Future Season Themes after S24

I’ve been a bit too negative with the Season 24 theme, so I figured I could flip that around and be positive for once in my life.

Season 24 introduces a gameplay challenge that we haven’t seen since the The Darkening of Tristram’ event, a hunt for items.

It’s a nice gameplay element, outside the usual seasonal game loop (althought speed GRs do suffice for S24’s challenge). So I was thinking if this could mean something for new challenges in future seasons.

Season 24 offers us the search of items via rifts and slaying, the usual way, and incentivizes the use of all classes. Something good I think (with the problem of character slots though).

Other similar challenges we could face based on this and the Tristram event could be, for example:

• The hunt of specific monsters: as seen on the Tristram even, a list of specific monsters that sometimes spawn on each level. Could be roaming monsters, alternate bosses, event spawns, etc. Following the D2 them, could be reskins based on D2 mobs (like Rakanishu in Act 2).

• The hunt for items, but they don’t drop: instead of finding the ethereal-equivalent by usual loot, it has to be crafted, with the mats dropping from mobs or events. (Problem is that it would bring back the removed system that was in D3). It’s a different gameplay loop parallel to the usual rifting.

-The hunt for Runes and Runewords: it’s been said, and it’s a very iconic gameplay element from D2. The challenge would be completing a collection of all Runes and Runewords. Perhaps even a Kanai’s Cube - Archive of Tal Rasha equivalent for them.

What I mean to say with all this nonsense is that I like the challenge S24 gives us, and I don’t my negativity to discourage future similar ideas.

4 Likes

A season theme should include some kind of power boost.

True.
How about some bonus unlocked related to the progression throuout the challenge?

A next season will obviously have a D:I theme. A next one D4 theme. Possibly even a next wow expansion theme etc.

I honestly think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the seasonal themes should incorporate activities we already do in the normal gameplay loop.

It would be nice if they’d have PoE style seasons with impactful new gameplay elements every time but realistically it’s not gonna happen. As long as each new season allows for potential new builds I’m mostly satisfied. Cheers.

3 Likes

All of a the themes at once. In fact it all should carry over into non season too…

That’s the POE method

The season of no paragon let’s see how good some of the no lifers really are.

2 Likes

Season 24 in honor of D2R so season 25 in honor of DI ? Both games will be release this year (september and probably november during the blizzconline). So, it’s possible

Season 25 : Attrition

All damage dealt by players is reduced by 25%, and Area Damage is removed. Players start with 2.5 Attack Speed, their Movement Speed is increased by 20%, and Movement Speed is uncapped.

Echo of Ethereals introduced. Rares can now become corrupted into Ethereals with no special abilities and can now drop for any piece of equipment and they have no limit on the number equipped. Legacy of Dreams/Nightmares updated to include Ethereals.

Let er rip!

If they introduced transmogs of Illidan’s swords to D3, I’d be all over that like a rash.

2 Likes

Every character gets a 10 sec cdr.

I’m skeptical until proven gob-smacked.

You are not prepared