From someone who has 10k hours from Diablo 1-3

I got a refund today.

Maybe it was the complete lack of respect to the Diablo IP, or the complete lack of respect to the fans. Something in between those two made this feel like I was paying for a cheap mobile ripoff that was trying to prey upon my childhood.

All the necromancer summoner skills, gone. To be fair, it was across the board, it all felt like I was playing some dumbed down phone game.

This was such a let down.

The skill tree, loot, dungeons - all felt like I was playing a dumbed down trashy, phone game. It just, gave me everything I wanted.

This was my last call with Blizzard, may they rest in peace. If you do enjoy Diablo IV, good luck with this path. All my friends I have played with feel the same.

I don’t need to hear a mod tell me I am being disrespectful.

We dont need hallow echo chambers anymore, that’s what created this disaster.

After blizzard has made…

Billions…

We get this mobile knock off…

I am done, good luck everyone. This was enough to make me get out of my Diablo fan boy status and not game anymore. So I guess its a new chapter, like growing up.

17 Likes

I didn’t mind the dungeons, I’m not sure why everyone is hating on them lol.

Yes they were long, and yes they don’t have a “Stone of Recall” like D3 has that takes you back to the entrance, but that’s because they put it in the MAP instead. You open the map, click on the dungeon’s entrance icon and THAT teleports you back to the exit. But I discovered that by accident lol, so I guess not everyone did.

The dungeons I didn’t like are the tiny ones that are more like cellars and just have 5-10 monsters and all of the sudden “XXXX-NAME DUNGEON COMPLETED”…and I’m like :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

And then of course, the elephant in the room: the crappy boring copy/paste classes from D2.

If the best they can come up with after 5+ years of D3 development, 11 years of D3 maintenance & several years of Immortal development is: copy/paste all the classes from D2 and put them in a brand new game, then hell yeah: give me my money back.

I am DONE giving Blizzard the benefit of the doubt.

4 Likes

Well as long as they don’t reprise Izual the fallen angel with basically no explanation(?) again, I can’t see D4 matching D3 for “greatest hits”-style tackiness. Maybe my bar is at record lows in that regard but there it is. Mechanics win me in the end.

That’s disappointing but not so surprising. I can’t imagine an open world Diablo with D2 style necro armies barrelling around.

Skill tree looks cool. Looks like there are fewer arbitrary restrictions than in D2, fewer nodes whose only purpose is to bridge a gap.

Dang, even on the hard difficulty up to level 25? I’ll still probably play hardcore though.

Wait what if we ask the hottest nova cosplayer how can we possibly top D3.

No yeah I agree, of course who wouldn’t.

You’re quitting? Say…this wouldn’t happen to be the first time?..Ah never mind.

A Necromancer that can hardly raise a teensy weensy bone doll up, let alone keep it up.

If anything, an open world is the perfect scenarion for a bunch of Necro armies barrelling around. Because otherwise said open world remains a barren wasteland with barely anything to kill.

What? What about the BOOK OF THE DEAD?

Well yeah it’d be great. I was thinking more along the lines of entity limits and what’s technically possible. You’re looking at upwards of 20 minions per character. Incorporate on top of that an MMO world where players freely come and go? That might be asking for trouble, depending on the hard limit for a single zone. 50 players? I know there’ve been games that handle 1000s of entities but the objects didn’t have 10k+ polys, also I’m hard-pressed to think of one with online multiplayer. And I don’t know how many cores D4 can use but AFAIK ai/collision is a notorious bottleneck that relies on the general processor (along with most everything else that isn’t related to rendering). etc. etc. or maybe the game is not well-optimized and there’s really no excuse, or they’re just erring on the safe side, I can’t definitively say one way or another.

You’re paying 70 USD (or much higher for other currencies like CAD) for a monetization platform masquerading with the diablo franchise name. Remember that blizzard essentially abandoned D3 development because they got fixated on dollar signs, so having a diablo monetization platform was now way more important than making affordable fun replayable content.

There is nothing in D4 that justifies the price tag and a 5+ year development cycle, let alone the horrific battle passes and other monetization features that accompany it.

6 Likes

After starting to play the open beta today I’m seriously considering getting a preorder for the Ultimate Edition. I play Diablo since 1997. D4 >>>> D3, even at this stage. D4 is so much better than D3 in SO MANY ways, that It’s mind boggling. It has a lot of flaws currently, but they will be probably removed over time, with proper feedback from people who are at least SOMEWHAT RATIONAL, instead of being just passionate Blizzard haters.

6 Likes

I’d say I think it’s got potential to be better than D3, but I don’t think very highly of D3 so that probably doesn’t mean a whole lot.

As I’ve been saying the shared open world feels pointless and playing it confirmed to me that it is, in fact, pointless. Events are okay but a version of that mechanic was also in Diablo 3 and they didn’t need to show me other players that I never interact with.

Hell at some point it’s not even gonna be very good at showing off cosmetic mtx unless they make them very flashy, because I’m not looking at what their character has equipped. I’m focused on killing things.

It feels like what could have been a good game is gonna get bogged down in pointless features it didn’t need, and what I’m assuming will be stuff for the “live service” aspect of the game like a daily/weekly chorelist for the battle pass.

2 Likes

Same.
I mean, there is not enough diversity in the objectives, but that is a fairly small thing that it would be easy to improve later.
Unlike most of the issues.

Indeed.

3 Likes

I wrote that damn book thousands of years ago. Then Ash stole it…

I feel you. Agreed.

Really lackluster.

Good for you, after the beta I decided not to buy it.
Whoever thought that a dodge mechanic had anything to do with Diablo needs to go…

1 Like

Dodge is a fine idea in principle. It can add A LOT of depth to end-game combat without increasing input complexity much. In theory it looks very good. We will see how it feels in practice.

I’ve yet to play but a bunch of my online friends I play with are liking it a lot. Not a one has really hated it. I think it’s all what you make of it.

1 Like

The dodge mechanic looks rather similar to DH Vault, seems like it could have a place in the proper skill-set instead of being its own thing. But I suppose it works well as something universal that you don’t need to swap or replace. Might be cool if it scaled with dexterity or something.

The only thing I would consider a direct upgrade from D3 in terms of what I want from a Diablo game gameplay wise would be the char creation, but even then I’ve seen it implemented a hell of a lot better in other games.

On that note I’ve seen basically every “new” system in D4 have better implementation in other games. Yeah, the beta quite solidified my stance on D4 not being a game for me.

1 Like

Aye. Being able to design enemies around everyone having a dodge skill is great conceptually.

Also, not being forced into having one of your limited skill slots taken up by a mobility skill just to be able to dodge stuff is always nice, given how vital it is to have that simply offers more freedom with what you do select.

The only real concern for a dodge button is how it’s implemented. Such as any restrictions on use (I.e. A cooldown or resource), how fluid it is to use (I.e. Can it cancel animations, does it animation lock) and how effective it is (I.e. How many iframes does it give)

I guess this is what it comes down to. Honestly, if it wasn’t so damn expensive I’d jump on it. Visuals are all amazing. It plays well and it’s fun even if variety is lacking. Story isn’t technically any better than prior titles, but the presentation is great. Other issues can smoothed over with time.

But they want your newborn and his heirs too as payment, so…

Games like Dragon’s Dogma, Skyrim and Elden Ring have character creation… D4 Has not… what Blizz claim it is, is just a pre-reskinning to prompt future MTXs.

I’m surprised nobody is talking about the enormous maps with so few mobs. It feels like a desert out there. Gets dull very quickly

1 Like