Focus Ring + GoD Set

The buff from Focus is sometimes not applying when I hit a monster. It seems to happen more on monsters that are alive longer (Juggernaut and RG for instance). Sometimes I have to stop strafing and cast my generator 3 or 4 times before it pops back up. Seems similar to the issue they were having with not getting momentum stacks because of attack speed.

I would also like to point out that the wording on it may need to be changed. It says “Whenever you hit with focus generating attack or primary skill…” this would imply that hitting the monster with anything that generates hatred would proc it, which should mean it would proc passively with the GoD set every time your hatred is increased.

I believe you meant: “resource-generating attack or primary skill”, but I get your point.

This may be an oversight on Blizzard’s part, as the Bastions of Will Rings were in the game long before the GoD Set. (I never noticed this before since I just depend on my Primary Skill and main Damage dealer to proc the Rings).

The second part of the Bastions Bonus says: “When you hit with a resource-spending attack”. Obviously, this would be any Skill other than a Primary Skill that spends Hatred.

The confusing part of the description is the use of the word “attack” instead of “Skill”. As you stated, this would imply that any attack that generates resource should proc the first part of the Set Bonus.

I’m currently using BoW with GoD and I’m not having issues with it. But, that may just be my playstyle. The way I play this build is very similar to my UE build. That is to say: I’m constantly alternating between Hungering Arrow and Strafe to proc both of BoW’s Bonuses.

This is her current setup: https://www.d3planner.com/860984065

That’s not exactly accurate. Hatred replenishes naturally and there are item Properties and Passive Skills that increase Hatred Regeneration. I do not believe this is intended to proc the BoW Rings.

Also, keep in mind that procs do not trigger procs. (Or so I’ve read).

I believe you meant: “ resource -generating attack or primary skill”, but I get your point.

yes, thats what i meant… how i edited it 3 times and still missed that… haha…

This may be an oversight on Blizzard’s part, as the Bastions of Will Rings were in the game long before the GoD Set.

Yeah i actually realized it while i was trying to type out the text on the ring so i figured i would mention it. I wasnt implying they were wrong, just that the wording makes it confusing so it may need updated.

The confusing part of the description is the use of the word “attack” instead of “Skill”. As you stated, this would imply that any attack that generates resource should proc the first part of the Set Bonus.

so the reason i mentioned it is because the arrows you are throwing out from the GoD set procs are definitely generating hatred. otherwise you would run out constantly even if you hard cast 1 every second. According to the wording it currently has that would mean that it should activate the Focus part of BoW passively that is all I was saying.

I’m currently using BoW with GoD and I’m not having issues with it. But, that may just be my playstyle. The way I play this build is very similar to my UE build. That is to say: I’m constantly alternating between Hungering Arrow and Strafe to proc both of BoW’s Bonuses.

So what i do, is i hold down strafe (which i have on right click) and shift the whole time i am playing. to hard cast HA all i am doing is pressing left click to use it. I have been trying to get a better handle on exactly why it isn’t activating. Sometimes when I am fighting a RG, I have to stop strafing long enough for taeguk to fall off because I am hardcasting HA for about 3 shots before the buff from focus comes back. The conclusions i am coming to are that it either has something to do with HA not hitting the target before it re-targets (like if im not specifically clicking the boss and im just shooting it in his direction with shift), it is having the wall dud effect from not hitting him first, or it has something to do with the ICD of the GoD set not letting the hard casted shot activate it because there are more going off? im not sure.

If you watch this clip, you can see that while i am refreshing momentum, focus (the red ring icon) falls off completely somehow.

In this clip, when i move out and man carver puts his wall up, you can see it no longer refreshes. thats the wall dud thing i was talking about.

Being that this is the Bug Report Forum and it now sounds like your looking for tips on how to improve your GoD build or tweak your playstyle, you might want to move this thread to the Demon Hunter Forum. (Feedback and game discussions are frowned on in this Bug Report Forum).
Good luck and good hunting!  

what? no im showing that focus doesnt always apply… where did i ask for tips? i was responding to the things you said -_-. even if for some reason it isnt a bug it should still be looked into to change the wording to be less misleading.

Are you actually hitting the mobs?
Shooting hungering arrow in the air will add momentum stack, but will not proc bastions. You need to make sure you’re actually hitting the monster.

Difficult to see on first clip, because there’s no cross-hair.
And on 2nd clip you obviously will not refresh bastion, cuz you’re hitting the wall, not the mobs.

1 Like

My point was: You’ve already reported what you believe to be a game bug. You can do nothing more here. There’s no point in discussing it further.

For more information about this Bug Report Forum and how it works, please read: How to Write a Good Bug Report.

