Elemental Exposure

‘Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will cause them to take 5% more damage from your attacks for 5 seconds. Each different damage type applies a stack, stacking up to 4 times.’

How does this exactly work. The way that I am reading this is one of two ways:

1- Each damage type gives an additional 5% damage creating one stack. With all four damage types stacking, this amounts to 5%+5%=5%=5%= 20% total.

OR

2- Each damage type gives 5% damage stacking up 4 times EACH which amounts to 20%+20%+20%+20%= 80% total

I have always believed it was number one which makes sense as Blizzard has never put in a skill rune which offers 80% damage. Is there any evidence as to how this works?

Quite sure its 5% per element. You can use the d3planner site to figure that out as well. Also, 80% damage would be a free squirts necklace basically.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts. So WHY are people giving up 20% damage on magic weapon to gain an additional 5% damage of the cold effect on Frost Nova?

It’s because of the CC I’d imagine. Once you get into 130+, you can’t really stand in the mobs anymore. On paper what you say makes sense, but in practice, it will hurt you. Also, they use both. So they are getting 15-20% (usually 15%) and 33% damage, not just one or the other. The CC is to proc the bane of the trapped. You’d have to find another way to create CC, like the arcane passive that slows the enemies.

I dont get that because your follower continuously creates CC, plus you also have the 15 yd radius from the BoT.

Well, I feel like they don’t hit all the enemies on the screen, so in the end, I think you’d lose DPS. I see what you’re saying though.

This
The total would be 20% - 40% with the Primordial Soul

As discribed :slight_smile:
Each differant Element in your Build, give you a Stack, like with Tal Rasha.

The Dmg-Type of your Weapon also counts in !
So if you rund with

Desintegration = Arcanre
MI + Exp. = Fire
Frostnova = Ice

and your Weapondmg of your Mainhand is rolled Lightning, you would gain the whole 20% auf this Passive, otherwise only 15%

2 Likes

That is perfect! Thanks for the replies. I think that for DPS it makes more sense to have Magic Weapon/Force Weapon which offers 20% damage increase rather than using frost nova only increasing damage to 5%. I also determined this in several runs where Magic Weapon was more efficient in clears, and this now makes sense. Thanks

You are to quick on this XD

1.)
Frostnova is taken to give yourself and the MI more Defanse in higher Grifts

2.)
Frostnova - Bone Chill

Bone Chill

Enemies take 33% more damage while frozen or chilled by Frost Nova.

This has not as much to do with the 5% incr. frome EE, but more coz of the above stated Benefits

Pretty positive frost nova does nothing for this passive.

2 Likes

Well, after testing this further, mind you, I am not the greatest player here, but I find that there is no advantage to damage increase at all, as the effect of the 33% from Frost Nova is only for 2 sec and the cooldown at best, is only at 5 sec, so the 33% is only good for those enemies actually hit at 40% of the time at best. I do find that it offers some advantage defensively in higher GR’s though, so it may be worth keeping over Magic Weapon. It also offers a little advantage for me as in higher GR’s, I almost always forget to re-hit Magic Weapon when it ruins out after 10 min fighting and I am at the Rift Guardian :frowning: .

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Someone would have to check, but my instinct is that only Frost Nova: Frozen Mist would trigger EE. EE specifically states “damaging enemies”. Frost Nova: Bone Chill does not damage enemies, only Frozen Mist does.

Yes. I question the value of Bone Chill outside of builds using Halo of Arlyse (so it would get spammed out instead of being limited by cooldown). Although… do mirror images cast it?

1 Like

Images cast it and it melts elites if you cast it at the right time. Their casts don’t give the damage bonus.

Frost Nova used to deal 1% weapon damage per cast, despite the tooltip never mentioning it. And it did trigger EE.
But that was 6 years ago, so ymmv.

3 Likes

It doesn’t work with Tal’s I don’t think. The biggest issue is there’s no way to tell if it’s working, so you don’t know what actually procs it.

Yep, I was just coming back to say that I just tested and all runes of Frost Nova seem to grant an EE stack (and 2 if you have fire/lightning/arcane on your weapon).

Didn’t know about the 1% weapon damage thing, that’s neat!

Yeah. It used to do damage in Beta, but it was deemed too strong. Which turned out to be accurate, considering Critical Mass. But it was WAYYYYYYYYYY overnerfed in typical Diablo fashion.