Equipping via Armory fails on the first try

Seldom, equipping a build through the armory doesn’t fully equip it. Clicking “equip” again solves the issue. Personally, this happens to me around once per week.

In the video demonstration below, you can see the bug occur at 00:09:27. The player realizes it at 00:09:49 and re-equips the build.

Edit:
As explained below me, this probably occurs due to the fact that the Armory is “implemented” by “equipping the items left-to-right”, meaning it will try to equip the left hand weapon before the right hand weapon, for instance. If the current right hand weapon is an Ethereal, and the build in the Armory has an Ethereal in the left hand, then equipping it will fail. This also suggests that a simple fix might be calling “equip” in a loop until the equipment matches the Armory, or a required item is not found, or a maximum number of attempts ahs been reached.

The game only lets you use one of the same type of item at a time, and the armory works by swapping your items one at a time, and sometimes there will be a conflict.

The issue above is due to the fact that you can not dual wield Ethereals, and in each profile he is using an ethereal, but on opposite hands.

The armory is attempting to swap the main hand weapon first, but fails since there is already another ethereal in the offhand slot. The profile will load correctly on the next try because he is no longer using an Ethereal in the offhand.

The same thing will happen if you use the same type of rings, but wear them on different hands, or if you use the same gem, but use it in different jewellery slots.

The armory pieces get swapped out one-by-one, and if there is a conflict, it will not allow you to wear 2 of the same item even for a split-second while it is swapping out the rest of your gear.

For most armory profiles this is an easy fix for gems and rings, since you just need to make sure you always put the gems in the same sockets and wear the rings on the same hands between profiles.

In the particular case above, it makes a difference which weapon you hold in your main hand vs offhand, so it is just something to be aware of, and always make sure to click the load button twice.

Once you know what is actually happening behind the scenes when you click the “Load” button, you will realize that if you had done the same thing manually, it would have failed as well.

They could fix this easily by making a check afterward to make sure that everything loaded properly, and if not, auto-click the “Load” button again, or show you a message to alert you that something did not load correctly due to a conflict of equipment.

4 Likes

I am sorry, but a bug is still a bug, even if you probably found the underlying issue in the code that causes it.

1. This behavior is obviously not intentional.
  2. A user should not be expected to be familiar with the underlying mechanism when using an interface.

A valid fix for this bug is to perform the equipping action twice, and many software will handle similar situations this way.
Not calling this a bug shows you are not familiar with the terminology, and this post definitely belongs on this forum until Blizzard realizes whether they want to and are capable of addressing the bug.

I think you are right.

When they first implemented the Armory, they said the following:

• New Feature: Armory

• Players may now save up to five different builds per character using the Armory
      • This new feature can be found in the town hub within each Act
    • Saving a build in the Armory will snapshot your character’s current gear, socketed gems, active and passive skills, and Kanai’s Cube powers
      • Equipping a saved armory build will automatically swap items and gear between the character and stash

If they said it would automatically swap items and gear from the stash, and it does not do that properly, then I agree that this is a bug.

1 Like

It shouldn’t even swap one by one.

It should simply de-equip everything and replace/equip with the saved items, those taken off shuffled to stash.

Doing this would eliminate conflicts as there’d be nothing worn that could generate it.

But, yes, a bug. You should not have to use the armory twice to get your saved loadout back.

If you are out of stash and inventory space then everything will get dropped on the ground when you swap gear, if it worked that way. Then if you DC, you have lost an entire set of gear.

I think it is better to deal with Equipment conflicts than the possibility of losing a full set of gear because your stash was full.

Sure, you could say it was the player’s fault for trying to swap gear with a full stash and inventory, and I would also say that players should understand how the armory works to avoid equipment conflicts. Even with your fix, they would still need to know not to swap gear without enough space, so it still just comes back to understanding how the armory works.

1 Like