Frustration with Goblin Farming -- Rant

The Khazra den only has one floor. The Cave of the Moon Clan has two floors. I’ve tried running that but it’s not as reliable a source of goblins (at least for me) as the waterways are.

2 Likes

It’s not right. The location always contain one unique monster: Super Awesome Sparkle Cake or Evil Oliver and optional(!!!) one additional unique which can be the Lilian. Break the run after meeting cake or oliver can make you miss the wings.

4 Likes

perfect explanation but i join you all in the fustration still no wings for me neither

It’s one of those “when you least expect it” things.

Trying to make a rainbow goblin appear sounds extremely tedious.

4 Likes

It’s definitely a laborious task. I’m averaging about 3 a day right now… that’s 6+ hours of running over world maps over and over and over.

Say 20 Whimsey maps a week… on average it’ll take me another month of grinding to get my wings… but because Blizzard’s RNG has no bottom I could spend 15 weeks doing it and only be 95% likely to get them.

Exactly. I found mine a couple of years ago, in a random pub bounty game. One dude killed the goblin and he was kind enough to let us know. We decided to clear it after all 5 bounty acts. To be honest I never really cared about the wings, just went in there for the loot, cause it was early in the season and the map offers many gem drops from the clouds and many legendary drops. In my D3 carreer this must have been the 100th time or something, so I guess I am considered lucky compared to the average cosmic wings drop rate.

1 Like

I really think the “gifts” that dropped for the holiday event in 2023 should just be made permanent so people can play the game the way they want and eventually they’ll luck out on their cosmetics. The game’s in maintenance mode permanently at this point so there’s no reason to keep the bottlenecks firmly in place. This is coming from someone that farmed these back in 2016 and got them after hundreds of runs for each of the rainbow portrait and cosmic wings.

1 Like

I’ve been playing D3 since it was first released. In all those years, and playing on all 3 Regions, I never found the Cosmic Wings. Not even with the Holiday Gifts. But, in Season 29, (my luckiest Season to date), all that changed.

On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 in Season 29 on the Europe Region I finally killed Princess Lilian.

A month later, on Saturday, November 11, 2023, while continuing my “Journey” on the Asia Region, I killed her again.

I only hope it doesn’t take another 12 years to acquire the Cosmic Wings on the Americas Region; my main Region. (Although, it’s more of a collection thing for me. Personally, I think the Wings are ugly).

3 Likes

I will trade you my cosmic wings NA for a well rolled Primal Yangs. I have gotten/reforged/upgraded a few thousand of them since Primals were introduced and have only had 1 completely unfixable one.

1 Like

I can confirm this is true. On the run where I finally got my Cosmic Wings a few days ago I ran into Evil Oliver fairly early and almost bailed. But decided to finish the rift like I always do just for the gems and near the end >BOOM< Lilian showed up… she died before I realized what happened and the wings, in their legendary glory, were on the floor.

The moral – ALWAYS COMPLETE THE RIFT.

4 Likes

Yes. The Waypoint that leads to Belial.

No. That area is called the Caldeum Bazaar.

Yes. It’s actually called the Sewers of Caldeum.

No. Those sewers are called the Flooded Causeway.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that a Goblin won’t spawn in those areas.

Based on the same documents you’ve referenced, I’ve come up with my current path. I haven’t tested enough yet to know if it will yield successful results. So far, I’ve encountered 1 Goblin in each of those areas and 2 Goblins in the Pandemonium areas. No Rainbow Goblins as of yet. I imagine I will update my path over time.

This is my current path:

Goblin Farming Path

• Act I
    • Cathedral Level 1 → Leoric’s Passage
    • Royal Crypts
    • Southern Highlands → Cave of the Moon Clan Levels 1 & 2
    • Northern Highlands
    • Leoric’s Hunting Grounds

• Act II
    • Ancient Waterway: Western Channel, Levels 1 & 2
    • Ancient Waterway: Eastern Channel, Levels 1 & 2
    • City of Caldeum
    • Stinging Winds

• Act III
    • Arreat Crater Level 1
    • Tower of the Damned Levels 1 & 2
    • Arreat Crater Level 2
    • Tower of the Cursed Levels 1 & 2
    • Core of Arreat
    • The Bridge of Korsikk → Caverns of Frost Levels 1 & 2
    • Rakkis Crossing

• Act IV
    • Silver Spire Level 1
    • Silver Spire Level 2

• Act V
    • Pandemonium Fortress Levels 1 & 2

Sound

Enable Sound to listen for the Goblin laugh when nearby. Turn down all Volume Sliders, except Effects and Master.

