Don't Ruin Runewords!

Thats what made Diablo 2 items great though. If uniques are the best items in the game then every character is going to end up exactly the same which is very boring. Finding a godly rare in Diablo 2 is so exciting and I honestly haven’t experienced anything like it in other games.

For real. Just give base (white) items 1-6 sockets and give us some awesome runewords. Runeword items are hardly any different than legendary items its just a way to target specific legendaries which is awesome for solo players. This isn’t that far off from upgrading a rare item in D3 to a legendary item.

Amen-Ra is the origin of that word, in case you had ever wondered.

1 Like

Marketing and dev departments realize it will be very difficult to appease the veterans who’d know better.
Their target audience aren’t the veteran D2 players, but the younger demographic who wouldn’t know any different.

EZPZ mode for greater profitability.

So say they all.

They better fix it otherwise I’ll stick to Path of VexOhmIstDol

2 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

1 Like

At least some around here is the LemKoElEld.

Simple:
Remove ancient legendaries/ancient sets. Or better: make them really hard to get for example just by crafting really hard to get materials into the basic found legendaries/sets.
Make some runes hard to get, like starting at endgame/pre-endgame.
Keep old D2 Runeword System/Expand it/Improve it/balance it
Make runeword items strenght go between magic/rare/set/legendary/mythic
Import D4 demo “runewords” systen into another system, like effect/condition gems (with more sockets and triggers).
Jewels could could come as they were in D2 they were some great magic jewels and unique facets that helped on custom builds.
Profit.

Yeah this doesn’t have to be difficult, its simply collecting and combining 2-6 runes for a legendary/unique set of attributes.

They can even make some of the rune words produce legendary skill modifiers and other stuff.

The whole “use a potion to activate next rune, you now 5% more crit” its lame.

They should reserve what they showed at blizzcon for something like jewels.

1 Like

My take on runewords, build-your-own runewords, basically:

• White items can have up to 3 sockets.
  • Blue items can have up to 2 sockets.
  • Rare and up one socket only (can’t make runewords).
  • Each rune has an effect;
  • Each sequential rune pair on an item has an effect.

Example:

• 3 socket white armor;
  • “A” rune with fire resistance;
  • “B” rune with cold resistance;
  • “C” rune with increased defense;

Let’s say I add them in ABC order on my armor, my item would become:

• Fire resistance (from A)
  • Cold resistance (from B)
  • Increased armor (from C)
  • Half frozen duration (From AB)
  • Chance to cast ice nova when struck (From BC)

Another example:

• 2 socketed weapon with increased damage;
  • “D” rune with life gain on kill;
  • “E” rune with resource gain on kill;

Adding both to the item, it gets:

• Increased damage (from the item);
  • Life gain on kill (from D)
  • Resource gain on kill (from E)
  • Monsters rest in peace (from DE)

Just thought the idea was cool while also adding usability for the lower rarities of items.

1 Like

D4 runewords have nearly nothing in common with d2 runewords
its just a mechanik that is taken over from path of exile, reduced to 2 sockets, and called “runewords”
come on blizzard u can do better

3 Likes

I don’t agree that runewords should be exactly like d2’s.
As Llama said, what matters is diversity of the items, where a lower class type (blue) has a small chance to beat a superior classtype (rare), and so on and so forth with green and uniques.

Runewords can be built in a different way.
I love D2’s runewords but I their new runeword system is convincing for me. More creativity.

Because critical hit chance and critical hit damage are creative right? You have no clue what you are talking about.

1 Like

I am not saying critical hit damage is good, verticality must stop and I posted enough times that the game must lean towards a non linear progression, a more logarithmic curve of progression.
I’m just saying the system that activates runes with conditions is interesting, The list of suffixes and its amount may change I guess and hope. (Especially everything that boost vertical damage progression, where I agree with you)

1 Like

un fortunately what is going to happen without d2 styled Runewords is that people will just choose the rune combination that will boost their damage and ignore the other 90% of them.

