Ending Bots With D2R <Critical>

That may well be so, as I said, I’m no expert in this area any more.

What would you (and anyone else interested) estimate the average play time requirements to be for 2 x HR?

I’m just going take a tiny piece to try and convince you that you are not taking the time to read what I’m saying, and instead appear to be rebutting arguments you’re imagining.

I said: “Above there are several folks arguing in favor of bots…”

You replied by talking about what actual botters do. You even quote “think” as if I talked about what botters think. But I wasn’t talking about botters themselves there. In fact, nowhere did I try to tackle what botters think. I was talking about people here who defended their presence on the realm. It’s a minor point, but one where I think I could spell out the issue most clearly. And your post is full of this kind of misinterpretation.

I appreciate what you’re saying, I’m just saying the argument you’re using is incorrect.

If so they don’t want to fill the referee / anti cheat / game master / admin role as a gaming company so I will not buy or play their game again, I’m personally tired of this, seen enough of this. Do it or I don’t buy or play.

I do believe things are achievable without money, like hire volunteers or something. But that may not work, for example it doesn’t really seem to work on CS:GO (lots of cheaters unbanned despite the “overwatch” volunteer system). But it does work on D2 private servers. Blizz is a company, they making a profit off their games and servers so i think they should pay their game masters and deal with cheating. [Heck i’d even pay a little subscription to support that, just make that sub optional. But again no plans to dismantle cheating, no buy and no play.]

It’s a good question but it’s kind of like asking how many home runs you expect a baseball player to hit in a week. The number will be surely be small but it can also vary quite a good deal. My personal experience is that if you merely walk the entirety of hell difficulty solo, that includes doing things like getting that Act3 flail pieces, which most players rush past, you can usually expect one high rune if you play in games with a decent player count.

I’m just gonna repeat my own experience this season, 1 Gul, 1 Vex, 3 Ohm, 2 Sur, 1 Ber, 1 Cham. Certainly some unexpected luck there, but I don’t have a single character over 91. So that’s not a lot of grinding. And while I had some decent free time early in the season, I was working in the second half and even took a whole month or two break from playing. Even a rune count half of that, imo, is still enough to get a few elite piece of gear.

I’ve not had a hr drop in probably 40 game play hours. I frickin’ due, though I don’t need one.

Then you’d best not buy D2R - it is absolutely unrealistic to expect Blizzard (or, frankly, any company these days) to shell out the considerable dough it would take to have real people spending time manually eavesdropping on games to try and spot bots.

And using volunteers would put Blizzard into a world of potential hurt from some volunteer going rogue, or being accused of going rogue (either way it wouldn’t matter).

Sorry ProMeTheus, but I think it’s absolutely dead set certain that your hopes here will be dashed.

Ok, fair enough, let’s take your experience this season, an outlier though it might be, as a rough starting point. What would you estimate your hours spent to have been?

I ask, because in 20 years, I’ve gotten 2 x Jah as the sum total of my HR’s. Now, keep in mind, I hardly played 8 hours a day 5 days a week, indeed there’s a nearly 10 year gap in there where I didn’t play at all, but even 2 x Jah over 10 years of casual play strikes me as kinda low.

If the professionals handle it, the cheaters will be very few and there won’t be so much time to spend dealing with it. PUBG are doing it. It can be done.

That said, we all know how terrible blizz has been at that for years or decades, so I agree with you. I’m just saying, because I really love D2 I think it’s amazing, but I want to say why I won’t buy or play it, and explain how to make it as good as it should be, what are it’s shortcomings. Maybe there’s a chance and if not, ciao.

[plus it’s actually Vicarious Visions so… well they’re under Activision anyway…]

I will say that also just strikes me as peculiar, given that the runes just slightly lower ought to drop more often? I mean you oughta see several from the group of Gul, Vex, Ohm before you see two Jahs. Not doubting you to be clear, just saying that is peculiar based on the odds. I’m on the other end, I’ve never seen a Jah.

I do understand, hell, I even share the desire for a cheat free D2 experience, but we need to be realistic about what D2R will, and will not be - and, unfortunately, one thing it will be is a source of profits for item sellers, dupers and cheats.

I mean I think if they’re planning to deal with cheats they can chime in on that topic here or elsewhere and will see. That would be the best for D2. They just need to be ready before release and have the tools for it, spectating private games and etc. Auto updates periodically would also likely work and less admin time required.

Well, I do have other “middle ranking” rune drops - quite a few over the years up to around Gul and I used to trick level 1 mules into Hell for their hell forge drops several at a time when I was playing heavily to get more, but yeah, in the “super high” rune category, it’s been 2 x Jah in (let’s call it) 10 years (effectively).

To add an even more bite-sized anecdote, I had a javazon this season that farmed the arcane sanctuary to get from level 75 or so to level 84. In higher player count games, and she alone found one of the Ohms and the Vex doing that. And just in that small gap of level gaining.

I will be absolutely dumbfounded - but almost just about the first to cheer - if we see such a post.

I would be willing to bet on very long odds that we don’t.

I’ve scored a vex in the Blood Moor about 5-6 seasons ago and 3-4 seasons ago I popped an Ohm from a chest in Black Marsh. They both happened when first entering the areas.

I got an Ohm from a spider cocoon Act3 Hell while walk-leveling my hc druid. Also an Ist from crypt next to Blood Raven on one of my first tries there with bowazon. I think the drop rates are all right I just don’t expect to get a lot of HRs just eventually a bunch to use or trade with. I think overall 1.10 runewords are just OP though, and you wouldn’t need these HRs as much if they weren’t in the game, then the HRs are just used to socket on some rare/unique items for their actual single bonus as intended initially in LOD/1.09. Which is fine… because I think monsters are too easy to survive to and kill with the 1.10 runewords, the difficulty becomes too low, and it breaks balance between chars who have them or not too, for pve or pvp. Anyway, no cheats and everyone’s on the same page with the rarity, as opposed to cheaters having everything to begin with and soon everyone else having a bunch of OP stuff too and the game becoming too easy too fast : P And if you want to pvp but don’t cheat… ? etc

If you’re doing the most efficient runs in the game (sealbug7/8) you should expect an HR maybe around every 10-15 hours ( I count vex+as HR)

That’s finding 1 rune approx. every 4 minutes, which is doable, but only a few chars are capable of it.

With efficient pit runs on bnet, it’s probably closer to every 25-35 hours.

How much of that 20 years hour-wise was pre-1.13 though, and how many hours do you have since 1.13?

1.13 buffed runedrops like crazy.

I think pre-1.13 I only ever saw maybe a Ber, a Lo, and a few Ohms/Vex, since 1.13 I can’t even count my Ohm/Sur/Ber anymore.

2 Likes

Ya just felt the need to really reemphasize this point. I played a lot right after LoD but then took a long break until recently. I think I almost never saw high runes back in the day. They drop with enough frequency that decent, legit players can easily hope to nab a handful in a six month ladder, imo.