⭐ DIABLO IV - Feedback Collection Thread

Not at all. The video I posted provides a great analysis of the demo and also contrasts the demo and Blizzard comments with other modern arpgs from a perspective of making it the best game possible.

1 Like

@SuperduperJW

Video added to the list! :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Fine and dandy, but the OP is a well-known biased poster who wants nothing more than a game that mimics D2 as closely as possible.

1 Like

This is just plane false, D2 is soon 20 years old, it’s one of my favourite games of all time but it’s certainly not perfect. I want them to look at every ARPG out there and try to pick the good stuff from each one of them (like for example the skill customizing system from last epoch) and also think up some new stuff for themselves as well.

With that mentality maybe it’s better if you leave and create your own thread about how you want them to replicate D3 and leave us alone?

6 Likes

Dark and gritty is fine, but don’t make it actually physically dark if you can help it.

I hate those rifts that are so dark you can’t see anything.

Long post alert:
It seems that most of the responses I’ve read in other post are about graphics. I’m more concerned with content and maintaining the interest of players after the core campaign. After the cinematics and demo, I have no doubt that the devs will master the graphics and gameplay aspects. They have the dark and gritty game concepts in mind. Just please take your time, stick to the lore and don’t make the villains corny or annoyingly chatty (Azmodan).

I haven’t been around forever but some of the largest complaints I’ve heard for the last few years concerning d3 are:

1. Non-stop GR grinding and lack of end game content.
  2. Limited flexibility with build options (set pieces strongly influencing builds)
    I think this will always be an issue with any gear that enhances specific skills or attacks (especially set pieces).
  3. Leveling 0-70 in 2 hours
  4. Gearing up in a few hours after the start of a season and then having the rest of the season to just grind GRs
  5. Excessive amounts of loot that ruin the excitement and contribute to large amounts of useless materials
  6. Useless blue/yellow equipment
  7. Large amounts of useless gold and crafting mats

If you think about it, it’s pretty clear that power creep is the primary issue behind issues 3-7. To me, avoiding power creep to me should be a major focus of d4 endgame.

My hopes for d4:

1.Varied Endgame:
Like quin69 said, “You can’t have too much end game content!”.

You have to have a variety of challenging objectives to complete with valuable rewards. Ex: dungeon crawling, reasons to go search areas, battling special bosses, special events, searching for pets or in game transmogs/cosmetics, completing things similar to the seasons journey in d3 and conquest that are actually worth your time and effort. Most casual players don’t care about leader boards and likely never will. I even enjoyed the bounty quests and mini stories in d3 for awhile. Unfortunately they just weren’t rewarding enough to complete because of the nature of the end game so no one wanted to do them.

If I don’t have to complete the conquest or other objectives for pets, wings or cosmetics, then I usually quit the season in 2-4 weeks. Regardless of how much I bash set pieces, I really enjoyed the set dungeons and trying to get the wings for completing them all.

GR should not be the best way to get in game rewards. That should be more of a leader board (hey look what I did) situation. Rewards in general should mostly be gold, potions, hard to find crafting mats, weapons, things to access other dungeons and such. These things should be hard to come by and very valuable.

2.Gear
NO SET PIECES PLEASE!! I like the idea of limiting gear to standard, magic, rare and legendaries. Set pieces will just eventually turn into what they are currently in d3. Time and expansions will only make the situation worse. Worst case senario we have set pieces with 2-4 pieces that do things like (increase magic find, increase deaths breaths or other things, etc.).

I honestly don’t even like the idea of gear making any specific skill more powerful. I think this is the primary reason for power creep! (Hence the largest issue behind problems 3-7).
I also like the idea of using any item I want to use with my character. Obviously some classes excel with certain gear and may not even be able to use some gear. Maybe weapons and gear can have different affixes besides a specific skill improvement?

For example:
2 hand axes/maces/polearms, bows, etc: Highest damage, highest critical hit damage, significantly slower attack speed, etc.

1 hand swords/etc: Faster attack, more area damage, inflicting bleed, dodge increase, etc.

