Does Cesar's Memento work if CC comes from an item?

Will Cesar’s Memento apply it’s damage buff, if monster was frozen/stunned/blinded by some items, like:
Frostburn (legendary property of 50% freeze on hit)
Azurewrath (secondary chance to Freeze on hit)
Sledge Fist (secondary chance to Stun on hit)

or any other similar items?

Yes to all. The effect from Cesar’s only checks if the enemy is under a stun or freeze, regardless of the source.

But what you say means it will proc even if enemy is stunned by another player.

Correct (11 characters)

I did not understand which 11 characters you are talking about, but the Cesar’s effect says “Enemies take % increased damage from your Tempest Rush for 5s after YOU hit them with a Blind, Freeze, or Stun”.

It specifically indicates that you must be the one hitting the mob.

There is a 20 character minimum in a post. The “(11 characters)” is a cheeky way to meet the minimum.

As far as the source of the blind, freeze or stun; I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t matter who inflicted it. I know for certain that the item procs in your original post do cause Cesar’s to proc. Before the change to Wom Kim Lau, I used to use Sledge Fist to proc Cesar’s.

Yes, but they don’t have to be visible characters. For example, if you wrote…

Correct. <xxxxxxxxx>

The characters within the less than / greater than symbols are treated like they HTML coding and, whilst they count towards the character limit the editor requires, they won’t be displayed in your post.

1 Like

But your way is not as “cheeky”, lol.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Understood. D3 has many things in descriptions that completely lie and misinform, so maybe Cesar’s Memento is one of them.

But I am making a LoD Tempest Rush build (for fun), and there is no room for Blinding Flash. Initially I used Cyclone Strike - Wall of Wind rune to proc Cesar’s, and it worked very well. As far as I understand, CS with WoW rune is just “fire and forget” rune, which ensures 100% uptime for Cesar’s Memento. Am I right?

But since I need more survivability, I swapped CS rune to “Soothing Breeze” for huge healing. To proc Cesar’s Memento, I equipped “Frostburn” (50% chance to freeze on hit) and Azurewrath (25% chance to freeze on hit). And now I have problems. Tested on Rift Guardians, when I get 50-100 stacks of TR, and release the explosion, I don’t see the damage buff of Cesar’s Memento. For example, in my last fight, out of 3 blasts of Tempest Rush only 1 had visible 800% damage increase. I don’t understand why those 2 items are so bad at proccing CM. Of course, they have a chance to not freeze a single time, but considering the 5 seconds window and Tempest Rush tickrate, chances of not freezing a single time should be very, very low.

You also have to account for CC immunity. /big targets like an RG can build up immunity pretty quickly, especially if your relying on Frostburns or Azurewrath. Each tick of TR while you channel and build up stacks can proc on the RG if it hits them. If they have hit CC immunity when you pop Flurry, then your explosion will not get any buff from Cesar’s Memento.

Cesar’s Memento, unlike Crusader’s Bracer of Fury, only requires the player to hit monsters with related CC effects. The targets don’t have to be actually affected by the CC effects for the bracers to work, which is why Cesar’s Memento works on even Juggernauts.

2 Likes

HunterKiller, what you say completely contradicts what Khord was saying before. I am confused…

That’s why I replied to point out what he said was incorrect. You don’t have to worry about CC resistance (immunity) when it comes to Cesar’s Memento.

1 Like

Oh, that is extremely good then. I wasted so much time thinking how to play around the CC resistance in the build.

So, if another person freezes mob - that doesn’t work for CM, right?

So, we can freely stack stricken on RGs w/o worrying about CC immunity and still get full cesars buff each cycle (200-400 stacks per RG when pushing), is what you’re saying, right?

The clarification of Cesar has been done long time ago, that the description “take increased damage” enables CM to proc on CC immune mobs (such as Juggarnauts).

Don’t be confused by the “you hit” … its just a description for mobs to be under CC, source of CC doesn’t matter. CM is a debuff item.