Current Sound Settings

(For the purpose of resetting my sound after Goblin hunting)

Master Volume: 40
Effects Volume: 20
Voice Volume: 50
Ambient Volume: 10
Music Volume: 15
2 Likes

I never, in dozens of runs, found a goblin of any kind in the “City of Caldeum” on the way to Belial. Never seeing one after all those tries was part of why I posted the rant.

I found that maps you have to explore to find a location like the Cave of the Moon Clan were also bad choices. At least for me. So unless the “Clear the Cave of the Moon Clan” quest came up I avoided the Southern Highlands. Same with Caverns of Frost and a few others.

It all comes down to how many goblins you can farm in an hour and putting in the crazy number of hours to get the 2% chance of a rainbow goblin for the 1% (or 0.5%?) chance of getting Lilian to show inside.

2 Likes

I always start at the City of Caldeum Waypoint because you never know where the Goblin may spawn. However, most of the Goblins have spawned for me in that last section, just before you reach the entrance to the Imperial Palace (Belial’s lair).

A lot of times I find a Goblin on both the Cave of the Moon Clan Level 1 and the Cave of the Moon Clan Level 2. And even if there’s no Goblin on one of those Levels I’ll get one on the other. I always find 1 Goblin in the Southern Highlands. (More D3 RNG I guess. Or BNM as I call it).

I would think that areas like Fields of Misery, Weeping Hollow, Festering Woods, etc. would be good areas to farm Goblins. But, what works for some just doesn’t seem to work for others.

1 Like

One problem with those areas is the size. There is a lot of ground to cover. The road to Az (Core of Arreat) is linear and short and has a high chance to spawn a goblin. Of course it is all up to personal preference as some choose efficiency and some choose engaging.

2 Likes

Bingo. That’s the problem I had with the Southern Highlands. The Cave of the Moon Clan can appear in 4 different places on the map. While Leoric’s Hunting Ground and the Northern Highlands are small maps with a good chance of a goblin spawn just by looping around their outside doing the same on the Southern Highland map might not show you the Cave nor reveal a goblin… so you end up weaving back and forth across a huge map.

Other maps I avoided had similar problems… like the Arreat maps (other than Arreat Core) which are winding maps full of dead ends. Same with the Silver Spire maps in Act 4. At least the Pandemonium Fortress maps have a chance for 2 goblins so they were worth the time and effort of back tracking. Of course when I did finally get the wings it was from a rainbow that spawned in the first zone on my list… Leoric’s Hunting Ground… less then a minute into the routine I was in Whimsy hunting for Lilian. Ain’t RNG amazing? LOL

2 Likes

What it boils down to is finding your own path. Pick the smallest areas that are easy to navigate and you know Goblins spawn most of the time. Add those areas to your path. Remove any areas you don’t like from your path, even if you know it spawns a Goblin.

Fun facts:

• The Rainbow Goblin I killed and got the Cosmic Wings on Europe Region was in the Fields of Misery.
  • The Rainbow Goblin I killed and got the Cosmic Wings on Asia Region was in the Southern Highlands.

And I wasn’t even farming Goblins. I was doing Bounties and just happened to run into them by accident.

Congratulations!  

1 Like

See, tin foil hat conspiracy confirmed again :wink:.

1 Like

Nope. I was wearing my custom made Blizzard signal-scrambling cap.

4 Likes

Oh, great! Another collectible that I have to grind for!

2 Likes

Except, you won’t find it in the game. Like I said: It’s “custom made”.

And it’s a “Blizzard signal-scrambling cap”. As in: It scrambles all Blizzard signals.

I can make you one…   for a nominal fee. (Dog not included).

2 Likes