Endarire's D2R Suggestions List Based on the Mod Project Diablo 2

Greetings, all!

I made the list below because I wanted a better D2 experience. May these benefit the new D2!

Thankee!

docs.google. com/document/d/1N55V22emzcpitbgvixUqQ9xS7hVY52V9zcnWTlr9G00/edit

(As an aside, I bought the game to post this link. How do I post links?)

5 Likes

Dont mind the previous guy, nothing wrong with making suggestion how to improve the game for future.

Can you post content here and not just link?

I have troubles reading it in link from phone. Also I would like to have it here so i can make quotes.

4 Likes

I appreciate your enthusiasm but disagree with nearly all of these changes.

Way too much for a remaster; it would not be the same game.

5 Likes

You can use back ticks ` before and after the ilnk. This puts the link in a form where you don’t need to put spaces like this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N55V22emzcpitbgvixUqQ9xS7hVY52V9zcnWTlr9G00/edit

Then people can just double click on the line and copy or open link from there without having to edit out the spaces.

To do it right, without using back ticks, you have to be trust level 2 on the forums to post external links natively. This takes a long time lol. It’s kind of ridiculous tbh.

This is a link to a forum guide that includes syntax:

1 Like

I’m really glad people are trying to contribute, but there are massive implications to your list.
Some of the stuff you think are “minor” are major balance changes. I’ll give you an indication, base on my extensive experience in playing real, legit D2 and not mods for 20 years.

“All characters should always have 16+ belt slots! Belt or no belt, I want 16+ belt slots.”

-No. Do you have any idea how bad this would throw the balance of MFing rare belts in Classic D2? Terrible idea. This is not minor.

" Note that some Diablo II mods like Median XL have removed the softcore death penalty."

• This is one reason why the more serious oldschool players stick with OG D2.

“Prorate item drops and vendor inventories to be more likely to give higher-end gear the closer the ladder season is to ending.”

No. We don’t need to make it extra advantageous to play at specific times during a season, it’s already hard enough to find time to play games. Also, Ladder items aren’t “wiped” at the end of season, they transfer to nonladder for PvP. Drop rates are fine.

“Vendors should have a small chance to sell rare items, unique items, set items, charms, gems, jewels, and runes.”

-Are you trying to make the game easier to bot and cheat? this is how you do that with shopscripts. I’m trying to be nice here but these are awful changes.

“I’d be more inclined to spend gold on gambling if, for example, I had a 20%+ chance for a unique”

Then you’d have way too high a chance of gambling SoJs, maras, and other high end jewelry. Do we really want multiplayer to become Sacred, where people sit around for 2 hours, drinking coffee in town?

6 Likes

Mods will bring the changes you want. The core game will (and should) remain the same as it has been.

“Gambling should also always have a random rune, small charm, large charm, and jewel each time”

More reasons for shopscripts.

“Gambling vendors should have multiple pages of items for gambling.”

They already have gamble refresh, same thing.

“Gambling should be able to produce any item instead of only items about the gambling character’s level.”

Gambling is a bloody artform in D2 right now and is a reason I did so well in D2.
Most people don’t know the intricacies of gambling and think gold is “useless” it’s one of the reasons I got rich in D2 being mostly self found. I have 4 gamble-only characters, for example, because I know what I’m doing. Let’s not reward mediocrity.

“Also allow rings, amulets, boots, belts, and gloves to be socketed.”

Nope. Would completely change certain builds and slots. PvP would change too much to make this the standard in a remaster.

“NRG should also boost faster cast rate (FCR)”

I stopped reading here, but I hope you enjoy modding D2R, because these changes are way too drastic.

4 Likes

Yeah i dont really like changes you talk about at all too. You are right.

Diablo 3, other ARPGS and mods have softened people up too much. They’re scared of playing Diablo 2 again. :laughing:

2 Likes

Which is funny, because current D2 is actually pretty “soft” compared to many 90s RPG with permanent stat distortion, permanent death, age penalties, no respecs, etc.

D2 already holds your hand quite a bit…I can’t imagine making it easier by allowing every item in the game to be shopped.

1 Like

Thats why i loved to play hell unleashed D2 mod, normal diablo 2 is super easy compared to that :slight_smile:

Yeah I liked some of the older 10X HP mods and stuff. They were fun.
The ones with dropmod were fun too, because even though every drop had sets/uniques and you could switch items at will, the game was still super tough.

1 Like

For most of these I personally would say no, HOWEVER there is one that I’m not entirely against and does sound kind of interesting and that is reintroducing cut content like the guild vault, guild hall, cottages, arena, etc…

I think it would be fun to see this unused content be reused in a meaningful way in D2:R, always open to seeing more of BNorth’s fine work make it into their own game.

2 Likes

Yeah there are a few minor ones in there that I skimmed past that would be alright…

I might try them when mods are made for D2r, but definitely not for the base game.

I have’nt even read through all of it, but by seeing the length of the text it seems way too much for a remaster.

your idea of personal loot, and “No exp death penalty on softcore, but give us more rewards if we choose to enable those losses”

no.

please dude, just no. stop it. this isn’t cuddly camp carebear. you will have ber’s drop, and someone else will grab it. get over it, move along. the idea of personal loot greatly disgusts myself and many other players. (not just purists).

Wait for a mod to come along with personal loot, and watch what that does to the game. PLEASE DO NOT EXPERIMENT ON D2:R WITH PERSONAL LOOT. FFS PLEASE DONT, I WOULD RATHER SEE RAINBOWS, UNICORNS AND COLOR SATURATION. FFS