Fresh 70, want to do Nephalem Rifts in T1, and struggling.. any tips?

Hey all, just started playing Diablo 3 about a week ago and I finally finished the main campaign today. Had lots of fun! :grinning: I’m 70 on my Barb with some paragon levels. I’m mostly decked out in rare quality gear with like one or two legendaries that I picked up during the main campaign.

I was interested in doing Nephalem Rifts so I fired up Adventure Mode, turned on Torment 1 difficulty, and tried out a rift. Trash mobs were easy-peasy, but elites were definitely challenging as I expected, and I must’ve died like six times in that run lol. That single rift experience took me about an hour overall… maybe longer, but I wasn’t watching the time. All I know is that it wasn’t a short run.

So my question is this: Since I can’t clear these Nephalem Rifts fast enough, should I still continue to do it anyway in Torment 1 and hope to gain better loot over time, or is it actually better for me to downgrade the difficulty and gear up that way until I’m more prepared? Also, how fast should a single Nephalem Rift run take on average anyway?

One hour is way too long. You can lower the difficulty in-game as long as you are not in Hardcore.
Lower it a step at a time until you can run the Rift in under 15 minutes. Expert may be good to get started.
Collect some GR keystones, then run up the GR difficulties (there is a drop down menu) starting with the level that you were running Neph Rifts.
As you go, you will collect gear, gems and legendary gems(GRs) that will allow you to play at higher levels.
Generally speaking, you can often get more XP and loot doing six-10 minute Rifts rather than one- 1hour Rift. GRs must be <15min for a gem level.
A good benchmark of whether you are in the right difficulty is: Can you catch and kill a Goblin before it gets away?

1 Like

GR means Greater Rifts, right? So if I’m understanding this, what I need to do is dial down the difficulty from T1 to Expert (I finished the main campaign on Hard), go through the Nephalem Rifts first to collect the GR keystones, and when I have enough do the actual GR’s? And basically aim for <15 minutes.

Yeah I was able to kill the Goblins most of the time, I think only one managed to escape but that was because so much stuff was happening on-screen I actually couldn’t see where it went lol.

Yes. Start on Expert and drop to Hard if it’s taking too long, then start your first Greater Rift at Expert(or hard) I think that’s around GR 4 or 5.
If you’d like a partner to run with or just to chat outside forums, you can add me yessquire#1869.

1 Like
3 Likes

I wanna say it’s a gear issue as well. Make sure you have all level 70 items especially weapon as they should give you the toughness and damage for t1.

Also, almost all players play seasonal character for the cosmetics, free set, fresh start, and group play. So if you don’t have one you can get someone to quickly boost a toon for you and you can pick up where you left off.