Fix the followers, already

I really feel like tye followers are tragically underpowered and unhelpful and should he adjusted/buffed/revamped.

After about Torment 1, the Followers cant do enough damage to matter and are relegated to taking half my damage through Unity rings, a little bit of crowd control through stuns, even less healing (If using the Templar) and helping proc Oculus rings.

Wouldnt it be great if the follower were really useful? If each of their unique powers were actually effective and relevant? Maybe followers could use Legendary Gems and more Legendary items? Perhaps even introduce sets for the followers to wear? During a Season of the Follower, perhaps?

To me, this could really shake up the gameplay. Choosing which follower to use would actually be relevant and its efficacy would actually depend on the quality of the gear it has.

Maybe just allow them to wear more gear. A Blind Faith along with a Sultan of the Blinding Sand and a cord of the Sherma could be really effective crowd control-especially if you were playing as a monk with the right passives.

If that’s too much work and trouble (I know nothing of coding or game development), just a buff ro the followers’ abilities could he extremely helpful. For instance, if the Enchantress could increase Attack Speed by 15% instead of 3%, that could take the place of an active skill like Laws of Valor. Or a passive skill slot could now open up if my Templar could increase my resource regeneration as much as Exalted Soul. Instead, though, we are given followers with skills that are basically useless and whose presence is basically as a ring carrier (Oculus and Unity).

I would absolutely love to see a Season of the Follower in which some of these flaws are addressed and then made a regular part of the game.

Anyone else think this way?

1 Like

Followers damage is useful for when you are Level 1 to 30 odd after that Followers are all about heal/crowd control/damage buffs.

The games power creep has meant we as the player has increased but followers haven’t.

For sure adding like one Legendary Gem slot to a Follower would be cool or add more gear that has more crowd control effect as you say.

The recent blog post that came out saying they are still actively developing D3 it is not imposible that they may revamp followers in some way.

3 Likes

yea…they are in need of some expanding in terms of buffs and maybe extra abilities. For now you’re restricted to using the best rings & amulet and loading what weapons with gems.

I don’t think they can…but be awesome is adding at least another Armor Slot especially a chest pc…that pc alone would be a huge boost.

…or maybe having a “Chest” for the Follower as well…could put items in it for the Followers while helping your stash…

Make them as powerful as D2 mercs lol. People want to lessen the gap between solo and 4 man GRs a little bit, this will do it

1 Like

Exactly. D2 mercs were godly + they stack MF with yours if they get the kill.

As a bare minimum the Templar’s healing should be a percent of your maximum health rather than a flat amount that ends up being a tiny fraction of your health at higher levels.

As they are now, IMO the most useful follower at higher levels is a Charming Enchantress. I have mine decked out with the Charm skill, Tormentor staff, Overwhelming Desire amulet, and maximum attack speed to proc the on-hit charm effect as often as possible. She can charm anything except bosses and rift guardians, and in large mobs she can have several enemies charmed at once. That’s actually great crowd control, because charmed enemies seem to be a preferred target of other enemies so they stop attacking you and attack it instead!

1 Like