1 hand axes/maces/etc.: Better for stunning enemies, crowd control, slower than swords but faster than 2 hand weapons, higher crit than other 1 hand weapons but less than 2 hand, etc.

Daggers/fist weapons/etc: Fastest attack speed, inflicting bleed, highest dodge increase, movement speed?, etc.

Wands/staffs/etc: Crowd control, increase spell duration, cast speed, magic resource generation?

Shields: Obviously defensive attributes, blocking, control resistance, etc.

I could go on and on but I will stop there.

All levels of gear should have the same max stats that way even rare items are still valuable but you can just add another affix for each upgraded class of gear similar to d3.

3.Leveling and Paragon
There should be a max level and this should not increase much even with expansions (remember power creep = bad). I don’t like paragon, especially endless paragon. Maybe after you reach max level, then your additional progress goes toward your skill tree development to a certain degree? Your overall success should be based on your ability to combine skills, runes and gear vs just continually stacking main stat.

4.Skills and Skill Trees
You shouldn’t be able to have all skills maxed out. You should get a certain amount of skill points to allocate (anywhere you would like). I’m not a huge fan of not being able to change my allocation easily but I’m ok with whatever. I’m more of a casual player and enjoy experimenting with builds without having to start a new character each time.
Like mentioned in several of the videos, I like the direction of the skill tree but it should be more open to individualization (not so linear).

5.Crafting/ Trading
I honestly like the idea of really expanding on trading and crafting. This provides more endgame activities for people and a use for those resources that we need to use.
I know in theory you don’t want people crafting their way through the game but couldn’t you just make it to where someone has to go get a series of recipes from harder to reach places? If resources are hard enough to get, that should prevent people just trading for what they need at the start.
Trading should have some limitations but not so much that its pointless to trade. You should be able to trade almost everything at least once except cosmetics, pets, etc.

6.World Bosses
I really like the idea but there should be a very limited amount of people who can participate. To me a party of 4 is fun but still feels like diablo (desperate fight for survival). A party of 8 people just feels like a bully beat down regardless of how hard the boss is. It may be difficult but please do not have them provide ridiculous rewards while keeping them valuable enough to kill.

7.PVP
I don’t really get the point of having it in diablo but some people are excited about it. Do you just kill someone and take their loot? I’ve seen suggestions elsewhere about mini games or competitions but I find that silly. Some people are crying for things to be more “diablo” yet want to play capture the flag?

8.Cosmetics and Transmogs
YES!! Just please keep them gritty and gory. Preferably no rainbows and sparkles.

If you made it this far thanks for your time! I hope there aren’t too many typos and confusing points.

11 Likes

Us? I’m on your side. I want the devs drawing from as many places as possible, and putting together the best ARPG they can.

The mistake is in believing TopC wants what you want. He doesn’t. Are you reading what he’s writing?

Do you believe this, Ziljon? That one must have dumped years of their lives into D2 to have any idea what to do with D4? It doesn’t seem like you do, judging by what you responded to me. So why are you okay with him saying it?

And no, I’m not going to just leave a thread like this to itself. Sorry.

1 Like

About light radius.

In dungeons, in sewers, underground, etc. that’s great. Keep it small, like, torch-radius small. In town, if there are any “dungeons” above ground, we don’t necessarily need it. Keep it dark and gritty, but don’t make it dark everywhere, necessarily, for the sake of making it dark. Light radius SHOULD mean something, where it is appropriate.

7 Likes

Well in regards to his post I don’t believe that you need to meet a threshold in D2 playtime to be able to design a good system. But I would agree with him that after seeing what they’ve made so far in the demo I am worried about their understanding of what made D2 good. They have said them self that they want to go back to the roots of the series and that D2 is one of their biggest inspirations. But after seeing the demo it seems like that inspiration is limited to the look and atmosphere. Not that I’m complaining about that but after seeing the itemization and other game systems I got seriously worried and it seems they haven’t learned anything from D3’s failed itemization.

If you got beef with this guy take it in pm or something as what he pretty much is doing here is just compiling feedback from others and you’re just derailing the thread. I realized that I’m engaging in this myself by answering to you which is something I actually regret as this is not productive at all. Me replying to you and debating weather this guy is a D2 fanboy wont help getting feedback to the devs.

