Favorite, lesser known RPGs

Hi everyone,

Just starting this to share some of my favorite lesser known RPGs and to see if anyone has any to share that I am not aware of already. Unlikely since I have researched this topic a lot, but figured what the heck, why not?

1. Baten kaitos (and the prequel, Baten Kaitos Origins):

Amazing game(s) with some really unique graphics, artwork, and combat. I know this one probably was looked over by most due to the card mechanics, and maybe partially due to the fact that the name is Japanese and doesn’t exactly market easily to other territories. It is unfortunate it didn’t get more recognition by a wider audience. Is it a bit cliché and cheesy at times? Sure, all JRPGs are, more or less. It has such beautiful art, music, and I find the card system to be a very customizable and fun mechanic that combines the collection and customization factor of a card based game, with the turn based mechanics of something more familiar like final fantasy. Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

1. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow:

Not as much of an RPG, but has some elements for sure. And if we can call Dark Souls games RPGs, then I think this is pretty close. I know you don’t make your own character, but I always though the gameplay in Dark Souls was more in line with what I would imagine a 2D Castlevania to be if it were made 3D. Perhaps this one is not so niche like the first one, but it doesn’t get talked about much now, and that may be because it was on handheld, but it is probably my second favorite game in the Metroidvania subgenre.

1. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door:

I know, not as niche as either of the above games, but still doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. On top of that, Nintendo keeps making games in the series that feel like a totaly different series and have very little of the RPG/exploration elements that people miss. While I personally enjoyed 1’s story/world more, TTYD is better in most objective ways and is one of the greatest RPGs ever.

Well, I guess my list was not as lesser known as I would have imagined, but there it is. I think there are several RPGs that get disregarded or even treated as inferior to their successors, when actually they are better in many ways. Mass Effect 1 being a good example, as is Kingdom Hearts 1, and while not as good as The Witcher 3, The Witcher 1 was very fun and addictive, largely due to the story and presentation.

What games would you suggest?