Dungeons for new gear?

Just something different to discuss for a change of pace :slight_smile:
I was wondering when Blizzard plans to include dungeon mastery’s for all the new sets?
With the new season journey there is a set mastery requirement for the conquest part. Most everyone has done the mysteries for the old sets and I am sure would like to see something new.

Thus far, Blizzard has no plans on creating set dungeons for the new class sets.

Also, from my understanding, most folks hate set dungeons in general (or at least the fact that they’re tied to the season journey), as such I doubt many people would be keen on having new set dungeons.

5 Likes

As just stated above me, I would assume most players dislike set dungeons and adds salt to the wound if you have to do them for a journey.

OK, guess I am one of few that enjoyed new challenges instead of “Cookie cutter” repeating of the same content with minor changes to make the same things seam “New”.

This is true. I despise Set Dungeons, and never really understood the need for their existence.

The same can perhaps also be said for Challenge Rifts…

But the whole point of Set Dungeons is that they never change. They remain the same and independent of difficulty level, regardless.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering this myself. Not that I would care to see more Set Dungeons.

It’s just that, I thought the purpose of Haedrig’s Gifts in Seasons were to help players push ahead in their Journey. And there’s 2 Journey Objectives that require completing a Set Dungeon to finish the Season through the Guardian Chapter. (Although you can knock them both out at once if you Master the Dungeon on the first visit. Even if it takes you more than one try).

So, I was surprised to see Blizzard add the new Sets in Haedrig’s Gifts for Season 22. “At first glance” it appears that this defeats the purpose of HGs. Of course, having the new Sets will allow players to push into higher Game Difficulties to farm the needed Sets.

Who knows?  

(And just in case it wasn’t clear in the first sentence: I hate Set Dungeons too).

Nobody forces you to play a cookie cutter build.

Whats there to hate about set dungeons? Personally I really like them. Is it because you have to farm a new build to get an easier one or something?

It’s because they never change. Diablo has always been about random maps. Set Dungeons don’t provide that.

Usually it’s because they force you to play a set / build in a way that’s completely contrary to how you’d ever play them “out in the world”. For example, lots of the set dungeons are easier to complete if your hero has low damage, i.e. they become harder to complete the better your gear gets.

The Crusader’s Invoker dungeon is an excellent example of this. It’s easier to complete with 30K thorns than with 300K. That’s because you need the goat spearmen to hit you 75 times. With a low thorns value they can throw their spears twice before they die. With a high thorns value, they one-shot themselves. Thus, you get the objectives complete earlier in the dungeon with low thorns.

There’s a Monk dungeon (sorry, can’t remember which one) that relies on you grouping up 20+ mobs and applying a damage ability to them. The grouping is usually done via Cyclone Strike. If your damage is high, the Cyclone kills them long before you can apply the other ability.

There’s the DH’s Unhallowed Essence dungeon that wants to you hit 20+ mobs at once, multiple times. Reducing your damage, by just equipping a yellow crossbow, means that once you’ve gathered a pack of sufficient mobs, you can multishot them twice before they die, meaning you need less gatherings.

And so on…

2 Likes

Actually, existing set dungeons are a problem for complete set overhauls.

For instance if Firebird would be remade without igniting mechanic, the set dungeon (at least the goals) would have to be changed as well. More or less it applies to all set mechanics. This probably is the main reason that for “old sets” we can kinda get DR and DMG changes, but mechanics not so much. Buffing non-set legendaries that “work with a set” usually is not changing mechanics that much.

I actually would prefer the newest class sets to be an “open playground” so they can be tweaked and changed, even in mechanics. Having no set dungeon for them in that regard is positive IMHO.

BTW, I have mastered all set dungeons within the first month they came out, and it was much harder to do them back then. They upped the timers in the meantime and made last mobs visible on map.

Yeah that is true, having to lower your damage is something I did hate. I believe you’re also referring to Innas monk which I left till last due to this issue. Most issues seem to arise from either scaling issues or just crappy objectives. If these issues were fixed would you enjoy them?

Nope. Literally the only reason I did the set dungeon masteries was because they were the last achievements I was missing to get 100%. Apart from doing one each season, I’ll never set foot in one again.

3 Likes