First Time Wizard S21 - Crazy?

Hi guys,

Wizard is the only class I haven’t mained, and decided I want to for S21. I’ve been looking at a lot of videos and facing a lot of ridicule lol. Regardless, my rough plan is as follows:

1. Do Challenge Rift
  2. Gamble 1H wand and upgrade (hopefully something useful)
  3. Gamble shards at 33 for Etched Sigil (vs Leorics Crown at level 1)
  4. Get Haedrigs Firebirds.
  5. Use FB to get Vyr / Chantodo farming set
  6. Build into LOD Hydra

Would this be the most efficient route to get me to LOD? LOD is my ultimate goal for the season, as I like the way the build seems to play.

Appreciate any feedback from you more experienced Wizard players. I am an experienced D3 player, just I have never played Wizard before.

I’m excited for S21 despite the bleak outlook for wizards in general.

Keen to get a nicely kitted out LOD :slight_smile:

Thanks guys

P.S. I’ve read / watched all Raxx’s / Rhykker’s etc 1-70 guides so have a list of what other general things to do and when.

I wouldn’t recommend doing this.

You aren’t all that likely to get a useful weapon, then you immediately need to cube it to benefit from it. This is good on classes that have a guaranteed multiplier, but not so good on wizard. Because there’s a good chance you’ll strike out.

Also, you can’t gamble to get a wand for upgrading. You’ll only get a low level wand. You have to craft a level 70 wand at the blacksmith. You can only upgrade level 70 items.

And if you cube a wand, you don’t have room in your cube or enough DBs left after upgrading your artisans to put Etched Sigil in there too. You only get 35 DBs, need 2 for artisan levelling. If you upgrade a weapon (25 DBs) you only have enough DBs left to cube a single item. if you save your item upgrade to 70, you can cube an Etched Sigil plus still have DBs left to cube anything else you might find (e.g. Leoric’s Crown).

The other thing is if you upgrade a wand right at the start, you need the cube. But without teleport, it’s a slow run. I like to wait until I unlock teleport (level 22), then run the cube. That gets you the cube a little before 33, when you’d be gambling for Etched Sigil.

What I’d actually recommend doing is just save your wand upgrade until level 70. Put Etched Sigil in your cube at 33 (assuming you get it, it’s a 62% chance on 475 shards). Then when you hit 70, upgrade your wand, and just wear it regardless of what it is. That gives you a legendary weapon to use right at level 70, and you don’t have to choose between your wand power and Etched Sigil in the cube.

The ‘upgrade a weapon right at level 1’ strategy works well for some other classes, but I don’t find it helps all that much on wizard. Better to go for Etched Sigil and cube it.

If you strike out on Etched Sigil at level 33, at that point you could consider going for a wand upgrade as a last ditch attempt to get a multiplier for levelling. That’s a valid strategy. But I wouldn’t do it at level 1. Or, if you do upgrade a wand at level 1 and get a multplier, don’t bother going for an Etched Sigil, and instead save your shards for 70. You don’t want to both upgrade a wand AND get an Etched Sigil, because you can’t use them both in the cube. Do one or the other. Personally, I always just go for Etched Sigil now and save my wand upgrade for level 70.

Also, how are you planning to level? If you’re killstreak levelling you won’t find many legendaries on the way to 70 (like maybe 2), but if you’re rift levelling, there’s a halfway decent chance you’ll find an Unstable Scepter before level 30. It starts dropping at level 11, and there aren’t that many items in the item pool until you get into the 30s, so there’s a decent chance you’ll find an Unstable Scepter along the way. Another argument for not needing to upgrade a wand right at level 1, at least if you’re rift levelling.

I probably wouldn’t transition into Vyr’s if your end goal is LoD Hydra, unless you intend to use Vyr’s for farming the majority of the season. If you intend to have Vyr’s as your main farming build, then definitely go for it. But it takes a lot of specific items (Swami, Fazula’s, Messerschmidt’s/Obsidian Ring, Chantodo’s), so if you’re just using it as a stepping stone, I’d probably go for Typhon’s Hydra because it’s a better stepping stone into LoD Hydra. You need the same supporting items for both.

