Freezes and Lockups

I started playing Diablo III again back in June under v2.6.8; for almost a month I never encountered any issues. However, since v.2.6.9 I have been experiencing occasional (once every couple of days), complete game freezes where I can’t even Cmd-Tab out of the game. The only way I’m able to regain control of my system is to kill the Diablo III process via SSH.

Here are my system specs:

Model Name: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
Model Identifier: iMac19,1
Filesystem: APFS
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 3.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Memory: 64 GB
Chipset Model: Radeon Pro Vega 48

Does the game do this in the same location all the time, or at least in a specific location more often than not?

Hey, Valana! Along with TheTias’ questions, I’m curious if you play in fullscreen mode and if it seems to freeze when in Windowed mode (CMD+M). Does this seem to happen with specific classes or characters as well?

1 Like

Thank you both for the replies. I’ve mostly been playing Greater Rifts in 4-player games since 1.6.9, where the lockups have been occurring. That is different from 1.6.8, where I only played solo following my return to the game.

The lockups have been occurring at random. I’d say they were happening during big fights with lots of visual and sound effects, but that is pretty much what is happening 100% of the time during 4-player Rifts.

I play Gears of Dreadlands Demon Hunter exclusively (was Wizard-only during 1.6.8, both Firebird Meteor and Chantodo Vyr).

I play in Fullscreen (non-windowed), because both windowed modes resulted in input lag for me.

I haven’t experienced the lockups in a few days, but I’ll update if I notice something new. Thank you!

1 Like

Valana,

Thank you for the extra information. We’ll keep an eye out for similar reports. This reply is merely here to ensure that you can update your thread. (The forums will not let you bump your own post with more information if someone hasn’t replied to you.)

Hopefully everything is solid again, but if you have more problems you know where to find us.

1 Like

I have this random crashes too, iMac 5k 2019, Catalina 10.15.6, 48GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580X 8GB, 512GB SSD. One thing i’ve noticed is that in most cases, the screen size “quadruples” and I can only see the upper left part of the screen, almost as if the game was running at four times the size of my screen (maybe has something to do with the retina display resolution and the game doubling size and effects to look nicer).
The only way to come back to the finder is using the force quit command and pressing “enter” key twice, this force quits the game, resets the resolution of the screen and takes you back to the finder.

Quick followup: I believe this was caused by having my sound output to Soundflower for audio loopback. I haven’t had any issues whenever I’ve remembered to switch my output back to the internal speakers after recording gameplay.

It’s a fringe issue to be sure, but I’ll leave it here in case anyone experiences it.

My game froze twice today. Once on completing bounty on act 5, and going to town to get the bonus, it froze… never got the bonus. And one time on game start up just now. It just froze before the actual game appeared in play mode. (2012 MBP 15")