Diablo IV Quarterly Update - Q2 June 2021

As always, thank you for the updates! Next time I would love to hear about the affixes these enemies could have and see the attacks.

PS - seeing some of these brilliant enemy designs makes me even more nervous that the Diabo 3 style enemy affixes will stay in the game, creating tons of bright lightning lasers, walls, fire pools, etc. Seriously, you designed these beautifully dark and detailed enemies that have themes and thought put into them. Please don’t ruin that by strapping them all with random, over the top affixes.
[/quote]

Word! I really agree with you. Really hope they bring this up so they can clerify and hear us out!

4 Likes

Very nice, I will have to really dissect this after work.

That Knight…OhhOhhhhOhhhhh Face

No stupid wings, ugh, nice.

4 Likes

Look at the Light symbol on his armor - that’s the clue.

2 Likes

After reading through what seemed like an apology in advance from the dev team, that made me think they didn’t have confidence in what they were going to show, I have to say there was no reason for the devs to worry.

What an awesome looking game this will be! All of it looked exceptional. I love the character models, the armors, weapons and monsters! A blood mage made from a heart and arteries? Brilliant! And I adore that the big skeleton was so much more than just that!

The visuals are so important for a true diablo game and the art style is definitely going in the right direction, there is no doubt in my mind you are the right guys for the job when it comes to that. But come on, let me get the option to create a real buff feamale barb, like in the “by three they come”-trailer!

With that said, the visuals, art and atmosphere, however tangible and visceral, will not in any way be able to make up for a shallow item or combat system. I look forward to seeing how you will handle those.

Much love and well wishes!

• HammerBear
1 Like

Yeah actually. You need to take in context. The ones in question were using D3 looks better at a way to bash D4. Subjective appeal is not what I’m talking about. But even from a technical standpoint D4 outclasses D3 in every aspect.

1 Like

I love every monster design in this update. The spider zombie is freaking nasty and the succubus and cerberus are so good too!

Shoutout to the animators! You guys are amazing and I can’t wait to see the characters and monsters in action! <3

Edit: Btw is she wearing magefists?
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/page_media/DO192DLK3P1J1624659277589.png

3 Likes

Shoutout to the animators!

I hope they ll make more smooth transition from 1 animation to another, because right now from what ve we seen (not in this report but in gameplay vids) this aspect is mediocre.

I mean, I would of love to see some in-game footage about Skills, Items, etc, but c’mon!

This was about Art and ART they gave. I don’t think i’ve ever seen so much awesomeness in a game before, especially in Art department.

This Blog was mind blowing!

In the end, you raised the bar with this blog Blizzard. So whatever you will show us next, it MUST be at least this good.

You have a long way to …“wake up” the ( Blizzard ) fan in me, but …I promise you, if you keep doing WHAT you know best, then eventually, the fan(s) will be there for you like in the good old days.

9.99/10 for this Blog.

DIABLO IV QUARTERLY UPDATE — JUNE 2021
We hope you like what you see, and please share your comments on your platform of choice. We love to hear community feedback

I have given a lot of feedback in the previous blog posts, but on this one I mostly have to pass, since it is probably not something where my feedback would be useful.

I simply do not like the more (photo-)realistic approach of the artstyle and the very desaturated color scheme, because all of it is simply not my taste. That is all that it boils down to.

Personally, I would prefer an artstyle that is a bit more painterly with medium saturated colors, (like the box cover of Diablo 2 from Brom, or some of the paintings that were inspired by Frank Frazetta’s Death Dealer, or the box cover of Hexen) which, although painterly, still being dark, grim, mature and gothic, while also not having too saturated colors like D3, and also not going too much into the direction of D3’s artstyle.

But I am also not telling you to change something about it. I know that the graphics wont be for me and that is fine. Most other people seem to like the current style of D4 though.

=================================

The armor pieces look really fine.

Definitely an improvement over many of D3’s hyper-stylized and oversized armor looks.

=================================

However, if I can give a suggestion in regards to the ingame visuals, I would say slightly reduce the overall brightness, slightly increase the saturation of colors and reduce the intensity/brightness of the particle effects, as well as reducing the bloom so that it does not look like that the air itself is glowing.

