⭐ DIABLO IV - Feedback Collection Thread

Or “Diablo IV - Campaign to recreate Jay Wilson’s Diablo 3” thread.

Wrong. Diablo devs asked for feedback and he is giving his feedback. If they will listen or not, is up to the diablo dev team.

Diablo always sold well. Diablo 1, despite being extremely more expensive than other 90s games on GOG, is the top seller on RPG category. Diablo 3 had good initial sales, but RoS sold poorly and the second expansion got canceled.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought so too! His reasoning is exactly why I believe Diablo 2 stays alive for so long! It’s raw.

1 Like

I don’t know how many times I tried to make a Build that used RimeHeart, just because of its hugh random damage but it never played well, like you said even in my Clan after a week or so we are all saying how bored we have become, so then i may try to get a HC char going but inside a week of that most times I had moved on to something else. That’s why I feel that power creep kills games.

2 Likes

Not re adding the YouTube link from about post 92-93.

Something I really liked is at 12:45 you said maybe what we should be calling it. LATE Game and not END Game it is a small thing and you may have even miss stated it but I think it works better, the Game should not just end, you keep looking for things to do later.

1: Change Legendary’s to Unique’s. Epic’s should be called Ethereal and just a better version of the same base item. Small changes like this will win back so much faith from the Diablo community.

2: Remove durability from all items in the game.

3: Make some of Uniques/Sets of all levels have benefits/abilitys that make them useful no matter the character level. Examples, SOJ gave +1 to all skills @level 29,Chance guards gave up to 40% magic find @level 15. People used them late game even tho it was a low level item. This kind of item design will add to build diversity.

4: Never do something like “Primal items”. Guaranteed perfect rolled items ruins the game very quickly and ruin a games economy.

5: Magic find, make it a randomly rolled stat on Rares/Magic but very worth while for extra drops. If you use Magic find it is a Stat/Damage/Defense compromise.

6: Rare items must have end game potential. This is extremely important, So that items are worth picking up and getting excited for.

7: Random loot, not personalized drops for your character.

8: Private loot and group drops together, first come first serve for group items. Magic find from all in combat with the monster at death effect all group drops.

9: Change leveling system to 1-99. Do not use a paragon system, set a goal of 99 or 100 that is extremely hard to reach but not impossible. Make max level requirement for gear in the 70/80/90 range depending on the item.

10: Do not change the max level with expansions. When you do this all items from the previous max level become irrelevant and lose all value. It makes players feel like the work they did before the expansion is worthless. Make expansions add build/item variety for character diversity.

11: Make gold valuable. Give us a reason late game to not give it away willingly. Example item gambling.

12: No trading limitations except Ethereal versions of items are trade-able once.

13: Sockets for items up-to 6 sockets.

14: Runewords must be more than 2 runes, I suggest a 6 max. Do not let Runewords be applied to Rare/Magic/Unique items.

15: Runes should be rare and powerful, Runewords power should scale with each Runes rarity.

16: Jewels and charms need to return. As well as their recipes in the Horadric Cube.

17: Ethereal items If found as a white item, are usable for runewords.

18: White items that already have a bonus like %Enhanced Defense/%Enhanced Damage/+ to a Skill or Skills should carry over to the Runeword used. Like if I find a 4 socket Ethereal sword with 10% Enhanced Damage. Then socket a Runeword that gives 50% Enhanced Damage, the outcome would be 60% Enhanced Damage as well as the benefit of Ethereal which adds to the base sword’s damage.

19: Horadric cube must return, recipes and all. Remove the Kanis cube, It was pure disappointment.

20: Skill tree points should reward synergy’s, So certain skills buff one another like Diablo II.

21: Increase complexity of Talent system, Use Talents to improve class diversity.

22: Put light radius back in the game, it allows monsters to disappear into darkness adding to the immersion.

23: Increase party size to more than 4. I would suggest 6-8 players.

24: Keep stats(Str,Int,Dex,Vit). Remove the simple Attack/Defense system, That feels like a over simplification of these mechanics.

25: Faster hit recovery %, Faster cast rate %, Damage reduce %, Defense vs missile, Crowd control %. These add to the complexity of combat, which makes Diablo II so great.

26: Add items that have negative aspects but can roll mods that normally don’t roll for that slot. Example circlets from Diablo II have little defense but can roll mods not found on helms(Movement speed %, Attack speed %, + Skills).

27: Remove as many cool-downs on skills as possible, They slow down the game and make a end game character feel weak and sluggish.

