⭐ DIABLO IV - Feedback Collection Thread

I like what you’re saying here. Lets go a little deeper on the Deckard Cain writings and discoveries of demons.

When Leah was betrayed and killed what did happen to Deckard Cain’s books/tomes? I know Leah was using them to study the evils and figure out where Azmodan was going to start his attack on Sanctuary. So from what I know, I might have missed something, Deckard Cain’s tomes are lost? Kept by someone else? Maybe Tyreal kept some of the tomes? I don’t know why Tyreal knows quite a bit since he’s been fighting hell for a long time…anyways.

In D4 lets say we stumble across one of Deckard Cain’s many books, scrolls or tomes. As we pick it up it goes into a separate tab, a lore tab if you will. As we find more through exploring, talking to towns people, quests, finishing dungeons etc. They go into this lore tab. Deckard wrote much of these to help fight hell’s minions, and I believe he wrote some on angels or found other ancient texts talking about angels and about other Nephalem.

Which going back to skills in my previous, post talking about Andariel’s poison nova, if we pick up a tome talking about Andariel’s abilities, this would make sense we could use this knowledge to our advantage, unlocking her ability. Eh?

If we have a skill and click on it and it opens a separate ability tree or what have you (Diablo lore chart, Nephalem tree, insert cool name) Andariel’s ability will be open to us to use on that certain skill it works with.

Another example:
You find a tome and it’s all about Azmodan. You read it and it unlocks more abilities lets say to all AOE (area of effect) spells. So now when you click on your meteor, whirl wind, or tornado skill, it opens up this new chart and you go to down to Azmodan and it says “All AOE spells leave behind a dark pool that deals x amount of damage for x seconds.” You decide I like this and equip it to said AOE skill. Now whenever you use it, the spell leaves behind that dark pool of Azmodan’s…poo.

Another example:
You find a tomb talking about Deckard Cain himself asking you to stay awhile a listen. You click on one of your buffing skills: auras, shouts, ice armor, tree skin etc and you see Deckard Cain over on the right on the Nephalem side of the chart and it states “All support skills gain increased mana, fury, spirit regen of x per second.” You like that and you put that on one of your support skills.

There’s so many different ways to do this. But I do like using Deckard Cain’s writings to unlock abilities. I believe it makes sense.

Where would these tomes, scrolls or books drop? Would they be trade able? Am I digging too deep here? Instead of a chart with all three of the different domains, Heaven, Hell and Nephalem. Maybe just have a page for each? Separate them? Turn to Hell’s page and you can see all of the abilities and lore for each demon, creature of Hell you’ve unlocked and haven’t unlocked? On the page maybe just right click on the ability and it’ll show all the skills it can be attached to? Only one ability per skill?

Going back to what you said ShoRim, what about being able to go back to certain areas in Diablo we haven’t been able to visit? For example areas in D1 and D2. D4 is going to bring almost the entire world of Diablo to life, it would be neat to visit old places and find lost tomes of Deckard Cain. This also leaves room for expansion opening new areas, new lore and new ablilities. And we stay in touch with Deckard Cain…for as long as his writings live on…he’ll never be gone.

Thank you for your time.

6 Likes

This is great. This is basically how d1 worked. One way to unlock spells in d1 was to find tomes. It would be really cool to bring this back as a means to upgrade your skills/spells.

D3 tomes basically unlocked legendarys that served no purpose other than cosmetic. Although cosmetic grinding is interesting to me, i do like your idea as it could unlock higher tiers of skills earlier on.

Giving players lots of different pathways to build their character will keep ppl invested in the game. Not to mention lots of players like to shake things up now and then. So i like the finding of these as an rng element

3 Likes

I would like to know what happen to the characters (player characters but also other NPCs) of the previous games. Maybe when we visit the places they use to be, we can find other NPCs that talk about them, or tomes/scrolls, or any other reference, like a tumbstone or something (but it would be nice if it was in the area they were and not in a random place, unless it has a story about how they got there).

Another thing would be to build old places. And they could even create some kind of rift (like the darkening of tristram event) that allow us to play a part of the old games. It could be done with key dungeons or something like that.

3 Likes

Personally, I would like to see return of the corpse mechanic from D2.