I think that D4’s current ingame graphics make everything look too bleak and too desaturated, with grey and brown being the predominant colors and the rest of the colors being too washed out.

A few examples of what I mean:

(original screenshots at the bottom, modified screenshots at the top with 20% reduced brightness and ~20% increased saturation of colors)

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Maybe you feel similar and the lighting, the brightness, the color scheme, etc will be adjusted in the final product, but this are just my personal feelings about the artstyle.

3 Likes

The art is looking amazing!!! Those sick monsters need to drop cool loot, like gems. I would love to hear more about gems in next quarterly update.

*Blue - Socketing a saphire into the town portal will make it dark blue
*Red - Socketing a ruby into your town portal will make it dark red
*Green - Socketing an emerald into your town portal will make it dark green
*Purple - Socketing an amethyst into your town portal will make it dark purple
*Yellow - Socketing a topaz into your town portal will make it dark yellow
*Orange - Socketing a garnet into your town portal will make it dark orange
*White - Socketing a diamond into your town portal will make it angelic white
*Black - Socketing an onyx into your town portal will make it demonic black
*Grey - Socketing a skull into your town portal will make it grey

2 Likes

…okay.

Game LOOKS amazing.
Bravo.

But mechanically, you got to go far away from D3.

Apart from cooldowns, my last worry is that they’re going to miss the design of damage types, and prostitute the damage types out to all classes with frivilous switching between elements for classes and skills, like D3.

…that killed a major part of what differenciated between classes.
Physical characters had to deal with dodge, block and the rare physical resistance.
You knew that incorporeal undead were going to be either resistant or immune to physical – by the design of the monsters alone.

The same applies to many of the demons and fire resistance, and the abominable snowmen and cold resistance.
Zombies and undead in general and poison resistance.

It meaningfully made playing a sorceress vastly different than a bowazon, despite both being ranged attackers, because they interact differently with different monsters.

That, and how magic users don’t rely on a weapon for dealing damage, but get a amajor boost from them, were two of the class and role defining things Diablo 1 and 2 got right, and Diablo 3 completely failed at.
Those and the lack of cooldowns made Diablo 2 one of the best roleplaying games – not just action game.
Cooldowns and having all sources of magic cost resources that physical attacks don’t rely on defines class skills and separates magic users from physical fighters.

Two different sorceress builds played vastly different because of it.
A Fire + Cold sorceress played different than a Cold + Fire sorceress, and those play different than a Lightning + Cold sorceress.
Fire sorceresses generally have problems with melee attackers.
Cold sorceresses generally have problems with spellcasters.
Lightning sorceresses have problems with stealthy monsters.

Bone necromancer feels completely and utterly different from the Poison Nova necromancer, because they have different monsters that challenge them.

Physical bowazon feels completely different from an amazon that uses the two area of effect elemental arrows.

…balancing the game is as easy as creating a spreadsheet and working out number of hits you want monsters to survive – and giving them health, resistances and damage reductions specifically to create the experience you want.

0 resistances 0 damage reduction makes the monster generic.
Elemental resistance makes the monster hard for elemental magic users, obviously.
Point damage reduction makes a monster hard for fast physical attackers.
Block chance and block rate makes a monster hard for slow physical attackers.

That way, a boss can be tough for a bow user, tough for a rogue that relies of fast attacks, tough for cold and fire users, and less tough for strong melee characters, if it is heavily armored and resists fire and cold.
Similarily, a different boss can have a high chance to block, 75% that is lowered each hit with whatever block rate the monster has, before the chance regenerates.
75%, 50%, 25%, 0% if you attack fast and get blocked.
75%… 65%…55% if you attack slower.
75%… 70%… 75% if you attack slow.

Dodge should work in a similar fashion.
50% chance to dodge and 50% chance to block = 75% chance to not take damage, where the one that kicks in goes into regeneration mode.

…and then there’s the ghost, that hardly takes damage from physical attacks, cannot bleed, and may be heavily resistant to poison and cold.

Diablo 3 tossed all that out of the window, and became and felt like an action game – not an roleplaying game – because of it, simplified back to the point where all enemies are punching bags and elements are meaningless as an ice cream shop selling only one type of vanilla ice cream without real vanilla, but with 10 different food colorings.
Red, blue, violet, green, yellow, grey, white, brown, cyan and orange.
Each damage type should be meaningful in it’s own right.