28: Remove “Secondary” item mods. Just roll all stats randomly with limitations of which items can roll certain Affix/Suffix. Adding to item diversity and making finding everything you need on gear difficult. This encourages item trading heavily.

29: Do not put All Resist % on most items. Make us find Poison, Fire, Cold, Lighting resist individually on items more often. Keep All Resist % in the game but make it rare and sought after.

30: Hardcore PVP - Permanent death, drop carried Gold/Inventory/Equipped items. Softcore PVP - Drop carried Gold. PVE death 10% xp loss/Gold drop.

31: Hostility button usable anywhere, Add a warning/countdown, Allow loot corpse for hardcore. If you kill someone on Hardcore you get their Items/Gold/Inventory.

32: Potions not on cool-down but replenished quantity with gold. Require no inventory space just stack on bar up-to 100. Add an item mod that replenishes x potions over x amount of time.

33: MTX for Banners/Portraits/Wings/Clan Stash/Clan halls only. Pets and unicorns/rainbows don’t belong in the dark world of sanctuary.

34: Cow level. Make it require a recipe again with the Horadric cube.

35: Make sure White/Magic/Rare/Unique and Ethereal versions of these items don’t rain from the sky off every Unique Monster/Elite/Champion.

36: Make combat hard and engaging, Don’t allow killing the whole screen in one shot. Allowing the combat to require thought and make the player feel accomplished when getting stronger, Because the difference is apparent and felt in combat.

37: Make random affix types effect the color of gear, Example life mod makes them red or all resist purple as in Diablo II.

38: Give each piece of gear 3 different visual appearances, So characters look unique more often.

39: Transmogrify could allow you to switch between the 3 visual types of each item. Allowing customization of character appearance.

I Absolutely feel like Diablo needs to get off the Road to Azeroth its been on since Diablo 3 and get back on the Highway to Hell where Sanctuary belongs!

3 Likes

less cartoon, more immersion:

There is no real point to just giving something another name.

Why? If you want an economy in the game then you need gold sinks, and repairs function as one. Makes you pay at least a small price for being silly and/or going in over your head, as well, without just offing your character like hardcore.

It does not add to build diversity to have low level items take up your slots. There is no real difference between that and what D3 did with max level items.

This is exactly what they should NOT do, as it just leads to players compiling a set of Magic Find and swapping it in and out. That’s not interesting or fun gameplay.

Nope, gimme my personalized items, thanks. Just make good systems where I can find a use for items I already have, like adding stats to the same item or crafting/questing systems where I get something useful out of it.

No, this is an absolutely terrible idea that leads to competition and sniping between group members instead of wanting players to work together. I don’t want rewards to be about who can move their mouse over the loot the fastest. It leads to players not wanting to contribute in fights and instead just wait around to click on the loot.

There is no point to making max level so difficult to reach. Just have an achievement that says “Congrats. You’ve played X hours.”

This happens without max level changes. Just look at D3 - Reaper hasn’t changed the maximum level and yet we’ve had items and builds and progress become completely irrelevant multiple times over the past several years.

I’m not saying they NEED to change max level, just that not doing it doesn’t stop what you’re afraid of.

And sometimes level changes are useful.

Didn’t you ask earlier for the removal of durability, which is one of the ways of doing this?

Hoping for more limitations than that.

This ain’t Path of Exile.

Kanai’s Cube was probably one of the best things that happened - just adding the ability to have those 3 extra affixes active did a hell of a lot for build diversity and effectiveness.

Were some aspects of it not so good? Sure, like Caldesaan’s… just more main stat. But I’d argue that’s more of the game’s failure to make use of other stats.

Nah, screw that. This idea of “immersion” is total nonsense. There’s no real reason for me not to be able to see effectively. We’re not playing a first person survival horror game here.

6 is ideal, I think.

Agreed… I’m hoping they change this or give us methods to add these and/or other statistics to gear so we can basically customize things to an extent.

Cooldowns are fine when done right, but even I think they’re going a little too far in what we’ve seen. Cooldowns should be for powerful situational abilities and/or a way to add cost to something that would otherwise be a little too strong. They should not be on everything. This is why we (should) have multiple resource systems.

I am fine with secondary mods. D3’s problem is that they pared down the stats with Reaper, so it didn’t feel like there was any item diversity.

Or perhaps a better system of categorization would be Offensive/Defensive/Utility. Offensive would be your main stat and things like crit, damage, attack speed, hit %, + skill levels, etc. Defensive would be vitality and things like extra health, resistances, dodge, armor, crit reduction, maybe passive health % activations, etc. Utility would be the resource reduction, gold find, magic find, cooldown reduction (if it exists), specialized cost reductions, movement speed, etc.

