variety that we can pinpoint instead.

To check for this, grab hwmonitor and install it. Then, launch hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5. Save this as Test2.JPG
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully this works.

https://imgur.com/a/9pJyEmL

Doberan,

That was missing a decent portion of the CPU data I was looking for - can you re run that and make sure you snag everything? It’s easier to catch it all if you expand the window to maximum when you take the screenshots.

LOL great - I guess I’ll just have to play some more!! :wink:

here it is:
https://imgur.com/a/IT76CcL

I have also been experiencing this same issue all day. I have tried all of the above suggested and still a no-go.

Yeah, mine lasts a bit longer, but then I get: Error Code: 1016

1 Like

Doberan,

Perfect, thanks for that. This is actually quite interesting. Not a single one of your CPU cores hits the maximum rated clock speed. Your cpu runs by default at 3.3Ghz but is supposed to go up to 3.7 GHz on turbo. However, it’s capped halfway there at 3.5 for some reason. Did you do anything odd with overclocking at any point? If so try disabling all overclocking/XMP you did, and if you disabled intel speedstepping or turbo, re enable those too.

While you’re at it, your GPU does appear to have a decent overclock on it. Let’s try disabling that.

1. Right click on your desktop and choose Nvidia Control Panel
  2. Click the Help dropdown and check the Debug Mode option.
  3. Retest the game.

If all of that fails, it may be time to try the nuclear option. If reinstalling windows itself fails, we know it’s hardware at that point. I may not be able to help much more in that event, and that may mean it’s time to contact a PC tech to look for niche issues I can’t walk you through, but feel free to post your results either way.

Thanks Drakuloth,

I don’t really do any overclocking - I’m not that bright. LOL I did try once, but I didn’t really see any difference so I figured I did something wrong and just reset everything back to default (there is a “return to default” or something like that on MSI afterburner) Anyway -it’s been a while since I tried that. WoW works fine although I’m sure it’s built on a different engine. Can you please tell me where you’re seeing that my GPU has overclocking on it? Again, the weird thing is this was running perfectly a couple of months ago and I haven’t changed any hardware.

I retested by running the game with Nvidia debug mode on, but I’m not sure what I should be looking for. I did make it for 6 minutes before it crashed rather than it crashing after 2 minutes… :slight_smile:

Doberan,

Before we talk results - the way I figured out your GPU was overclocked was comparing the max graphics clock speed on your HWmonitor test for your (1980 MHz) to what’s listed on the Nvidia website for the chip’s default clock speed (1785 MHz). A lot of manufacturers of the Nvidia cards that use the Nvidia chips will put a “factory overclock” on the chip. This overclock makes their card “perform better” than a similar chip which isn’t overclocked, but does have some stability risks associated.

However, that’s exactly the behavior we were looking for. Lowering the clock speeds with debug mode extended the time it took your client to crash. If that is consistently reproduceable (now the crash time is longer each time) we know the problem is hardware stability related. At that point you’re still welcome to reinstall your OS, but I’d be looking more towards the hardware itself.

Now before I comment further please be advised that I am not a PC technician and cannot advise you on any hardware maintenance. However, since messing with your GPU clocks changed things, I’d reach out to whoever made your specific GPU model first (Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac, etc) to see if there’s a possibility for a RMA if it’s still under warranty.

My first guess based on all this behavior is that you just got a lemon, and our engine is asking something of your chip that other games don’t ask of it. That makes our games the trigger, but the root cause in that case would be a faulty graphics chip. It’s not super common, but it does happen occasionally.

1 Like

Thanks Drakuloth. I contacted EVGA and had a support guy troubleshoot with me. We used DDU and got rid of all old drivers and reinstalled new ones. He then had me use a benchmark to test the card and everything tested out. He said because it passed the benchmark just fine and that Diablo3 is the only game where I’m having an issue, that it is not the graphics card.

I’m not sure what else to do now. I tried it again and was kicked out after the usual 1-2 minutes. It’s just so odd… I really feel like my machine is plenty beefy to handle this and the proof is that I have played for many seasons just fine. It just seems like recently something happened.

Oh well, it sounds like we’re about out of ideas. I guess I just don’t play Diablo3 anymore.

UPDATE: I uninstalled Battle.net today and reinstalled it in a new location and then reinstalled Diablo3 on my SSD instead of my 4TB drive and it seems to be working. I’m not sure why that was a problem since that is where I’ve always had it, but it is what it is. Thanks for your help!!

Doberan,

That is somewhat unexpexted but would suggest that there may be some errors with the sectors of your harddrive that you had Diablo III installed to. It’s also possible that the improvements in the behavior were just incidental when you dropped your overclocks. Either way though, we can keep an eye on it for a bit. Just reply back if the issue returns and we can see if we can come up with anything else.