Does coop play require buying D2 Resurrected?

My question is - will you be required to purchase D2 Resurrected to play coop with players who are running the D2 Resurrected game?

Example: Person A never had a diablo game and buys D2R. Person B already has an original copy of D2 and does not wish to re-buy D2 via D2R.

Can they both play together in coop, YES or NO? (not looking for opinions per se, as much as a definitive announcement/confirmation)

Thanks! And Good Hunting

This was a major bonus for me when StarCraft: Remastered was released. Crossplay between the old and new clients meant that everyone was able to enjoy a resurgence of activity in the game.

I would love to see the same thing as a feature of D2 Resurrected.

I don’t think so. They are leaving original D2 completely alone on the old Battlenet. That system is not connected at all, in any way, to the modern Bnet system that D2R will be on. Consoles also can’t play in the same game instance as PC players, etc.

2 Likes

Which is kinda sad. Crossplay would be a game changer imo. The main reason I’m interested in D2R is because I’m finally gonna be able to play D2 on a console - and it’s the only Diablo game I couldn’t do that officially yet.

So my current D2 and LoD will not be amalgamated into the remaster? I’ll be able to play my current versions on legacy bnet the same way I do now?

From what I’ve gathered from the current available interviews and such, yes. It’s the reason why this particular forum exists and hasn’t been merged with the D2R one.

Correct. You can continue to play D2 2000 and LoD 2001 exactly as you currently do on the old Bnet. They are taking nothing away.

1 Like

Thank you, my heart is swelling with love right now because of your answer. :green_heart:

One last question. Do you know if I’ll be able to play 8 copies of the remaster on the same machine using VMs like I can with the current version?

You would need one hell of a monster machine with multiple graphics cards (to do GPU passthrough to the VMs) to do that with the new graphics engine they’re slapping into it. The hardware requirements of D2R are likely to be higher than those of D3, even. Obviously you would have to buy the 8 copies on 8 different blizzard accounts to do that too. That’s a $320 investment and you’ll likely be the #1 most dedicated Diablo hobbyist of all time if you are willing to do that.

1 Like

I don’t know if you can do that easily or if there will be any anti botting/cheating software that might get in the way. People currently play more than one copy of Diablo 3 at a time… BUT Blizzard just cracked down on the use of multibox input broadcasting software in WoW.

I don’t know how far those restrictions will go but Blizz tends to apply policies to multiple games, eventually.

Thanks for the info. I don’t use any third party software or scripts. I manually move all my characters by manually flipping from window to window. I use the 7 other characters to increase difficulty and drop rates and for mules and buffing with an enchantress. What I do is currently allowed with D2 as long as 8 different key sets are used. I hope I can do it with the remaster when jspers finally get their bots running on the remaster. I do this because everyone and their uncle’s cat uses hacks and I don’t want to play with any of them but I still want to be competitive in the race to 99.

I wish I could say there would be no bots ever but that would be lying. I don’t think any game company has managed to completely defeat all bots, overlays, and cheating methods.

It is always cat and mouse. Detect and ban a bunch, update detection and blocking, rinse and repeat. They also sue (and win) multi-million dollar judgements against bot makers. So that stops THAT bot maker, but not others. Sadly some are in countries that don’t give a darn about US laws and they can’t be legally sued or prosecuted.

I DO think that it will be better than the old Bnet though. D2R is being updated to run on modern Bnet with modern anti -cheat tools. Don’t compare to D3…that is actually an old game compared to the anti cheat tools.

It won’t be prefect, but it will be better and they will continue to fight against cheaters.

1 Like

I like to think I already am with D2. I have 10 sets of D2 and LoD right now and in 18 years I’m pretty sure i’ve owned 14 copies, might be 12. :thinking:

I’m also a long distance thru hiker, and to give you an idea how dedicated I am to my hobbies, I ordered custom backpack from a US cottage company on Nov 3rd 2020 and it just arrived 2 weeks ago. The final bill was $485. US. My entire hiking set up is $6.4K and doesn’t include food and camp fees on the trails.

Don’t even get me started on my aquarium fish, reptiles and amphibians.

I think tomorrow I’m going to post in the remaster forum how the jsp business model really works. It’s important for everyone to know just how damaging that site is to D2 and D3. It will destroy D2:R as well.

My only hope is that Blizzard is stricter and more transparent. I was very impressed when I started playing Final Fantasy 14 and saw detailed weekly reports of their weekly banwaves stating how many accounts were closed for RMT, botting, or both. It’s thousands a week. If Blizz is this active with their games (D2, D3, D2R, WoW, D4, all of them), seeing a botter ingame would become a comfortably rare occurrence.

1 Like

That sounds like a little bit of heaven on bnet.

Just opened the ff14 website, and this post is from yesterday:

Real money trading (RMT) and other illicit activities upset the balance of the game and, as such, are prohibited under the Terms of Service.

Because we have confirmed the existence of players who are engaging in these illicit activities, we have taken the actions listed below.

Time Period: Feb. 18, 2021 to Feb. 24, 2021

・Participation in RMT/prohibited activities
・Accounts terminated: 5,213

・RMT advertising
・Accounts terminated: 615

Players who discover any confirmed cheats should, under no circumstances, exploit or disseminate such information. Instead, we ask that players file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] → [Support Desk] → [Contact Us] → [Report Cheating].

In addition, any witnessed RMT advertisement can be reported by right clicking the character name in the chat log and selecting the menu [Report] → [Report RMT Activity].
The report will be processed automatically, and if determined to fall under RMT advertising, the reported character’s comments will be restricted.

We will continue to take stringent disciplinary action against any accounts with confirmed involvement in RMT/illicit activity; players should take care to steer clear of any activity that violates the Terms of Service.

Now imagine seeing this in the Diablo 2 website weekly.

2 Likes

You should not post anything about it on D2R, or even here. Blizzard is well aware of what it is and how it works. Posting about it falls under promoting cheats/hacks or other shady stuff. So don’t do that.

As for D3 - that website has no impact on current D3 that I know of. Everything but rares and blues is account bound so there is nothing of value to trade.

The only damaging form of RMT for D3, as far as I know, is account selling. And that is blatant. Although it boggles me that anyone would choose to spend money on a D3 acccount of all things.

Which is obviously a terrible idea knowing you can’t change the name on the account and the account holder can take it back any time. Blizzard also locks accounts for security reasons when the access pattern changes. So yeah, if discovered, it gets a hard ban.

Blizzard bans a lot more per week than your quoted example. You are right though, they are not public about it. Sadly, even with both ongoing bans/suspensions, and mass ban waves, the money to be made off games is worth it to them to keep going.

The game currency, item, and services market is largely run by criminal organizations who specialize in it - and in stealing accounts to engage in it. Phishing scams with mass email spam, fake websites, malware, in game advertising, etc. It is a multi Billion dollar a year business in places US law does not reach. They also engage in the normal hacking and financial fraud, because of course.

Stopping them means stopping the flow of $$ and until people stop throwing money at them, they won’t go away.

1 Like