No hostile button, thanks. With the way they’re structuring things, you should just be able to log into a world where PvP is either active or not. As for the other PvP things, go nuts.

No exp/gold loss on regular death, thanks.

They should be very careful with allowing potions to be used that way to prevent spamming them as a means of overcoming challenges.

This kind of goes against what you said earlier about the characters feeling slow and sluggish with CDs.

If you make it so that, at their most powerful, characters still need to 1v1 or slowly whittle away at groups, then your characters are always going to feel slow and sluggish in combat.

we’re talking about the DIABLO PC franchise;
-an unique niche in the game world, slowly gliding off from serious ‘devil vs heaven’ to an average action grinding market.

2 Likes

I read your arguments, It sounds like you want a VERY easy game. I want a game where you can’t just brute force it because death has zero penalty. I want a brutal challenge that isn’t smashed in 15 hours easily because personalized loot, Which ruins trading and leads to crap like what we saw in Diablo 3 with primal items which make trading irrelevant. Thanks for the reply.

3 Likes

You can have a systme where potions heal over time like blue/red potions D2, takes an animation to drink like DkS, have a metabolism bar who slowly regens and mana drain your metabolism and deal no effect if your body can’t absorb the mana,

Diablo 1 was the best in therms of imersion. Despite the dated graphcis. Why? Maybe because the game mechanics. Immersion is important in any RPG/ARPG/etc.

A system where you can gamble for items with gold, purchase skins with gold, etc.

IMO is simple.
You picked a item from another class - Free trade of bind on trade
You picked a item from your class - Bind on pickup if the item is too powerful.

There are. LEvel of your character measures his progression as a character. Level cap should means “nothing more to improve” or something similar.

Because adds one more layer of depth. For eg, on Dark Souls 2, third dragon ring is a amazing ring with low durability. People who depend upon that item to use their heavy armor effectively suffer when the item is (easily) destroyer.

1 Like

10 things to make D4 epic:

1. Any gear for any class. I want a Melee Sorceress. I want an Archer Barbarian. I want to sword and board if I feel the need.

2. Lower the numbers. If any weapon does more than 1000 damage, the numbers become meaningless. Same with armor and defense. A good model for damage is using actual dice. ie., Fireball: 6d6 (6-36) damage.

3. Put the level cap at 99 and nearly impossible to achieve. Paragon levels are kinda cool, but infinite scaling breaks the game.

4. All items should have worth. Maybe superior white items can be crafted into superior magic/rare items? Magic items should have higher rolls than rares.

5. Identify. When I have to identify magics, everything is filled with possibility and I become engaged… all magic items become more interesting.

6. Town Portal scrolls. Scrolls make things interesting. Heck, why not Firebolt scrolls that anyone can use, like in Diablo1? …or Tomes that teach spells to any characters (also like in Diablo1). Make us earn and LEARN the Town Portal spell!!! O_O

7. Gold should be rare, and crafting should be expensive. Shops should only have crafting reagents and the like… I feel like buying weapons and armor from the shops breaks my experience, personally. Normal smiths and vendors shouldn’t have ready access to magic items in a scary world.

8. We need light radius again. Light is a precious resource. When you don’t have it, the world is more dangerous…

9. I want to use ANY item with ANY character. This is important, so I’m saying it again.

10. The devs really should play some Diablo2:LOD for further ideas… I think they should have fun making D4, and Diablo2 is the greatest game ever made, in my opinion… period.

4 Likes

Okay, I have a number 11: There should be enemies that CANNOT be defeated with certain builds. Cold Immune. Fire Immune. Lightning Immune. Poison Immune. Physical Immune. etc… there is nothing scarier than something you can’t hurt or barely scratch… I wanna run for my life on occasion. 3:D

3 Likes

1] Balance the game with PvP in mind. I think you already are, but it helps with a couple of things. One being a ridiculously obnoxious power creep design and Diablo PvP was fun. It needs to come back. Even though it’s very WoW-esque, I do think a good idea for D4 could be an arena system of 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc. You could have aesthetic rewards for placements.

2] Do not allow a character to max out all skills in the class. One huge problem with D3 was it’s lack of character uniqueness. Allowing this just brings back that issue. On top of that, make the talent and skill trees very extensive. Not a free-roaming mess that is PoE, but give lots of options.

3] Bring back charms, but your character has a bag that carries X amount of charms. Anything in your inventory outside of that bag would not take effect. This gives characters more customization without the D2 issue of charms clogging inventory.

4] Don’t make a “mainstat”. Power should come inherently from the skills you take as you level up and a secondary augment from the items you wear.

