Diablo IV - Expansion Pack

People probably taking it out of context. When I heard them say it, I think they meant in the form of microtransactions.

I mean because if one was to take it literally, even selling the base game is selling power. The only way to avoid it is to make the game free to play and sell only cosmetics.

2 Likes

A voice of reason in a sea of madness.

Blizzazrds Diablo expansion packs already do what you suggested:

Diablo --> Hellfire (Added Monk class and more)
Diablo 2 --> Lords of Destruction (Added Druid/Assassin + Runewords + more)
Diablo 3 --> Reaper of Souls (Added Necro + more)

So … not really sure what you want above and beyond what Blizz already do.

1 Like

Well, if you don’t have the game, you don’t have to compete with other players.

I am not against adding more power to the game, but I am afraid that if there is a power difference between those who have the expansion and those who don’t (especially in a game with PVP elements) the community will be divided. Instead of everyone being able to share the entire game(being an MMO lite) players will separated. If I have an expansion, and my friend doesn’t, I would still want to play with him/her outside of the expansion without having a visible advantage.

I agree, but the key to balance is the new character is not the best at everything. He may be a great counter to this older class or old boss but he’s not that great against this or that. When the necromancer came to D3, it instantly shattered the highest GR clear records(season 10 highest clear GR107, Season 11 necro release, GR116) and had the fastest speed farming build. Sure they wanted you to be able to feel powerful and in Solo LB that was fine but when a 2-4 man group is climbing higher in the LB than anyone else because they have a Necro in their line up, it seems unfair. Because of this people felt forced to either buy the Necro pack or find some one who has bought it. If they didn’t then they didn’t have a chance in competing in the leader boards and there point didn’t have any reason to play that season.

I said nothing of the sort and I have never been a fan of Paragons and I could handle the max level staying at 60
You are the one that said

So tell me buying an expansion that ups your level and gives you more powerful items, How is that not selling power
Like I said going from 60-70 is giving you more stats to give you more power and xtra more powerful equipment gives you more power
We used to have just legendaries and now we have ancients, which is a legendary with higher rolls than normal legendaries and primals are maxed stats ancients, but you keep telling yourself that a legendary with a main stat of 500, or whatever the max number is for that stat at that level is identical to an ancient that has a main stat of 1000, which an ordinary legendary can’t get to

So which is it Eienstein in one sentence you say expansions are selling power and in another you say they don’t

I was reading all the posts looking for a statement like this, and yes if we get a new level cap then almost everything before that may as well be dust as it has been in WoW for years. Does anyone raid in Molten Core now, The new - re release of WoW not included.

This leads to Power Creep items are just reworked to be more powerful to do the new level cap, or at worst become vendor trash and mats, never a good option.
I would hate to have worked on something for years only to have it become trash the very first time an expansion pack comes out

I have bought the Collector’s edition and all expansion packs for D3 mostly as they made it a bit better or fixed lots of things and to be brutally honest there was not that much competition around at the time.
And yes I have Grim Dawn with some of its expansions, as well as Wolcen before it changed names, had it for near three years, Oh I nearly forgot I play PoE when I’m bored with D3.

Neat job taking things out of context. One quote is saying that expansions are not pay to win MTX, the other is saying that its impossible to launch an expansion pack that doesn’t effect power in the game.

Because its an expansion pack, not a pay to win MTX. You aren’t buying an ancient item. You aren’t buying a new level. You aren’t buying new talents. You’re buying the next chapter of the game, that gives you the opportunity to earn those things. Just because you paid 60 bucks a year ago doesn’t mean the game cant move on, that its frozen in place for King Steve, the penniless. Expansion packs have been normal and part of gaming for over 20 years, and now suddenly they are pay to win? If you don’t want to buy the next chapter, fine, sit at the previous level. You have lost nothing, and you have opted out of acquiring a anything new. That was your choice. Get over yourself.

LoD added zero levels to the game, but if you didn’t buy it, you couldn’t play new classes, go to new zones, or use the new items. Raising the level cap is jist a a way to add new skills and talrnts and get you some points to put into them. Its also a way to give back theblevelijg experience to max level toons playing through new chapters. Some cheapo on the sidelines insisting that its pay to win if they add things to the game that they dont want to buy is ridiculous.

^ i said this because adding 10 new levels in an expansion pack isn’t the same thing as adding unlimited levels to where you can max out your whole passive tree (like paragon in D3).

Then you come in talking about paragon again? When Lolli and I were having a conversation where he was implying new levels would mean maxing out the talent tree, which isn’t what anyone said. See how really off topic you are?

No… no it doesn’t. Because the game scaled from 40 to 50 isn’t power creep. Power creep is when things become more powerful comparatively. If level 40 legendaries scale to 50, and the game scaled to level 50, too, then comparatively their power has not changed. Therefore… no power creep.

