Finite Power, Infinite Progression Levels With No Power, Infinite Difficulty Levels

In response to David Kim’s post about endgame progression levels, the correct combination is this:

Finite Power

• This prevents grinding paragon main stats from overpowering everything else.

Infinite Progression Levels With No Power

• I believe paragon level rewarding main stat is literally the number one worst mistake of D3. No other game system is as terrible as explained in the first point.
  • Regarding David Kim’s comment that infinite power can be tuned such that even over a large play time, it is small compared to other systems with finite power or even bounded, my response is this, even the idea of directly rewarding power for grinding is odious, unnecessary, and not even fun to receive, especially when it is so small. It should NOT be done.
  • It is good for progression to reward people for play time, so there should be infinite progression levels, but it must reward no power to prevent grinding from overpowering everything else.
  • It can reward cosmetics.
  • Another acceptable reward would be magic find. Even infinite MF doesn’t mean infinite power, because power is bounded by the best items, which MF doesn’t change. But nonetheless, if MF is rewarded by the infinite paragon system, it should be bounded, for example, asymptotically approaching 100% as paragon level increases.

Infinite Difficulty Levels

• Finite difficulty means the game is either so casual that everyone can beat it (like D2), or so hardcore that only 1% of people can beat it (like D3 Inferno), and after they do that, it’s finished, there’s no more endgame.
  • Thus, finite difficulty means endgame either is too easy or too hard, and that endgame has a end, hence it’s not real endgame.
  • The only possible way finite difficulty can be consistent with PvE endgame is the WoW raiding model of releasing new and more difficult raids every 6 months. That’s not happening in D4.
  • Infinite difficulty levels but with finite power is how you create a PvE endgame that is accessible to all.
  • Infinite difficulty levels also allows any build to be viable since there will be a level at which it is viable.
  • Infinite difficulty levels but with finite power means that pushing PvE endgame content is based on player skill, not paragon grinding and play time.

In conclusion, D4 should have infinite difficulty levels but with finite power and infinite progression levels that do not reward power.

2 Likes

I feel that the game should have infinity power but not infinite difficulty level.

Just imagine if D3 GR is capped at LV50, and no one is going to cry that they can’t beat GR50 or feel that they got outclassed by hardcore and dedicated players. Gaining power will not affect them because everyone is clearing GR50.

If you are worried about infinite power in PVP, the PVP can always cap it or disable it during PVP.

But of course, I don’t mind infinite difficulty level too if there is no infinite progression.

In D3 case, it is kinda extreme because it has infinite power progression and almost unreachable difficulty level for many, although nowadays, almost every hardcore and dedicated players and their mother can smash GR150 very fast despite not having 3000+ paragon level.

Cosmetics and Magic Find is basically saying that the infinite progression should have no rewards.

It literally says the infinite progression system should have no power rewards.

Finite power.

My suggestion that I have been evolving for a while, finite max level with ranks afterwards.

• Attainable max lvl (70/80 whatever)
  • Ranks that can be accepted after enough XP is earned
  • Ranks increase the game difficulty and give you a bonus to magic find
  • On death you go down a rank
  • Ranks require progressively more XP to level but don’t have a direct limit
  • Cosmetic rewards for ranks in seasons

Some controls would be needed, but I think it would be a cool combination of endgame progression and difficulty without the infinite power issue, the fluctuation of ranks in death also tries to reduce the “mindless” grind due to the risks of going down ranks.

1 Like

Yeah, and I’m saying that Magic Find and cosmetics is the same as not having a reward at all.

The Infinite Progression should reward power, that’s what makes the grind rewarding.

1 Like

I prefer getting stronger by slowly getting better items than the current paragon system.

Also with infinite power in the grind you can just keep pushing until you pass a difficulty instead of actually getting better at the game.

1 Like

Nope, that is repeating the biggest mistake of D3 where grinding paragon for main stats overpowers everything else, including all items.

1 Like

If that were true you’d be soloing GR150 naked.

…but is an utter balancing nightmare unless you want a forced meta.

Finite power, finite difficulty. There’s a reason this is the standard for ARPGs. It works.

Sounds kinda like Sacred survival bonus. I like it a lot.

Other than that. There should not be infinite power. Infinite lvls are fine. Infinite difficulty is not (t limits build viability).
Rewards for progression can be cosmetics, MF, and chests with random loot/mats.

Disagreed. If you can add a key to each dungeons, or 15, 30 keys at the same time, you have an unlimited difficulty.

Yes, that’s the winning formula.

1 Like