Cold chills.
Lightning drains mana.
Fire burns.
Poison works over time.
Sharp physical causes bleeding. But not all monsters can bleed.
Blunt physical causes crushing blows that potentially could slow melee attacks instead of reducing max health, and can potentially cause lesser damage through a blocked attack.
Pointy physical pierces armor.
Magic is hardly resisted by anything and can’t be blocked.
Holy blinds demons and undead, and is resisted by natural monsters and possibly the darkest of souls.
Unholy may heal undead, be resisted heavily by demons, but curse natural creatures.

…and that’s why damage types shouldn’t be tossed around to different classes without actual thought – and monsters should have hand-picked resistances and abilities.

You get a guaranteed ten or fifteen game of the year rewards if you balance elements, monster resistances and mechanics good enough to make each class AND MONSTER feel meaningfully different.

It’s all so ‘easy’, makes so much sense – when a fantasy game is built from the ground up properly.

Immunities aren’t necessary – even 50 / 75 / 90% resistances causes meaningfully different experiences, especially if they’re revealed in the lore and monster descriptions.
A fire sorceress that faces a 75% resistant monster or boss is going to feel the heat far more than a sorceress that focuses on cold.

Just please continue to make the game better than D3 – and even try to make it better than D2 in the process.

Like.
A physical warrior surrounded by ghosts is in a helpless life threatening situation.
I experienced that in Diablo 2 just a couple of weeks ago, when my bowazon reached the Flayer Dungeon, and a pack of extra fast ghosts flanked her from a gateway I passed, and drove her deeper into the dungeons because I couldn’t effectively fight them – activating more monsters, causing a real life and death threat as I had to fend off the non-immunes in order to find space to circle back to the entrance.

Incorporeal monsters could be further enhanced to defeat and threaten tanky characters by ignoring armor – except token legendary holy armors specifically created to ward off ghosts – ignoring block chance, except holy shields.

7 Likes

I agree on the elements. I don’t think all classes should be able to dole out all elements well (based on skills). We don’t need the barbarian to have Frenzy, poison frenzy, ice frenzy, fire frenzy. That is boring and dilutes the class identities.

It is not a problem as long as immunities are not in the game. Resistances should be. Immunities should not be.

8 Likes

From what games I’ve played and seen in detail, it outclasses a lot of them!

Well, who says that we are (always) on the side of light?
Maybe we fight for humanity, and not necessarily for the light or the dark.

On a sidenote: that sun symbol reminds me of the symbols that can be seen in Travincal in D2, which was the headquarter for the Church of Zakarum, to which also the Paladin and the Crusader belong to.

also you could have shown us the female druid
this would have been the opportunity

2 Likes

Def a large update, but from my POV, completely useless for things that I care about…

Lets hope the next one will deal with items and skill systems :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh definitely, a middle ground can certainly be found.

I think it was one of your older threads, but plenty of folks (including you and I) have posted ideas on how elite affixes could be catergorized and such, so I won’t go into too much detail here. But I hope that Blizzard could use said ideas as a inspiration when it comes to deciding the elite affixes and which monster type/family would have what. That way when you run into an elite monster, it’ll be the monster that feels like a threat with the elite affixes enhancing that threat; instead of it being the other way around.

4 Likes

Everything looks terrific, there’s plenty of good ideas and hard work.
It really felt like D1 on a matter of demonic obscenities, filth, immoral evil lurking in a foggy nightmare, undead are revulsive and demons (succubus at the very least) look like vicious fiendish creature.
Of course D1 didn’t have that level of details but it felt that a way more than D2 and D3, I think it was mainly due to the lack of technologies, it’s just like doing a comparison between an old black & white horror movie and recent one, the old one definitely have a disturbing depth coming from the old tools used to create the movie.

Character creation and customization, exceed my expectation… I wish I had something else to say.
D4 Art is on its rightful path, thanks to the whole team for their understanding of ‘‘Dark Fantasy’’, Diablo franchise needed it

5 Likes

Polygon has an additional image up on their website featuring a bald rogue.

Sorry can’t link - https:// www. polygon. com / 22557359/diablo-4-art-characters-classes-enemies-monster-design.

It appears to be a different lair image for the rogue.

1 Like