Oh, and since you’ve never levelled a wizard at season start before, here’s some build tips:

It’s slow until level 21/22, when you unlock Teleport/Disintegrate. It speeds up a lot after that. You should run Disintegrate from level 21 all the way to level 70 (unless you get an Unstable Scepter drop). It drops off after level 70, but it’s a GREAT skill for levelling.

You get Illusionist passive at level 27 and Wormhole at level 31. You’ll want to slot those as soon as you get them and run them all the way to 70.

You unlock Force Armor at level 54, and that can be really good if you’re running on higher difficulties with your reduced level weapon because it prevents you from being one-shot. If you’re struggling to stay alive (e.g. your reduced level weapon doesn’t have vit), you can typically survive 1-2 difficulties higher with Force Armor than you otherwise could.

You’ll probably want to take a couple skills to help with AP regen as you get them to support your Disintegrating, e.g. Astral presence passive, Magic Weapon: Conduit. Maybe Arcanot too.

Your basic build will be Disintegrate, Teleport, Magic Weapon, and an armor (I generally just run Energy Armor once it’s unlocked and transition to Force Armor rune at 54). Then you have two open skill slots. I like having a generator in there for when you’re running low on arcane power, especially before you have Arcanot unlocked; once you unlock Arcanot you can switch your generator to Arcanot if it seems like that will be enough to sustain your Arcane Power needs.

The other skill slot can kind of be whatever. If you get Etched Sigil, you’ll want it as something for Etched Sigil to proc. For the sixth skill, if you’re killstreaking with Etched Sigil, I like Blizzard here. Hits a big area, and helps keep your killstreak active. It’ll kill the lower HP stuff, then you use Disintegrate (+ damage bonus from Etched Sigil which kicks in after 1 sec of continuous channeling) to kill the bigger stuff. If you get an Etched Sigil and you’re rift levelling, you might consider something like Meteor Shower for the sixth skill. It’s not as effective for killstreaking, but it has much better damage than Blizzard. If you don’t get Etched Sigil, hydra is a decent option as the sixth skill (both for killstreaking and rifting).

1 Like

I wouldn’t even bother as you can level up with necro or dh in like 2 hours. Once you have your sets just farm shards as firebird is a waste of time.

Or group with dh or necro if you can

I’ll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWR7xwkQ94U

Granted, you can level a necro faster than that. It’s like 45-60 minutes now with the buffs to Corpse Explosion. But if 2 hours is your mark to beat, you can easily be under that on wizard.

Wow, thanks for all your awesome info :slight_smile:

I’m going to read it a few more times to digest it all lol.

I meant upgrade yellows for 1 hand wand earlier by the way, not gamble for them. Slight typo - my bad.

So you dont recommend gambling for Leorics at level 1 by the sounds of it?

How do the vyr / chantodo vs Hydra set compare for farming efficiency? For both T16s and GR farming?

Diablo 3 Group Leveling 1 to 70 in 48 Minutes - YouTube group dh necros 48 min

I’d choose Typhon into Lod hydra as Archon needs cd gear.

Ok great thanks. I think that’s what I’m going to do. I know other classes are faster to level, but let’s face it, how many people are going to be playing 10 hours / day so that EVERY single minute makes a difference? Not many anyway :slight_smile:

Typhon’s is actually quite solid for T16 farming. I’d say it’s comparable for T16 rifts, and it’s actually faster for bounties.

It’s a bit behind in GR farming, Vyr’s can run a bit higher a bit faster than Typhon’s. Typhon’s isn’t that bad though, it’s still usable for lower and mid tier GR speedfarming.

If you’re going to run rifts, no, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll have one drop.

If you’re killstreak levelling, you could go for Leoric’s Crown I guess. I still prefer the Etched Sigil route though. Remember, you can still wear a ruby in a socketed helm even without Leoric’s. You just don’t get the doubling effect.

Also, I find when killstreak levelling, you don’t tend to find many rubies. I’ve had runs where I didn’t find my first ruby until I was in the level 40-50 range. More commonly I’ll find one around level 30-40. When you’re killstreak levelling, there’s a halfway decent chance it won’t do you any good for quite some time anyway.

Now that you mention it, that has been my experience too. I remember getting a Leorics and not having a ruby to put in it!