[Feature Request] Exploration mode - a new gameplay mode

As a seasoned D3 player, I was thrilled when you guys added new gameplay modes because I was sick and tired of the Campaign mode. Adventure mode was simply a godsend. Ever since you added it, I haven’t touched the Campaign mode.

However, now, after playing it for a while, the gameplay has gotten repetitive. While pondering about what exactly was bothering me about it, I realized a thing has been bothering me about D3 gameplay from the start - it is all about rushing through levels and doesn’t sufficiently reward exploration.

In D3, in both Campaign and Adventure mode, we are always concentrating on the task at hand and completing it as quickly as possible. In the Campaign mode, this task was to complete the storyline quests, and in Adventure mode we are either playing bounties or rifts. The former makes us run around trying to get the Horadric Cache asap. Where the latter is making us focus on killing as many elites as possible in as short of a time as possible.

Do you see where I’m going with this? Whenever I am playing D3 the players, including me, are always rushing to complete stuff without ever bothering to truly enjoy everything D3 has to offer. No one bothers to explore every corner of the map, click on every clickable object, or visit all the sub-areas that one can access within a certain area. I’ve been playing D3 since it first came out, and to this very day I’ve never been to all the sub-areas you can go nor did I ever participate in all of the little interesting events one can participate in.

Why? Because I know that it is more efficient to just do bounties or rifts as quickly as possible. So what if there is a resplendent chest or a goblin waiting somewhere that I skipped on exploring? There might be one, or there very well might not be one. And even if there is one, the thing you get out of it will rarely compare to the reward you get for completing the bounties and greater rifts.

So, as a lover of D3, I would like to ask of you guys to add a game mode where players like me can just chill, not rush, but slowly explore the world of D3, while being sufficiently rewarded for doing so.

Let’s call this game mode “Exploration mode”. (It doesn’t have to be a separate gameplay mode like Campaign or Adventure, you guys can just add it as another thing you can do in Adventure mode.)

You could offer many different things that the player can do in every area and award some kind of exploration currency for completing those tasks that can then be used/exchanged for something worthwhile and similar in value to a Horadric Cache or completing a Greater Rift.

Some of the things you can reward players for:

• Fully exploring the current map

• Killing 50% / 80% / all enemies on the current map

• Completing some / all of the events on the map

• Visiting some / all of the sub-areas in the current map

• Finding 50% / 80% / all of the hidden stashes of loot on the map

• Killing all (or specific) elites on the current map

• Find cleverly hidden stuff that has been specifically hidden for this mode

• You can even introduce specific events for this gameplay mode, such as some simple puzzles that give great rewards if the player solves them. Such as running into some statues and if the player figures out that they need to be rotated to face each other, he gets a good reward.

This new game mode would encourage a totally different kind of gameplay. It would encourage people to slowly kill the enemies, explore the map, look for the hidden stashes of loot and visit all the little sub-areas one can visit. It will allow the players to finally play D3 at a relaxed pace, without rushing through levels and missing most of the available content.

It will give D3 players an alternative style of play, a chance to rewind and relax, to just enjoy themselves without worrying about time efficiency. It will also bring a breath of fresh air into the current repetitive gameplay and make it harder for players to lose interest in playing D3.

8 Likes

So you’ve been playing D3 for a day and you think you got what it takes to come up with a new mode? I suggest you read through your idea - more than once, before posting it next time.

Your idea is another version of bounties, just more mind-numbing than the existing iteration. Killing enemies slowly makes everything even more tedious because most people have already run through the exact same content 1000s upon 1000s of times. So having to run through the exact same content over and over, except this time more slowly is the equivalent of a slow creeping death.

The ONLY thing that would make this mode even remotely interesting is if they designed brand new zones or brought back fan favorites from the first 2 games. Both new or D1/D2 zones complete with their own unique enemy placements, for example:

• D1 Hell with the proper Black Knights
  • Chaos Sanctuary with Living Flames/Undead Mages
  • LoD Frigid Highlands with Crush Beasts/Imps on their back
  • Halls of the Dead with Mummies

etc

@DJAetius I’ve been playing D3 since it was released and this is one of the better ideas I’ve seen on here in a while.

D3 as it is has become stale and repetitious; we need more game modes if you ask me and this one has potential if done correctly. It could use randomly generated layouts for areas of the game just like D1 and D2 did.

3 Likes

This does sound like it could be a fun way to play. I’m more of an explorer than a speeder, and many of that challenges in the game are focused on doing things fast.

5 Likes

No matter what mode would be added to the game it will eventually get repetitious as you’ll end up doing the same tasks over and over again just like bounties or rifts.

