For those who stopped playing D2 for more than a decade and purchased D2R

For those who stopped playing D2 for more than a decade and purchased D2R, what are you hoping that the game provides? Is it simply a graphic overhaul? Less cheating/duping/botting? QoL updates? Other changes to the game system? Better balance? Modern updates?

2 Likes

Iā€™ll answer the question even though I wouldnā€™t consider myself having ā€˜stoppedā€™ playing 10 years agoā€¦

I stopped playing public games about10 years ago, as even trading wasnā€™t fun anymore.
It was too easy to deck out a char with 9x 45 lifers. I still play Bnet and SP, but even on bnet majority of my time is in private games.

Cheating. Cheating is the reason Iā€™m willing to give D2R a chance.
If Blizzard can do a good job of getting rid of dupes/ limiting pickit/botting, I will play a lot on Bnet.

If Blizzard fails miserably at combating cheats, I will play singleplayer self found on Switch/bigscreen, and probably give up on ladder. Either way Iā€™ll be happy with my purchase of D2R, though. For me, the hundred bucks is well worth it.

5 Likes

It hasnā€™t been more than a decade for me, but I used to get the itch to play at least once a year and spend a month or 2 playing non-stop. I finally stopped playing a year or 2 ago after I tried to scratch the itch, but couldnā€™t get into it because of technical limitations (mainly the resolution and mouse movement not playing well on modern screens/resolutions). So the main appeal for me is the game being compatible with modern systems.

The new visuals are a big plus, because for the most part, theyā€™ve managed to capture how I thought the game looked when I was younger.

If they manage to stop cheaters/dupes in someway, that would also be a plus, but iā€™ll be spending pretty much all of my time in private games with friends anyway. Weā€™ll basically have our own little closed off economy between the lot of us.

4 Likes

Honestlyā€¦
Graphics and full screen on my extra wide monitorā€¦and maybe Iā€™ll play on XBox too

3 Likes

fresh start, graphics, any additional QoL changes. Itā€™s also not unusual for me to play games Iā€™ve already played in the past. Thereā€™s a chance I wont get into it like I want to, but Iā€™ll at least get my moneyā€™s worth.

I am hopping for a lot QoL changes. I wont be mad if it is the same but fancier and new flashy things, but to me the more changes the better. I hope the controll layout of binding the button to an ability come for Keyborad and mouse, I would be greatful if we get the option to have it.

1 Like

too easy to deck out x9 45lifers. LUL

I want any QoL changes to be limited, if they are actually QoL and not a stretched definition. I used to play but havenā€™t in a while.

1 Like

I never stopped playing Diablo II. I would take long breaks to play other games. But, for the most point, I would create a character and play that character until death. Normally, I would do this on the old Battle.net server.

What am I hoping for the game to provide?

1. Having Diablo II be on modern battle.net should be a huge improvement over the old one. Hopefully, this will make the online experience play much smoother. When playing the game in classic mode with the old graphics, it will be like playing the game as if you are playing it on Single player offline.
  2. The possible decrease in botting and hacking.
  3. Seeing the environments with the new updated graphics.
3 Likes

Same. I took long breaks from Diablo 2 to play other games but always came back. Each time all my characters would be gone, including all the Lvl 9 duelers that took me years to make. So, each time, I would have to start over completely fresh.

Therefore, I was very glad to hear that the characters would no longer expire in D2R. I am looking forward to the high resolution graphics and improved sound. Everything else is just icing on the cake. The shared stash is nice. The refresh on gambling is nice. I am really hoping that the new Battle.Net will solve the solution to duping and I hope it will provide a legitimate and easy way to set up trades because trading has always been just as important to me as monster killing and finding loot. I am happy that I can finally visually enjoy gearing up my characters.

I still hope they will address some of the concerns about character appearance.

Beyond that, the game looks exactly like what I have been hoping for for the last decade or more. I cannot wait to actually play it.

2 Likes

With all the dupes I donā€™t see whatā€™s that funnyā€¦a few thousand FG is nothing for most people whoā€™ve been playing foreverā€¦ I always was able to buy Enigma if I wanted within a week or two of ladderā€¦usually I chose not to because I liked the ā€œnewā€ feeling of ladder.

Edit - (just for reference, I checked, a 37 Pcomb which is the most expensive is going for 70fg binā€¦saw a few 45ers going for 200 each a while backā€¦duping and bots have made the economy very easy to have a perfect char. )

been over 10 years for me.

what do i expect?

with the game being on a revamped battlenet, i expect a lot less cheating, not say there will not be any at all, but when i left, it was bad, and i see its way worse currently in terms of botting. a fresh start on a new platform with a revised playerbase, will indeed be refreshing.

as long as the bots, duping and other forms of cheating are kept at a much lower rate than they are/were, i can see myself playing for years again. if not, i might bounce as fast as i did from D3.

1 Like

i thought u farmed them withou bots or trading

No, Iā€™ve made a couple high lifers over the years, but itā€™s about every 97 rolls (or 97 gems itā€™s been a while since I did the calculation) for an average of 1 skiller. Doing it legit is way more fun. I quit trading because itā€™s too easy to deck chars out, thatā€™s the point I was trying to make. Bnet and trading became lame. Sorry for confusion.

1 Like

Although I am looking for some changes that give me a new way to play D2, that seems wonā€™t come any more, at least for launch. The dev has confirmed no change again in recent interview.

However, I am fine to play with no change too.

I am looking to play with human community at least for the first new months, enjoy new graphics, play on console. That will occupy 200 hours of my time. Then I will move on to other games like Diablo Immortal or Diablo 4 and came back to D2R once in while.

Better graphics. I stopped playing ages ago but I wasnā€™t as good as most. I never got any sets or had high level runes etc. And playing on BNet is not an option, the morons who would get you stuck in a mob and let you die and steal your stuff was to much for me. So single it is for me or maybe a private game.

Iā€™m mostly looking for the nostalgia and revisiting the game. It appeals to me as I understand all the mechanics of it, know how to build a good character and I know how to make good ā€˜challengeā€™ characters. I donā€™t expect it to compete with modern games in play mechanics or conveniences offered by games that are far more filled out.

I donā€™t expect to play for ages, ideally D4 will be really good and Iā€™ll enjoy that game. If not PoE will be out shorty or maybe Star Citizen may actually be a real game.

The updated graphics and the few QoL changes did it for me. As soon as D4 is out D2R will be put to bed. Just like D2 was when D3 launched. I am not stuck in just one game like it is some type cult with brain dead adherents.

• It appears that Blizzard is trying to offer something for everyone. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Expecting better QOL game that they will not do anything about in the original sadly.
Though I feel new version gonna be bad due to wide screen support killing competitive PvP.

You really put D2 to the bed because of D3? Why? As a arpg, D3 is ā€œokayā€. As a Diablo game, D3 is totally crap.

1 Like