Game Crashing on Startup

Game crashing at startup, sometimes will go into loading into the character screen, most times won’t. I’ve tried everything in the suggestions. Please help.

Hey, Shadowlord! I wasn’t able to find any crash reports sent to us? Do you receive any error messages or the ID when it crashes?

If you do have a Razer product on the system, try disabling the Chroma Effects.

1. Go to the Documents folder.
  2. Select the Diablo III folder.
  3. Open the D3prefs.txt file using Notepad.
  4. Add or Edit the following line. The value should be 1, like so:
    DisableChromaEffects “1”
  5. Save the file and try Diablo III again.

This can impact other games. If you are seeing similar behavior with other games, the guide here should help address the Chroma concerns with other games as well.

If it does continue or there are no Razer products, could you gather a DxDiag file? Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

1 Like

No error messages when crashing, just stutter then reboot computer or freezes going in. I was able to get it running for a bit before but not anymore. No Razer products (that I know of), but here is the DxDiag file. I’m posting the most latest one as of this reply, and one from when I created the support in case there’s anything of use.

[quote=“Caterpepi, post:2, topic:13366”]

Latest dxdiag: 72yTZ4gR
At the time of post: isf7ygcG

Hey there Shadowlord,

Thanks for reaching back out! When the system suddenly restarts, this indicates a critical system failure which is typically due to an issue with Windows or hardware within the machine. Here are some of the common causes for system restarts:

• Hardware Overheating
  • Conflicting/Corrupted Drivers
  • PSU (Power Supply Unit) Issue
  • Faulty Ram (Memory)
  • Graphics Card
  • CPU & Thermal Paste (Motherboard)

Keep in mind that a game cannot cause your system to restart, but is only triggering some underlying issue. In order to isolate what is causing your specific problem I recommend these resources:

Why does Windows restart without warning?

Computer Restarts or Shuts Down While Playing a Blizzard Game

I hope these resources help solve the underlying issue!

This worked for me 3/7/20

But it doesn’t always reset, just crashes. Is there anything in the dxdiag files that indicates a problem?

Hey Shadowlord,

I looked over the DXDIAG. There isn’t anything specifically that shows what is causing the system to crash/reset, but I noticed that you are getting several bluescreen codes: Bug Check 0xEF: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

We are not able to troubleshoot bluescreens, but the underlying cause of those may be the same reason that the system is having issues when trying to play Diablo 3. I’d recommend doing some research on that and maybe talking to Microsoft support or a professional technician for ideas on how to get it cleared up.

It also looks like you have two displays connected to your 980, a Samsung monitor and a TV. I’d try disconnecting the TV and just test the game with the single monitor to see if that helps at all.