Friends on starter edition

I have a few friends who want to try out D3 starter edition. Upon searching, it says starter edition players cannot play online with standard edition players. However, it also says each bnet account is allowed one starter edition and one standard edition license, with no instructions on how to get a starter edition license if you have standard edition.

How can I get a starter edition license on my account (which has standard edition purchased) so I can play with my friends?

Thanks!

I cannot answer your question about why licensed players are not allowed to play with Friends who only have the Starter Edition. But, this is what you should know:

• When you install the Starter Edition, you have the entire game installed. This includes D3, RoS and the Necromancer Pack. But, everything is locked except Character Level 13 and killing the Skeleton King. (This also locks out Adventure Mode).

• Once you purchase D3, that portion of the game is unlocked for you. But, RoS and the Necromancer Pack is locked.

• Buy a license for RoS and that is unlocked for you, including Adventure Mode (once you’ve met the requirements).

• And then there’s the optional Necromancer Pack.

In short, if you own a license for D3, RoS and the Necromancer Pack, you also effectively own the “Starter Edition”. The Starter Edition does not last long (Skeleton King and Level 13). So, if your friend tries it for free and likes it, why wouldn’t they buy it?

Blizzard has sales often. You can get the Eternal Collection, which includes everything, for as low as $29.99 USD. For an extra $19.99 USD you can upgrade RoS to the Digital Deluxe version for 2 extra Character Slots and some Cosmetic goodies.

1 Like

You can only have one D3 license per Bnet account. Starter OR paid edition. You would need a new Bnet account with a new Starter on it to play with your friend. That is free to do.

HOWEVER - the features of free editions are very very limited. Social aspects especially. It is designed to prevent illegal service and gold seller types from using them to spam and bother regular players.

Read the Article on it carefully Blizzard Support - Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass

Note: Each Blizzard account is limited to one Diablo III Starter Edition or one Diablo III Standard Edition.

Limitations and Restrictions

Players on Starter Edition game licenses have the following restrictions:

Cannot progress past the Skeleton King.
Can only create up to 4 characters.
Level 13 cap.
Matchmaking available only with other Starter Edition players.

Any characters you create while using the Starter Edition will be retained when you upgrade to the full version of Diablo III.

2 Likes

This about sums it up right here.

1 Like

Thank you, it appears that I have become illiterate and cannot tell the difference between “and” and “or”

Thanks!!

I foresee your Boolean Algebra test at the end of the week not going well. :wink:

Anyway, did your friends like it enough to buy the full version to go slay stuff with you?