Etched Sigil, wtf?

dear idiots (aka devs):
want a new power? MAKE A NEW ITEM.

stop ‘fixing’ things that arent broken…

10 Likes

Agree. This season could be best season ever, cause of 4th slot, but cause u changed etched sigil, there isnt any off-hand what i like to use at all.
Last season was best 4 wizard and this is worst, cause i really want to play it, but cant without off-hand. Change it back plz and do it before season start. Thx

1 Like

Bring back bazooka and witch doctor mask of jeram spirit barrage and let them Duke out who is better

Do you find this technique of opening a discussion with an insult helps you get what you want more often?

12 Likes

Don’t let your frustration take hold of you.

You loose more than you gain. Your suggestion is straightforward and solid.

The devs made an effort I do not doubt. But in some cases like this it is unbelievable the way it got changed (ruined)!

1 Like

Not likely, but it’s understandable as it’s not the first time (and alas, not the last time either most likely) that the Devs way of ‘fixing’ things is questionable at best, downright stupid at it’s worst.

At this moment in time, without any compensation for the builds they broke with their Etched Sigil change it’s the latter.

8 Likes

It really drives me crazy as a devout d3 player that my two favorite builds were nerfed so much (bazooka wiz and mundunugu)

Just imagine the race between these two builds to top the 4man and 3man leaderboards…
Itd be beautiful! Both builds were equally as powerful and it would have been so interesting to see.

1 Like

I agree that they should change Etched Sigil back immediately. Unfortunately, they probably won’t unless public outcry reaches a level they can’t ignore. There’s a right way and a wrong way to get there. Insulting them will not have the intended effect. It’s pretty similar to offending the person who’s making your food: They have all the power to ruin your day, and you’ve just made them angry.

I’m still struggling for an explanation on why they felt removing the original power was necessary/warranted/even not completely insane. I don’t think I’m going to get one.

6 Likes

My hopes is that they either add it to legendaries specific to each skill or they will add another item with that effect.

There wasn’t anything wrong with the item, by my estimation. They could have just written it to have the original damage buff with other arcane spenders, but that buff doubles if using Energy Twister. We’d still have our variety, and twister would still get the buff they wanted to give it. We already know they can make conditional damage increases, because they’ve done it with LoD.

There is a key difference between this change and the other changes I’ve been upset about: Capping Bone Ringer at 60 stacks reduces its effectiveness. Reducing the benefit of Attack Speed for Archon reduces its effectiveness. Capping Shield of Fury reduces its effectiveness. This change did not reduce the effectiveness of other builds…it removed those builds. Deleted them.

I can not ever agree with something like that. From the look of things around here, I’m not the only one.

5 Likes

We all pretty much agree. It really sucks and they went about it the wrong way. If they wanted us to have an option other than channeling then they should have added weapons and offhands that buffed different skills so we can choose those if we didn’t want to channel.

Take what they did for frozen orb and apply it to blizzard, Hydra, meteor, Electrocute, and whatever else people want to use. Make a skill specific +damage/+mechanic 1h weapon, offhand and 2h weapon to cube.

4 Likes

Somebody should explain to them that “option other than channeling” != “only one option for channeling”.

3 Likes

Tbh, I’ve been thinking that may very well be their intentions. To give us legendaries that’ll grant a few of our arcane spenders an auto-cast effect. I mean thus far we have Energy Twister (via etched sigil…) and Frozen Orb (via Wizardspike). If it wasn’t for how hydra operated, I’m sure we would’ve gotten one for it as well; instead we got winterflurry + Blizzard combo for hydra.

As such, if we’re to assume that is indeed the case, then I would expect the next arcane spenders to receive this auto-cast treatment to be either meteor and/or explosive blast as those two are among the most popular arcane spenders for the class. That said, even if that were the case, I would still find it distasteful, because that would be a waste of precious legendary items that we could have different and more interesting effects for instead of trying to shoehorn auto-cast effects of our individual arcane spenders in. I’ve said it before (and plenty of others have as well), etched sigil needed only to change it’s global damage multiplier into something that only affected the channeling skills (death wish as well); while still keeping it’s global autocast.

@OP, trust me, plenty of us wizards have told Blizzard that this change was dreadfully bad even before the ptr itself launched, and again during the actual ptr testing itself. But despite all of our feedback, suggestions of alterations, and inquiries; we’ve received no response from Blizzard regarding any of our balancing changes. All we can do is hope that the next patch that has wizard changes doesn’t actually break and/or ruin our existing builds, and instead actually get us some changes that’ll help the class without also punishing wizards.

3 Likes

I would have given a heart had it not been for this.

Trust me, I disdain what they did as much as you, but I still hope they will reconsider or at least compensate us.

This, however, is well said.

Lucky for me that legacy Etched Sigils persist and I can enjoy them in non seasonal play. As for the season, I cannot change the situation at hand. But I will boykott this mess and main a different class than wizard - for a second time in all these years. This is how much I hate the total destruction of my favorite playstyle.

If the number of wizard players in season drop significantly after this patch, they might notice how disastrous their decisions were.

5 Likes

Calling the developers idiots may not convince them to change ES back, but neither did any of the other many dozens of more politely worded requests. As far as I can tell nothing said in this forum impacts what happens with the game. As for Fixing things that aren’t broken - ES is now most certainly broken and I have no doubt that it will remain broken. Whether something is broken or not seems to have no impact on whether or not it gets fixed.

2 Likes

I loved my ES FB meteor build (FB needs a serious BUFF, but that’s another discussion)! Change it back!

1 Like

The only way I found Firebird to be even remotely playable was with Etched Sigil. Through a combination of a buff, one spender, and Disintegrate: Convergence, it was possible to Ignite entire packs of enemies if you had enough time to lay down cover fire. Without it? Three separate casts every time, and that’s if they don’t one-shot you before you can get to the second cast.

Without Etched Sigil, Firebird is instantly binned for me. Like Blackthorne, it may as well be removed from the game.

4 Likes

The changes to Etched Sigil is the BEST they did in years.
They literally changed Wizard for the best!
All the possible builds I never thought possible I can do now. WOW! This is epic!

end of sarcasm…

4 Likes

And the builds in question didn’t even needed to be reduced in effectiveness, quite the opposite actually.

Haven’t played in years now, but am thinking of maybe doing this season after all but with a LON build just to show them where they can stick their new set. It would also be my first time ever doing a LON build so I guess in my case I would have something new to play with.

That goes both ways. There are discussion forum, public test realms, and leader boards that show how and where items are used. Just dropping in a change like this without any announcement or preview raises the question of how much Blizzard is really paying attention to community input.