Thank you.

He probably wouldn’t continue if you didn’t suggest he was looking for tips.

Hungering Arrow is obviously bugged this season with both momentum stacks and bastions procs.

So it would be nice to see a proper reaction from the support, rather then suggestions like yours. Especially that Subrias did a good job reporting those with video examples and descriptions.

I am not having any issues processing Momentum Stacks or Bastions of Will.

When I first enter a hostile area I manually fire 5 rounds of Hungering Arrow. This gives me 20 Momentum Stacks. If monsters are nearby, I also activate Vengeance and Companion. Otherwise, I wait until monsters are visible to activate them.

As soon as I encounter monsters I manually fire Hungering Arrow, which procs the first bonus of BoW, as long as I hit at least one of them. I then Strafe, which procs the second bonus of BoW.

Note: The Hungering Arrow that is proc’d by Strafe through GoD DOES NOT proc Momentum Stacks or BoW. Dual generators (Hungering Arrow + Entangling Shot) may complicate this. I believe the controversy here is not knowing if this is intentional. But, based on my playstyle, it seems to work just fine.  

Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen.

For one, Blizzard rarely comments in this Bug Report Forum. And secondly, they never discuss game mechanics.

If it’s bugged, they’ll fix it in a future patch. If not… they won’t.

Uhm, every top dh acknowledges that you lose approx ~10% of momentum stacks to this bug during the rift. Yet, you say all is ok.

Are you blizzard staff anyways, or just a random troll?

No, I didn’t.

I said I’m not having issues with it. I also said, more than once, this may be due to my playstyle.

Waller blocks Hungering Arrows (among other things). The walls Man Carver puts up prevent your Hungering Arrows from hitting, which prevents you from getting a Focus stack.

Focus triggers on hit, Momentum triggers on cast. You still get Momentum, but the waller prevents you from hitting to trigger Focus.

To be fair, there is a bug with momentum stacks not being gained properly. If you don’t tend to activate skills simultaneously when you fire hungering arrows, that might be why you don’t experience it.

I found that if you activate another skill simultaneously at the same time you fire Hungering Arrow, you don’t gain a stack. Don’t know if that explains all the issues or not, but it probably explains at least some of them.

It’s harder to see at the start of the video when I still have Vengeance active, but you can see I have Hungering Arrows go out while I’m activating Smoke Screen or Companion at the same time and fail to gain momentum stacks. It’s easier to see once Vengeance falls off because then you can spot the Hungering Arrows easier.

This is 100% reproducible for me. Any time I activate another skill at the exact same time as Hungering Arrow, I fail to gain a momentum stack despite Hungering Arrow still firing. I’ve noticed it happening with Vengeance, Companion, and Smoke Screen, Fan of Knives, and Shadow Power, although strangely it doesn’t seem to happen with Preparation.

EDIT: This isn’t really related to the original thread topic though. Totally separate issue. You need to hit an enemy to trigger Focus/Restraint, it’s as simple as that. Any Momentum stack bugs are unrelated.

Is it really a bug? May be. But the game has an action cancellation mechanism. When you spawn a second skill while the first skill is still in-action. Either queue the second skill until the first skill complete, or cancel the first skill to execute the second skill immediately.

e.g. RapidFire will be terminated if player spawns a primary skill or vault.
The game has preset some logic to choose which action to take.

The player may need to adapt to the game rather than asking the game to adapt each player.

I’m not expert here, I might be wrong. I am neutral whether it is a bug.

1 Like

That’s true for skills that require an attack animation. They have to queue or cancel. However, none of the skills I mentioned require an attack animation. If you activate them while not doing anything else, they have an animation. But if you activate them while moving or while casting another skill, they go off without an animation and without interrupting the your walk/run/other skill casting. You can channel Rapid Fire or Strafe and trigger any of those skills (Vengeance, Shadow Power, Smoke Screen, Fan of Knives, Companion) without breaking channel. You can run and trigger any of those skills without stopping to cast them. You can fire Hungering Arrow and trigger any of those skills without the skill activation requiring an animation. The Hungering Arrow animation still fully completes and the Hungering Arrow fires. So why do they block the momentum stack? It’s a bug.

I know. That’s why I said:

Some skills are different from others and behave differently. I think you should agree on this. Only which ones are arguable.

Perhaps it is because the primary skill fired but it is cancelled before proc’ing momentum stack. As I said, I’m neutral on this matter.

Back to this topic which is about “Focus Ring + GoD Set”. If the primary skill is cancelled before hitting an enemy, then it won’t proc Focus. That is more likely to happen.

May be try spawning the other skills slightly early than spawning primary skill next time.