In all acts, except 4, there were enemies with reviving abilities. Depending on your play style, it often added a new depth to the game. In order to not be overrun or backstabbed, corpse removal was a thing, either by destructive skill or ice element. All in order to deny enemies assets.

Amazon and Sorc were the only chars I didn’t played as, but five out of seven classes, could utilize enemies corpses. Paladin and Druid regained health and mana from them. Druid could additionaly buff his wolves with them. Assasin and Necro weaponized them in various ways. Even Barb could search corpses for potions and more loot. And in Assasin and Necro’s case, the type of corpse was important as well.

D3 completly removed that. There are some strange meat packages that Necro uses there, but they are all the same. What’s more, I tried detonating one of the packages left by the fallen, and shaman revived them anyway, so it doesn’t work as resource denial either. It’s just bland.

1 Like

It sounds even better as it gets fleshed out, but to stop it being to powerful and to have you in a loot hunt that lasts longer I think making it for 1 spell/skill at a time prevents itt giving too much to soon. and in the Nephalem tree as you put it can also have many chapters with pages on the different monster families.
Things that we learn as we level on the lower creatures and as we grow we find out more, this part would just come from the interaction we have with them, if you kill them fast you may not see some of what they are capable of. The completionist in me is coming out or is that just OCD. lol.

So as I see it at this point the Tomes of Deckard Cain can have a Bestuary as well as Hell/Demonic, Heaven/Angelic and Sanctuary/Ancestral Powers, the Learnings of skills, unlocked Plans a World Map as seen by the character using it Fog of War type of thing and whatever else the Devs see fit to put here.

It would have to be done in a way that if people don’t want to sit and read the full text still unlock whatever is found, maybe at the end of a dungeon or zone the Tomes of Deckard Cain Icon at the bottom of the screen changes color, showing you that new information is there.
There are already narrations on things in D3 they can be used as a base of the needed text, no need to voice act them unless there is high demand form the community.

It can even be a story told in Pub that leads you on a Quest, so many options to build the story from and as stated bring back things from the rest of the Diablo Universe D1, D2 and D3. just not Whimsydale and the like.

I think it comes down to a LAG issue, too many corpses is just another thing to manage. Same as in Looter Shooters when bullet marks on walls fade, mostly a number thing I could be wrong.

3 Likes
1 Like

My thoughts on the super unique/world bosses of the demo and dancing the fine line of believable fantasy:

That would be great, i loved the Greater Mummy from D2. I think that mob would fit great with the monster families: buffing and supporting the others like they did in D2.

I just had the idea of, what if the enemies (or at least some) had something like the powers they talk about. That made me remember D&D with the caothic, neutral, lawful thing.

Monsers that have a caothic aligment, could work better alone and be very strong. While the lawful ones could work better in teams, buffing each other: maybe we could find monsters that move in formations and buff each other, with generals that support from behind.

1 Like

My biggest issue with D3 was how weapons are only a placeholder for stats. Finding a great sword for my witchdocter, and having it throw frogs or use a blow dart despite having the sword equipped, seemed silly. What’s the point of a weapon if your character literally doesn’t use it?

5 Likes

100% agree :smiley:
I hated that in D3
Monk with dual wielding? -> spins around a magically summoned pole
Monk with a dai bo? -> fights with fists

Sorc with a huge burning staff, casts her spells with her hands, the staff on her back

That kills immersion the most, for me

But i think, they are heading in the right direction with the arsenal system, allowing the barb only to use certain skills with a realistic fitting weapon

3 Likes

Discussion between Noxious and LLama

Dev’s should def give this a listen maybe at 1.25-1.5 times speed

9 Likes

aaah those 2 men of culture <3
can they just create a game on their own <3

4 Likes

I have updated the first post with relevant videos.

Sorry guys, D3 season 19 was over for me around 18 hours after season start. I got fully geared in 10h, went to Paragon 800 and finished the whole journey in 16-18h total and got bored out of my mind. That’s why I haven’t checked D3 forums in a while.

I was busy with D2 Ladder reset for the whole week grinding those fine Runes for Enigma, Hoto and Fortitude for Waheed, my loyal mercenary!