2 Likes

Another game in the same franchise. Not simply ‘another’.

I agree with this to help develop the atmosphere. And I think difficulty of the content could help as well to prevent people from simply rushing through it with full area visibility.

1 Like

Personally, from what I saw on the Blizzcon demos, mana on a sorceress is a mess. It’s D2 all over again. Cast four spells and your out of mana. D3 really did this well, Arcane power was intuitive, limited but not too limited, could be increased with items but it wasn’t mandatory. I was hoping I’d see that again.

Death to stamina and Light radius as item affixes. They can just make it so doors and corners in dungeons block sight. That’s what people are really looking for. Not the stat, the surprise and suspense of unexpected danger.

I mean, increasing difficulty modes could decrease light radius if it has to stay in, as long as it's not a wasted stat roll on gear. Or maybe every legendary adds one light radius so as you gear up you gradually become more powerful. Or both A and B. Not mutually exclusive.

The boutnies were also too long. If it was a single quest/mision, something like complete a full dungeon or kill a world boss. This could make them interesting and also leave enough time to do other things.

Also, the GR don’t need to be a bad thing, if the character’s power doesn’t keep going up. What i mean is, you have x amount of power and see how far you can go but don’t give us more power to reach higher levels.

I would do same base attack/ defense for all the tiers of items of a specific level. And don’t make a big difference between different levels, make them overlap. I saw an item with 90 attack and the mythical had like 6000, that is a too big difference.

Keep attack only for weapons and defense only for armors. Amulets and rings should have none of those, they can give them a different stat. (They could make an experiment of add some defense or block to some weapons, like sword, but less attack, and other weapons like axe could have more attack but no defense or block).

As for the item’s affixes: blues should have higher values than rare and legendary but less affixes, rare should have the same amount of affixes than legendary, but legendary would have a legendary affix.

For what i undestand we will be able to level the skills with books like in D1. I would also like to have a secondary set of skills (maybe shared between classes) that can be unlocked only with very rare books. This could add some customization and uniqueness to the characters.

2 Likes

I think the radius could lower the deeper you go inside a dungeon.

When he’s curating feedback to meet his nebulous criteria, then you’re going to have a problem. While more limited with the recent forum move, I’d otherwise encourage you to poke through his post history to find instances of him crapping on casuals and being what Orrion was warning others of. Of course, the crux of it is he’s thought he’s a better Diablo dev than the actual devs for over half a decade now. Which goes back to the point that if he and his ilk are so awesome, put up the effort and go make that blockbuster game and prove the haters wrong and not just armchair dev a frequent, glaring disconnect from reality and then throw a pity party when he doesn’t get it.

1 Like

Jesus Christ. How is this any constructive? As I said, if you have a problem with the OP guy then take it in PMs or create a new feedback thread and stop hijacking this one with irrelevant posts. All he’s doing here is compiling feedback videos which is a good thing. Maybe, just maybe look beyond your own bias and accept that someone u don’t like can still do something good?

4 Likes

The last bit is brutal!

2 Likes

Maybe they were long but speed shouldn’t be the primary goal. Sure I don’t want it to take an hour to do a bounty but most of d3 now is rush through as fast as you can. Rifts and GR now are just a race. That is one of the larger problems with d3 imo.

I didn’t say they were bad, just that they shouldn’t be the best way to get rewards. It should just be a leaderboard or status that hardcore players can achieve to showcase their dedication and skill.

I never played d1 but that sounds interesting too. That would provide another reason to go out and kill monsters and hunt loot. I was just suggesting skill tree development after hitting max level over endless paragon farming.

1 Like

This thread needs to be pinned at the top of the forum

also it needs to the first search result on google for any term.

4 Likes

eh. I feel like this is taking complicated gameplay and simplifying it too much. It makes sense for world bosses as usually cc doesn’t even work on them.

As for ruining pvp. It doesn’t. pvp tourneys will have specific rules where all gear/skills will be inspected as usual. And things like dodge and block only adds to the pvp experience not retract from it.

1 Like