Those that do not choose a dps role will automatically suffer the boring bich role, and ultimately cry because they cant do anything by themselves.

It’s not that magic items would “beat” the rares, its that between rares and magic items they have characteristics that only they have. Example: A magic while having fewer affixes 2-3 can have a higher roll such as +3 skills, where a rare with more affixes 4-6 will have a more in the middle range (+1-2 skills).

What they showed for runewords at blizzcon was an interesting enough idea but they should just give us BOTH of what runewords were in D2 and what they showed at blizzcon. People liked collecting multiple pieces to combine for a unique awesome item, they shouldn’t discount that and if they aren’t going to discount it just use it for runewords and use something like jewels for the idea they showed at blizzcon.

They should also add in a user interface that allows players to quickly see a library list of all the runeword combinations in-game.

Not necessarily, because with dungeon key modifiers they can modify what players will need on their items for a dungeon. They can emphasize dungeons that require more defensive stats (elemental resistances etc), more mobility, things that deter players from stacking raw damage.

thank god, yes please fix this!

Blockquote
Making it a crafting systems just removes all that useless clutter from your stash, and the stupid part of actually misclickin something in your inventory. I believe most people who played D2 for a long time, accidentally socketed something wrong when arranging stuff in their stash.
Further, I would like Blizzard to make normal socketed items crafting materials!! Get those away from my stash. Nobody uses them untill they have the required runes or ingredients to use them. Totally useless housekeeping.
And I argue that the socketed item isn’t even mandatory to run the system, it’s just one more component to the item you wish to make.

Ah!
This seems exceptionally reasonable.
Make all runes “components” stored separately.
Make runeing an item a blacksmith thing. He has simple basic recipes/blueprints and can easily do any of the basics as seen in the demo. However!, instead of having socketed items, just have appropriate item type be another component. Rare armor (meeting level requirement if needed) plus any trigger rune and any effect rune = runed armor as seen in the demo.

Now, if you choose to add D2 style rune words, the recipes/blueprints would be more complex. First you have to find the blueprint for super powerful words, others might be learned as the blacksmith levels up, or be purchased in individual shops across the map. You could even hide a vendor in a deep dungeon for certain ones, or have them drop from certain bosses (even world bosses). Once you have the blueprint, pick any appropriate gear for that item, assemble the runes and possibly other components and see the blacksmith.

I only saw chest pieces in the demo, but hopefully rune word boots etc will be a thing.
I also heard one of the devs in a video mention gems fitting into sockets also. This can be handled the same way. Gems are components, stored out of primary inventory or in shared(account) stash, and any appropriate rarity of item can have X# of gems attached by blacksmith or jeweler or whichever. These artisans would also be able to remove runes/gems or replace them with another.

I personally would like for jewels to make a return and i bet many would also as well, but as pretty good effects like 40/15, +15 all rest + 7% fhr and stuff like that.
That way you can for example an 160/60 armor for 160% enhaced dmg of your weapon and +60 increased attack speed.
Same applies to 3OS helm 120/45.
You basically could make a really strong pvp character/item just with jewels and open socket armors/helms, even shields.
Even being only 2 affixes, a lot of people liked this for pvp builds instead of uniques/rares/runewords.
Same goes for facets for example rolling between +3-5% to lightning dmg to -3-5% to enemy lightning resistance.
Pretty good build for javelin amazons and conviction either from paladin (Fist of Heavens) or Infinity Runeword into merc.
This way you could for example take off immunities of some foes to deal damage with your build without being worried your preferred skill will be useless due to immunities.
To be honest, i think most would prefer to use gems as condition and effect socket items.
Gems were not so hard to find, still somewhat valuable (most likely Pdiamond and Ptopaz) so implementing current runes effect on gems would not be a bad idea.
Runes should stay as they were in D2, in the end of the day an Um or Ist rune were better than Pdiamond and Ptopaz.
This way we could still keep the custom socket crafting with jewels and runes for more free character build/customization.