Now since Friday, I am busy with POE Metamorph League rocking my SpinToWin Cyclone slayer to level 100 :smiley:

I will check into the forum once a week to update the list with new videos that might pop up.

Cu in the next D3 Season in 3 months for another round of <24h of gameplay ^^

2 Likes

Thx for screwing my day lol :smiley:

What? :smiley:
This is serious fanservice <3

1 Like

27:30 - my same feelings about D3

46:45 - exactly, the game needs tiny details in the game that in the end deliver the art of the game - such as elements of trap sounds before hand, with reactions, reflexes, riddles, different and interesting types of sounds of items dropping into the floor, interesting and memorable monster sounds and voices, different sounds of finishing and getting a unique reward for your character build on the leveling stages once you finish your quest for example.
Same with immersion about inventory tetris - relation of size of items.

55:20 - Tier of items to upgrade any kind of item (white,magic,rare,unique) to a higher tier of the same item/design with better base stats.

57:00 - items dropped identified - totally kills the excitement when you are watching that the item is unindentified but there are great chances of rolling a great item out of it and reading a for example funny name out of it instead of reading straight when dropped with a fix name on it. You can also trade unidentified items.

1:02:40 - no max levels for every skill - this build character identity

1:12:30 - totally agreed on removing crit multiplier and massive stat gain

1:13:30 - multiple Breakpoints, a very nice suggestion

1:15:00 - sacrifice affixes for breakpoints, or sacrifice breakpoints for affixes

1:26:45 - White/Grey socketable items as viable items - I really hope blizzard comes with a good plan on how to use white items as viable item instead of magic, rare or legendaries, be it through crafting or some similar way but not salvaging and using only as ingredient materials.
One solution would be increasing the number of different socket types and quantity of sockets and not just condition/effect runes as socketable items.

1:32:28 - memorable stories/moments - totally agree items in D3 seem dull and limited about what you can do with them once you get them, same with boss fights or quests.

7 Likes

I had a different idea and here it is (copy-pasted from the video :P)

1:27:00 -

think the way with white items is best tailored toward your own playing experience… Let them be levelable up to X affixes based upon your playstyle… They wouldn’t have anything outside of +x type of damage or +x to certain skill, BUT they’d probably get “adapted” best toward your own playstyle.

Say you physically kill 200 mobs of certain type and your white item gets a +75% damage to that type of monsters, say demons (or undead, or whatever else there would be), same could be done with castable spells… You killed 500 mobs with Firewall ? - congrats, your “white” item now gives you a +1 to Firewall

And yes, cap each white item to like 4-5 “slots” so most of the times people would get like “+4 to glacial spike, +75% damage to demons”, or if barb fighting melee more often the “latest affixes” of a white item could be like +75% to demons, +150% damage to undead, +1 to upheaval And so on and so forth

There would be a “tree” of which would be “more likely” to level up first, but yes, make white items “level up” based upon your own playstyle… At the end (after completing all the 4 or 5 or whatever “dynamic affixes” you could level) you’d get an item that’s certainly NOT the best, doesn’t give ANY stats outside of what you “earned” but what you earned kinda would still matter overall

2 Likes

I like the idea but not the values I’m one for trying to keep the numbers as low as possible on release to stop as much power creep as we can.
I know what I put here is nothing without context but if a base skill is doing say 15-25 damage as you level it instead of adding + % maybe just a +5 or lower per level to what ever that skill level max is, and if we are going to keep adding above the max level the it’s +4, +3, +2, +1, +.5 and lastly +.25 so we dont get number bloat.
So after 10 level ups for the item it nets you a total of +16.5 damage to the 15-25 base of that skill.
This still gives you a reason to keep using that item.
And we replace Item with the correct weapon type or what ever that makes seance, Gloves if its adding to attack/cast speed and so on.
It maybe to high even with my thinking, if its added to too many items that are buffing the same skill somehow.
I’m no Math Wizard.

1 Like

thats sounds kinda like the badass point system from borderlands :smiley:
its a good idea for endgame system

1 Like

Here is my take on a crafting system for D4 as well as how I think its implementation can help D2 and D3 fans find common ground and move forward.

1 Like