Energy Twister items

Dear wizards, how sick are you of Energy Twister?

I suggest three changes to existing items that would make a huge difference:

Ranslor’s Folly

The damage of Energy Twister is increased by [225 - 300]% and it periodically pulls in lesser enemies within 30 yards. This happens on cast and periodically afterwards… (Wizard Only)

Valthek’s Rebuke

Energy Twister now travels in a straight locks on the first enemy in its path and deals [300 - 400]% increased damage. If the enemy dies, the tornado draws towards the next nearby target. (Wizard Only)

wrEtched Sigil

While channeling Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, or Ray of Frost, the damage of your Energy Twisters is increased by [200 - 250]%, and you also cast Energy Twister every second. Manually casting Twister no longer interrupts your channeling skill and automated Twisters count as cast by you.

Energy Twister has so many items now, yet it’s still one of the most erratic and quirky skills we have. Using it is… a bit fun and greatly frustrating at the same time, because small change to how the items behave could make this skill a real blast.

1 Like

Hi, you are suggesting serious buffs to the best wizard build, which can already smash the highest GRs even on relatively bad maps. Your suggested edits 1 and 3 show that you don’t completely understand the mechanics of the build because they don’t make sense, I recommend you read a guide and watch some a gameplay video. The bold part of edit 3 already exists on console, I recommend you check a gameplay video from there to see how over-powered the playstyle is.

3 Likes

yes, I do… now what? What happens on consoles is nothing I do care about. the devs don’t either, otherwise they had pulled the plug from Firebird Twister along with axing Mirrorbirds… so, yeah, I know how out of whack Twisters are on consoles and I don’t want corner stacking or crap like that.

Good Lord, you have no idea how sick and tired I am of Energy Twister (been sick of it since Vanilla actually). I became even more sick of it, when it costed us etched sigil…

As for your suggestions, I’m not against it, since I don’t even intend to play Energy Twister (even if they give it a legendary power to 1-shot every monster on the screen regardless of monster’s hp), that’s just how much I dislike the skill.

I’m also sick of it, trust me. I would rather play some working Meteor/Black Hole build with updated Tal Rasha set but will we see that? I have my doubts. I want a build that can wipe the screen clean without using several over-complicated or clunky mechanics. I will list some base effects:

“Increases duration and reduced the cooldown of Black Hole by 50%”
“Black Hole pulls a Meteor Shower of the same element from the sky.”
“Enemies hit by Black Hole take more damage from Meteor.”
“Your pickup radius adds to the impact area of Black Hole and Meteor”

And there would be items to use, looking at you Blackhand Key (wand) or Jang’s Envelopment (belt). They could also improve Grand Vizier, or do some stuff with Smoldering Core, our other Meteor staff though I deem having two 2H staves a design mistake in itself.

But I lost all hope after seeing their Mirrorbird solution. So maybe asking for broken stuff for rotten Twisters work better :slight_smile:

Did you just propose buffs for a skill you claim to be sick of? Fail.

I’m sick of it. If they buff it that could change. Got nothing else to say? Fail.

Not a smart idea to call for buffs to a build when you’re sick of it. If you’re asking for playstyle changes that’s a different matter, but it should be done while keeping the power level of the build roughly the same.

But why not ask for other builds/playstyles to be buffed so that you could play those instead? IMO the twister playstyle is fine, just the build itself is quite overpowered (though reverse archon has a lot to do with this).

Nice work Lexa. I could get on board with your suggestions.

1 Like

Don’t mind me, I was just ranting. Like I said, I’m not against your ideas for energy twister. It’s just a skill I’ve never liked, but apparently the devs do, considering the amount of support items that it has…

That said:

I love each of these. Just include one more where Black Hole gains the Blazar rune, and the explosion can be used with any element, and then massively buff Black Hole’s damage, and I’d be a happy camper.

Something like:

“Black Hole gains the Blazar and Event Horizon Rune. Black Hole no longer deals damage as it pulls in enemies. Instead the damage is accumulated and dealt at the explosion at the end. Black Hole deals xxx-xxx% more damage.”

The first two suggestions are nice QoL improvements. The last one is just outright OP. But I guess this was the goal.

First two seem like they should have been done yesterday, yes please. Last one not only looks like developer hell but probably will make it too strong…sure yes not absurdly console strong but pretty up there.

Etched Sigil no doubt needs a mechanic change though so maybe just get rid of the entire casts Twisters all together and say reduces Arcane power cost of Twisters in half. Why is this okay now? Well because we have Valthek’s Rebuke so we’re not reliant on Deathwish (which needs to be more builds like this btw!) so Etched Sigil is now the only thing that still has this channel mechanic associated with it for not a very good reason as it’s an Area damage loss with no other modifiers besides Mantle of Channeling shoulders to support it. (assuming that’s what your intent was with those changes)

I’m not sick of them at all; in fact, I’ve only ever used them twice and found it mostly “meh” as in not that effective mainly due to being generally unpredictable.

Then again, I’ve only had 4 wizards and 2 of them used Firebird (one pre-enhancement which I absolutely despised) so my opinion is biased toward wanting to try more stuff, not be restricted because of lack of experience.

I highly recommend everyone interested in this topic to read a guide and watch a gameplay video, to understand what the build can do exactly and how. I have high quality links to both if anyone’s interested. In addition, just to clarify:

Last one … sure yes not absurdly console strong but pretty up there

This is exactly what they have in console and why it’s so strong there.

Etched Sigil no doubt needs a mechanic change…

Reduce arcane power is useless in serious builds, casting twisters is very useful.

we’re not reliant on Deathwish (which needs to be more builds like this btw!)

No build besides Firebird is using Deathwish.

it’s an Area damage loss

it’s not.

not that effective mainly due to being generally unpredictable

Try playing in a correct manner - cast all your twisters at the same spot and take the wicked wind rune.

2 Likes

No. I prefer to let them autocast because I am lazy and there is no real targeting on console.

1. Since you’re lazy don’t complain about them being unpredictable. If you want them to be more predictable there is a simple solution: stop being lazy.
  2. Don’t try to argue for all players, PC and console. On PC the situation is very different, as you can’t simply channel while autocasting.

I love the twister pull, for zwiz or as a way to add density in other builds! I think pulling in elites would be great and needed for the zwiz!

The LoD twister build is ok, but it’s a bit slow and clunky with the gradually increasing damage, so mostly for pushing rather than for speeds. It’ll be quite strong S25 already, so if adding in elite pull to ranslors, would probably have to nerf LoD twister in some other way.