It’s a do or die situation
We will be invincible
And with the power of conviction
There is no sacrifice
It’s a do or die situation
We will be invincible

Undo the Lamentation nerf. Do it now.

2 Likes

In childhood and adolescence, I read many books from the collected works on Conan the Barbarian. Apparently impressed by this fantasy hero, choosing a class in games like Diablo was logical. :grinning:

Are we all Conan’s (Barbarians) in search of Thulsa Doom (Blizzard) to figure out why he killed our father (Lamentation)?

4 Likes

Nevalistis just posted. The era ends when patch 2.6.7 begins. Unfortunately, she didn’t say when this will occur.

1 Like

And if anyone gave a flying flip at a rolling donut about eras that would be great.

We’ll likely hear something more tomorrow.

Okay, time for me to be unpopular. All part of the job, though. Hang tight, this is gonna be wordy.

We did, indeed, remove the Lamentation bonus in the release client build for Patch 2.6.7, which was the build that streamers and BlizzCon attendees were shown on the show floor. In an ideal world, I would have had a chance to contextualize this change before the convention. Unfortunately, I did not have that opportunity between my other job duties for the show and titles I support (including Diablo IV and Diablo Immortal, both which had presence at the show).

Normally, when a change like this happens, I find it when I’m updating patch notes for release. This process didn’t occur until last Thursday, after I got back from the show and being home sick from a chest cold I’m still fighting off. My next step is to go to the developers, have some back and forth, and find out insights and intention behind the change. I add that to the patch notes, get it reviewed for accuracy, then come and make a post as soon as I can. That’s where we are right now.

That’s all just background. Here’s what you came to read, and is what you’ll find in the patch notes once 2.6.7 launches:

While we were very happy with how much better Barbarians are performing, we are concerned we may have overshot it. By removing just one silo’d addition, we can observe how the class performance goes for Season 19 and consider re-adding this change in the future. Remember we still have a patch coming up where Barb will be one of the focused classes, so there will be plenty of time to revisit if necessary!

We’re trying to set up Barbarian to be in a better place with more individual knobs to turn so we can tune it better once we get to their new class set and balance pass. We actually want to maintain this process for all classes, too, so if you continue to have feedback on Monk and Crusader, keep it coming! There will always be opportunities to revisit any of these changes.

It’s okay if you don’t like this answer. It’s awesome if you have feedback on it. And it’s the absolute best when you can present that feedback respectfully and constructively. I’ve seen a lot of that, and I’m grateful for it—I only wish I could reply to all of it!

It’s taken a long time to get to this point. We’ve gone through many phases of balance for every class, and there have been ups and downs for everyone. Balance is nearly never a perfect process with a perfect end, and sometimes, no end at all. I’ve said it often before, and I will say it again: we’re not done yet. There’s more Diablo III left to come, and we’re going to continue to read your feedback, play the game, and bring updates to keep you sated in Sanctuary for as long as possible.

RE: Communication being limited - I’ve kind of already touched on this, but I’m being as present as I can be. BlizzCon and Diablo III’s production schedule lined up in an unfortunate way (and getting sick didn’t help matters), but you have my personal commitment to being as communicative as I can be around patches and PTRs specifically. I wish I could have fulfilled this better around 2.6.7—it just wasn’t possible with the other priorities I had to fulfill.

I won’t make excuses, but I will continue to do my best, and I’m grateful for an understanding, passionate community that I saw the best of just a little over a week ago. It was wonderful to see so many of you in person, to finally share my excitement for the future in an honest and open way, and I hope you enjoy the other things we have in store in Diablo III and beyond.

Now, back to work for me. :slight_smile:

55 Likes

Thank you for take the time to post about what happened with the lamentation belt.

5 Likes

“removing just one silo’d addition” and removing 67% of the build’s damage are 2 entirely different realms of scale

47 Likes

Or, hear me out here, you could have LEFT the buff in for a season and see how it pans out instead of teasing a buff then removing it all together. :frowning:

40 Likes

Season 19 won’t tell you a damn thing about class balance. They have to be absolutely clueless to send you into the lions den with that nonsense.

Now I need to decide what, if any, class to play for season 19. I won’t participate in this charade so they can pretend what they are doing has any validity.

18 Likes

They mean the addition that actually made the build competitive?

27 Likes

Hope you are feeling better Nev and thank you for posting.

One suggestion I do have for you to walk up the chain. It should be the part of the Dev’s job to provide you that information as it is known. You shouldn’t have to fight for it, wait for it or have them delay your job over it. They are ultimately answerable to their customers which are us the players and you the consumer of that information as their public spokesperson. The current arrangement is a bad process. No one likes bad news but the process as is causes even more pain and ill will than quickly communicating things.

4 Likes

“We may have overshot it”? Why? Because the best D3 player in the world with perfect items and over 10500 paragon cleared a 140 GR on PTR?

Who cares if now Barbs will be happy to do max 133-135 GR with the same items as the 10500 player…

Who cares that Wizard can easy clear 140 GRs even after the nerfs…

As long as Wizards remains Top DPS in game and Barbs last or almost last the game is balanced right? :roll_eyes:

Let’s just wait one year or more to maybe get some buffs so barbs can maybe clear a 136-138 GR max while everyone else will be doing 142-146…

Barbs place in this game is apparently only as a ZDPS support for METAs…

This thread could probably even get 3000 posts and the OP 1000 likes, valid arguments and it would still get ignored as long as Wizards remains untouched…

I guess D3 RoS will be my last Diablo game after all…

34 Likes

Ok, now I’m mad…

30 Likes

That’s fine. But we believe with change (complete removal of the multiplier) you have now under shot it. How many times does this have to happen before the devs finally learn…if you are going to make major changes, patch the PTR and let players test it. Why can’t this be done? Small changes, no big deal, you don’t have to those types of adjustments retested. But when you make major changes without testing them you get overperforming (Vyrs) and likely under performing WW/rend. This has happened on multiple occasions. And let us not forget Morticks, the blunder of all blunders. I get it, it’s a smaller dev group, but for the love of god can we get major changes patched on the PTR so they can be tested. Is it really too much to ask??

EDIT: Speaking of major untested changes resulting overperforming builds…see new sader set. I mean come on. This is exactly why major changes must be tested on PTR.

25 Likes

Really unfortunate that the Rend build was nerfed so much.

The developers need to stop making balance changes around 10k paragon players and people crying for nerfs on the forum.

28 Likes

I rarely post but this is just pathetic, so another season when barb has to play zdps role. I will ask you guys to stop playing zBarb and lets see if that will have any impact because from the looks of it they will never ever change the status quo.

12 Likes

Point of order what is a “silo’d addition?”

3 Likes

I bet D4 will be the same. Either Barb or Druid will be worst class and one only will be favoured no matter how many nerfs it received.

If after all the countless threads on the forum asking to revert the nerf, giving valid arguments why it’s such a bad idea, we get treated like this, than all hope is lost.

8 Likes

So, Barb is just going to under perform, outside of zDPS, again, for at LEAST 4ish months because it MIGHT have been overpowered. At 10.5k paragon. While two Wizard builds and Thorns Necro were given 8+ months of being completely and utterly broken at high, but vastly more reasonable paragon levels. And one of those Wizard builds is still going to be stronger than basically everything else.

Cool. I look forward to Lamentation’s 200% being given back in 4 years.

Thanks for the feed back, Nev, as much as it sucks. Hope you’re feeling better.

21 Likes