Even if they added zones from D1 and D2 with monsters and bosses from this games it would be just like bounties or rifts - repetitious…

You would have fun for like a month maybe, but after running through the content and fully exploring all zones, you’d get borred just like now with bounties and rifts…

2 Likes

I agree that a new gameplay mode would be great. However, I have no idea what it could be like, and what you’ve described does for most part sound like the bounties that we already have:

• Kill all enemies in an area
  • Visit and click all specific points within a map
  • Kill a specific elite

All of these are already part of the Bounties.

Not to mention that, no matter what you introduce, if there is a reward at the end, you will still be rewarded for zooming through as fast as you can - the logic is the same as for bounties, rifts, GRs, Keywardens,… Do it fast, so you can do it again…

1 Like

Dont put the reward at the end.
Make the reward bigger the 2nd time you’ve earned it.

The OP’s idea sounds like an enhancement to Campaign Mode 2.0.

One of the discussions might have mentioned “encouraging exploration”.

All have mentioned other improvements.

There’s no need to be overly negative. If you don’t agree with suggestion, that’s fine. Why be snotty about it?

I would welcome a new game mode. I agree that things have gotten stale. I loved when they added new zones with new storylines. The realist in me doesn’t see Blizzard adding much to this game, especially if D4 is going to be released sometime in the future. They could release a D3 update that leads to D4, similar to the buildup for new expansions in WoW. I was always disappointed that the game never explored the good or bad nephalim idea that was teased at the end of RoS.

3 Likes

The purposes are different. Bounties give you one specific quest that you have to complete in the current area, and you ignore everything else to quickly accomplish that quest.

When you have to visit and click several specific points within a map you run around until you find those points and click them, you don’t explore or go to other sub-areas needlessly. The same thing happens when you have to kill a specific elite, you run around until you find and kill it, then you move on to the next bounty in a new area, leaving your current area mostly unexplored.

As for the kill all enemies in an area bounty, this one is actually pretty close to the purpose of Exploration mode. However, when you get this bounty it is always centered on killing all enemies in a small sub-area, which is less populated with enemies than normal areas so you wouldn’t have to kill a lot of enemies. Such sub-areas that are generated for the purpose of this quest are small and don’t have much other content within them.

Unlike bounties, Exploration mode would instead give you rewards for, as the name suggests, exploration. You can think of it as not being given a concrete task to do but instead, be rewarded for discovering things and exploring the map.

Not to mention that, no matter what you introduce, if there is a reward at the end, you will still be rewarded for zooming through as fast as you can - the logic is the same as for bounties, rifts, GRs, Keywardens,… Do it fast, so you can do it again…

My whole point is to introduce a mode or mechanic in D3 that won’t concentrate on how fast you do it but how thorough you are. For example, if you try to zoom through the area, you are likely to miss some hidden items, or not kill some enemies, etc, and then your speed would be counterproductive because you would have to pass through the area all over again searching for the things you’ve missed.

2 Likes

I thought he was kidding. Then I saw this:

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Remiel-2261/career

and lol’d.

Have you even read my post? XD
I literally mentioned in the first sentence that I am a seasoned D3 player, and further down I mention that I have been playing D3 since it came out. But now that I think about it, that’s not quite true. I’ve been playing D3 from before it came out, since I had participated in the beta… :joy:

Did you perhaps assume I’m a newbie because this is my first forum post? That’s true, though I’ve been playing Blizzard games since D2 came out, I’ve never participated in forum discussions. I specifically came down to the forums this time to suggest this idea that I’d personally like to see implemented.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you don’t like the idea, that’s fine, no need to be rude about it.

Though I do agree with you when you mention adding more zones. Adding new zones is always more than welcome.

But then again, I feel that even the current zones aren’t utilized to their fullest potential, because through the rush of completing bounties one never has the time to just stop and appreciate the new content.

@BagboyBrown
It seems I haven’t touched my older heroes for too long of a time so Blizzard didn’t display them in my profile. :slight_smile:
I just logged on to my older heroes, the profile should update in a day or so it has updated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, so now you’re willing to look at EU profiles?
Eight hours ago your opinion was…

Glad to see how consistent you’re being.

2 Likes

I’m no longer at work. I’ll be glad when you find a new hobby.

The game already has this mechanic with various exploration/lore achievements. As tedious as it sounds, the rewards are all cosmetic based and therefore completely optional, as it should be.

I don’t think it follows that a tedious exploration of a zone would diminish speeds. Searching twice as fast for something hard to find is still going to be more effective. Even if you miss something here and there, increased speed makes it easier to back track.

I also don’t see how you can be so enthralled with the lore and ambience and locales of the game but you also need a reward to pursue exploring them. It doesn’t make sense that you need a non-competitive, optional, subjective activity to be somehow competitive(but decidedly not quite as you are also trying to avoid forcing players into this mode)

tl;dr Game mode already exists in a less problematic form.

IMO :wink:

1 Like