Fourth-Quarter 2021 Financial Results

Except that the Blizzard’s EULA clearly states that D2R can change at Blizzard’s sole discretion. We all had to accept that. Does Microsoft give refunds if they introduce a feature in Microsoft Word that you do not like?

Again I agree that there should be a D2R claasic realm with minimal changes and a more change realm.

I read them out of curiocity and I don’t find them problematic.
I find them to be rather inconsequential.

What I do find problematic is how the damn thing was handled overall.
I seriously wonder as to whether it’s even true, that the old code is underneath, considering the weird attack speed bugs, that were shown throughout the last several months.

I don’t know about that. I don’t feel nostalgia for things…

When it comes to video games, especially ones with single player available, I don’t judge things based on “nostalgia” or whatever, I can literally start the game and judge things more or less objectively by comparing.

D2R could have sold more… if it even sold as much as we estimate based on their vague statement.

Most games nowadays are not more complex than D2, lol…

I can’t. I wasn’t like that when I was a teenager. I was born in 1987.

I used to be into anime before it was cool and popular. Before it was distributed and/or translated in the states or in Eastern Europe where I live. I had to resort to piracy to watch anime.

Just like I was a gamer before it was cool and popular. Video games back then weren’t as popular as they are today.

I do. It’s just, that most new games are not exciting, and are instead boring and lame.

Same thing here.

That’s true. Initially they had a great customer service. GM would talk to me and fix things accordingly. In later years, CS has become exactly what you described.
But then again, I am talking about a time, when WoW had 10mil+ active subscribers, so I imagine, that Blizzard could dedicate more resources for support staff.

Yeah… which is basically what I said… that if the damn title was handled more appropriately, it could have sold waaay more, regardless if it’s a 20 year old game or not.

Not a single one on the dedicated forum, mind you… are you talking about some of the cesspool platforms?

Also, it’s not the duty of a player to follow every little thing a developer says on some external site. If they label it as a remaster, it should be remaster.
Minor quality of life changes like auto gold pick up is one thing.
Balance changes and making up new rune words is a completely different thing… and while the changes do seem fine on paper, I can clearly see why some people would be disappointed.

What is the industry-wide standard definition of a remaster relative to video games? Could you link a source?

On the official D2R page Diablo® II: Resurrected (blizzard.com)

Blizzard used the word “remaster” or a variant of it a grand total of 3 times on the official D2R page.

1. Diablo® II: Resurrected™ is a remastered version of the quintessential action RPG Diablo® II. Pursue the mysterious Dark Wanderer and fight the denizens of hell as you uncover the fate of the Prime Evils Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal, now in up to 4K (2160p) resolution on PC. Diablo II Resurrected features:
  2. Remastered graphics—monsters, heroes, items, spells, all resurrected
  3. Fearsome demons, brave adventurers, and the world of Sanctuary, resurrected. Marvel at the denizens of this world in up to Ultra High Definition 4k (2160p) remastered graphics on PC—or enjoy the original Diablo II, old-school style—at the press of a button with the legacy toggle.

In terms of gameplay, Blizzard explicitly stated that D2$ would be “classic gameplay”. They did not say identical or remad\stered gameplay. The word “remaster” was used three times and each time that sentence including a description of graphics.

I didn’t know D3 had a remaster. Where can I buy?

This doesn’t safeguard you if you are marketing you are selling a horse, but you sell a cow.

If a new version of Word cuts support for older file formats the user should be able to refund.

That is hyperbole in relation to D2R.

There is no realistic way Blizzard thought it would sell 10 million in a week.
Only Square Enix is that delusional.
And yeah, investors are capable of considering 2,5+ million copies good. Well, let me rephrase, non-idiotic investors are capable of that. What matters is ROI. And D2R was likely a reasonably cheap game to make. It might make more money selling 2.5 million copies, than some games do selling 10 million.

Yeah, Heck, even if they didn’t get enjoyment out of it, refunds would be silly.
Refunds is for when games are broken, or outright false advertisement was in play (like; this game is a car racing game, but it turns out it is a CRPG, or the game is advertised as having MP, but at release that is gone).
I dont expect a refund either, when I go out of the cinema after having watched a movie I didn’t like.

Hey, I still want my money back for Office 2007, when the damn ribbon was introduced!
:rage::partying_face:

To be fair, D2R is among the best graphics in A-RPGs currently.
I’d also question the thesis that teenagers want the best graphics. Minecraft, LoL, Fortnite etc. says otherwise. As well as mobile games.

Seems fairly irrelevant whether it is a remaster or not.
A game can change.

This among many things. I think I listed like four things, didn’t I? LoL and Fortnight both go the WoW direction of having stylized art so they don’t have to have photorealistic graphics to still be considered “good”. I was thinking about sports games, FPSs, Action games, ets where graphics are a major selling point of new games. We’ve all seen the Unreal 5 engine and are looking forward to the kinds of immersive experiences that’s going to provide.

1 Like

It’s an exaggeration aiming to make those like the one below understand better why it matters how a product is being marketed.

When we all agree a classic realm is needed then it automatically means that being “a remaster or not” matters.

It matters in the sense that the devs ought to preserve the original experience. It does not matter for whether they can add new stuff. As long as it is optional. Again, plenty of remasters have had big changes.

Sadly, Blizzard ought to do many things, they dont deliver on. Still not cause for a refund though.

They changed a lot of old stuff. That’s enough of a reason to refund a game being marketed as preserving the original experience with improved graphics.

Actually they said they wanted to stay true to the original experience with some common sense QoL changes at first. They also said they would keep in the unbalanced classes and skills, and keep in bugs that were present in 1.14. They went on to say they would be open to making balance changes, bug fixes, and other QoL changes as the community expresses.

Things changing in games has been a thing since the internet. Balance changes that happened 4 months after release is not a reason to get a refund.

1 Like

They said keeping the original experience. not the perception. playing in the beta, it felt just like D2 with better frames, better graphics, and no need to pick up gold. Not sure what anyone one else expected considering they said exactly what they were doing and that info was public knowledge for 7 months before release.