Elemental Damage Question

So, after what seems like endless farming, I finally have an Ancient Golden Flense for my Crusader. However…it has cold damage, which doesn’t really mesh with my bracers and their +19% fire damage bonus. I also have fire with Blazing Sweep on my Sweep Attack.

My question is, does the +19% damage work on the Blazing Sweep damage? In other words, as I try to get my weapon and bracers to match, does it make a difference if both are fire or both are cold, assuming all other stats are equal?

Thanks for any help.

The damage type on a weapon does not matter, just the damage range.

For example: A Yangs bow has 1560 - 1940 cold damage. The “cold” portion no longer matters for players, only the damage range.

Now the Elemental Damage on your Bracers, Amulet and certain other items does matter, a lot. If you main attack skill is a Fire skill, then 20% Fire Damage is a significant buff to that skill.

There is only one instance that I know of where damage type on a weapon is important, and that is only on a follower. If you equip your follower with a Wyrdward Ring, then the weapon has to have lightening to proc the Wyrdward Stun.

Thanks for the replies, saved me a lot of time (and mats!). So, two questions:

1. Why even have the damage type on the weapon? Is that just a remnant from earlier versions of the game?

2. Since my main attack does have fire (through a rune), is that basically the only way that the bracers are helping my damage? Not aware of any other Crusader main skill that has Fire…

Thanks again.

I main a DH, so others will correct me if I’m wrong.

Most bracers can come with Elemental, Main Stat, Crit Hit Chance, and a 4th primary stat.

The 'sader forum might have build guides and you can also look at IcyVeins for a general idea of what to look for when gearing up.

As Varadia stated, it does not matter. The +1807-2260 Cold Damage on your Golden Flense Flail is just extra Damage. The +19% Damage on your Strongarm Bracers is for ALL your SKILLS that do Fire Damage.

The only time you should be concerned with re-rolling the Elemental Damage is on Properties that include the word “Skills” in it. For example, if your main Damage dealer is Fire and you acquired an item with +% Cold Skills, you would re-roll +% Cold Skills to +% Fire Skills.

You should never roll off the Elemental Damage for a different Property, except in some very special situations and you know what you’re doing.

Note 1: There may be exceptions depending on your build and end-game goals.

Note 2: “Elemental Damage” Range includes:

• +min-max% Physical Damage
  • +min-max% Damage (a.k.a. Raw Damage)

It does not include +% Damage (+8% Damage, for example), which is a separate Property.

Mostly just old game mechanic. It still has some effect on a few specific skills.

The wiz Elemental Exposure comes to mind. It’s a passive that requires an attack from 4 different elements very frequently. The weapon DMG type contributes to keeping it up.