5] Don’t simplify stats, especially for items. IAS, FCR, FHR, CR, CD, armor piercing, dodge, armor, resists, attack rating, life/mana drain, damage, various elemental damages and effects, etc, etc. A decent amount of complexity adds to character customization. I’m not totally opposed to magic find, but perhaps have it on charms? I just think that it’s a waste of a stat, when everyone can just have the same fair drop rates.

6] It seems to already be done, but keep a light radius/darkness ambience. It was awesome in D1/2 to run across a doorway and see an army of minions behind that you had no idea that was there.

7] Runewords seem to be based on an activation design. While that’s okay, we also need runewords that add basic, permanent boosts.

8] Have an EXTENSIVE list of unique/legend/set items that augment every single skill for each character. I cannot stress enough about character customization and progression. If an advanced player has a very particular build in mind, it should be able to come to fruition.

9] Trading enabled, no gear binding at first. Gear becomes bound upon trading, so it prevents people profiting from scams. Absolutely NO centralized trading system. Peer to peer, in-game only, old school style. A centralized system just devalues everything and makes everything accessible to everyone. The game becomes what D3 originally did, a game hunting for items to sell as opposed for items to wear.

10] Potions, spammable. Basics heal over time and there are rare potions that heal immediately and/or give other bonuses.

11] Gold is a real and valuable resource. Not something where you reach max level and amass millions upon millions of gold running X dungeon. Think Dungeons and Dragons, economically. Give gold a real purpose with crafting, gambling, etc.

12] Don’t make a paragon system. I’ll be honest, a character should not have a limitless way to become more powerful. They should reach max level and then your gear choices finish the rest. When you reach a certain point, as with any other Diablo game, you want to create a new character. That is why the amount of customization is so important and giving a single character all skills such a bad idea.

13] Personalized drops and linking items. I know some people don’t like personalized drops, but it just cleans up drama and doesn’t make the end of fights a clickfest for items on the ground to grab everything before someone else does.

There are lots of content type things I could go on and on about but this is mostly just the design part of the game. There’s one constant to my input, CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION AND OPTIONS. I cannot stress this enough. Diablo was about creating a badass, unique character that crushes enemies and finds loot. Not creating a “Barbarian” just like everyone else has.

1 Like

A general feedback on engaging encounters with monsters:

Make the monsters deal real damage and feel threatening. Players should be put in situations where they have to play defensive as much as playing offensive.

In D3, you could roll through mobs without much worry of dying or getting close to death. This is also an issue we see in PoE where we see big mobs that can simply be mowed down easily with right items and builds. Also you shouldn’t be able to stand in a middle of a large mob just clicking away while not taking meaningful damage. That’s just ends up being braindead gameplay. And while I can agree that there definitely is a satisfying feeling to be able to completely cut through mobs, it gets old.

Lets compare this to d2, which i think gets this right. While D2 doesn’t have large mobs like in d3 or PoE, the monsters are far more engaging to fight because they feel like a threat. The encounter in d2 is about engaging, disengaging and reengaging making the fight feel alot more dynamic then simply jumping into a large mob and bursting all your skills to kill off the entire screen. While the fight is going to be alot slower than what we see in d3, it’s becomes a more meaningful and much more fun way to play.

1 Like

im not sure about spamable potion system tho
its a kinda mess in D2 where you eighter have to town all 20 seconds, or the floor is full of potions because you cant pick up more and your inventory is stuck
i like the flask system from PoE etc.
give the player certain conditions to refill them like dropped charges from monsters, visiting a vendor in town and PAY for it, shrines on the map, etc.

1 Like

If D4 will not have immune mounsters like in D2 we will have another dumb dps pimping game.
Immunities in D2 forced you optimize builds and not rollfacing all. Thats huge element of builds strategy somehow was throught out in D3
Imho. And runewords will not help here. They are secondary.

1 Like

Not a rehash of D2 but take the good stuff I’m ok with that.
Yes if an armorer has magic items why is he standing around and not defending the place.
If they let us change the light radius make it small amounts and not like movement speed say .2 per point it is a dark world after all, and on that in same cases lower the radius add a fear meter or something.
Within reason any weapon, a great axe on a caster I don’t know it just seams wrong.

1 Like

Maybe a bit more RPGish but make it so it costs you Gold when you level or if not that then when you get new skills and talents,
when after that it is click and adjust.

Uhh… vex hel el eld zod eth…

Yeah, don’t give feedback and try to help understand why making the same mistakes that D3 did is a bad idea, just consume product and get excited for next products you entitled gamer incels!