To be clear, if a legendary item is level 40 and adds 40% damage to seismic slam, scaling it to 50 dosen’t mean buffing its legendary affix to 50%. It would stay at 40% but could drop at as a level 50 item.

And yet even though you have to go out and find them they are still more powerful items. How you get the items is immaterial the fact is they are still more powerful items just because you can’t buy them straight up doesn’t change the fact that they are still more powerful than what was originally in the game

and yet you claim that those extra 10 levels won’t make you more powerful, even though that is 10 xtra level of stats that a 60th level won’t get, it may not be much of a difference but that little difference can mean the difference between staying where you are and climbing the ladder a few position
Do you really think that making a drag car run 1/10 of a second faster can’t be the difference between winning and losing

Here is the description of Power Creep : it is a phenomenon present in any collectible game that uses both old elements and new ones. It is the gradual unbalancing of a game due to successive releases of new content.

1 Like

Oh, I’ll be perfectly clear - raising the level cap does make it possible for characters to be more powerful. When asked the question, “how will you monetize the game?” And they said “Standard expansion pack model, we won’t sell power”, every human with a brain understood that they would be selling expansion packs (every single expansion pack for their games, and any game ever, has included greater heights in power, including D2 LoD which didn’t raise the lvl cap), but would not have pay to win MTX in their game.

Then there is you, an Intellectual: “If even one thing in the expansion is more powerful than previous they lied and sold power!”.

If they raise the level? Selling power!!!11
New Class that does 0.5% more dps than a pre-existing class: Selling power?
If they add a new weapon that is better than a previous one: selling power?
If they add a new zone that is better than a previous zone for farming: selling power?
If they add a new type of item that is useful: selling power?

My. God. Please, tell me. What could they possibly put in an expansion that you would need to purchase that wouldn’t be selling power?

What are they supposed to sell to us in an expansion that isn’t allowed to effect player power in any way? Only stuff that sucks more than what we already had? By your very smart understanding of what selling power means, literally any ounce of power gained through anything that costs dollars = selling power.

I get it. You want to buy the game for 39.99 and never pay anything again, and get all the benefits of the expansions for free, or else they lied and sold power, right King Steve, the penniless?

Hahaha okay, so they literally cant add anything to the game then, or else its power creep. The only option, then, is to obsolete -everything- in the game and add all new stuff to the game, so that the old doesn’t mix with the new and create the gradual unbalancing of the game.

Its solved folks, we can all go home. Blizzard will decide: never update the game, or if they do, delete all of our progress and all of the content and replace it with new stuff.

Its hilarious that all these people are here complaining about adding new levels to the game because it will invalidate all their work, when the only solution they put forward is one that would mandate deleting 100% of their work anyways.

Not really. It says “uses both and new ones”. Which means the old ones are constantly getting buffed. They would only need to buff these elements if the new ones are significantly powerful. The new ones should be at the same power level. And as I mentioned if they’re adding New Boss that drop Specific Legendary Items and you can only access that in the expansion, the material with the same legendary affix should still be available to everyone. Not everyone can have the legendary item but they all have access to a new possible build.

More damage = faster killing = get to end quicker

depends on what the item does but I would say an item that allows you to kill everything instantly is more powerful than an item that doesn’t

Out of this list
raising your level and the stats that go with it is more power, not much more but it is still more
add a new weapon that is better than anything previously in game is more power
add a useful item depends on what that item does
The new class adding power as apposed to the 1 - 5 % difference in power the first group of characters in the game
adding a new zone is just adding more areas to explore it’s not giving you better equipment

Make it so that a 1st level character can wield the exact same items as a 70th level character and make it so that the items don’t automatically get better the higher you go
from the number of times I’ve levelled characters I know there is a noticeable jump in power once you get over 50th level and again at 60th level then at intervals between 65 and 69 till you get the best items at 70
Why should a 60th level item be less powerful than an identical 70th level item, they are the same item after all

Being abusive, the last resort for people that know they are wrong and can’t handle it

Again, New Zones, New Game modes, New Classes(well balanced), New Story Quest. And if they are going to add levels/skills (which is okay) it should affect everyone, not just those who bought the expansion.

Now you’re going against your own definition. It says nothing about buffing the old to match the new. It says it uses the old and the new. Allowing lvl 40 stuff to scale to lvl 50 without changing its legendary affix is not a buff - it is keeping power constant for the item relative to difficulty of the game. The item has gained no relative power.

So, if old stuff is allowed to be relevant with new stuff, its power creep, and then power was sold, and its bad.

If old stuff is obsoleted, then you lost all your progress and power was sold.

So, Blizzard can’t add anything new to the game for $$ without selling power. By definition. According to King Steve the Penniless.

How many more times do you want to be flagged for a ban?

Right, i started the disrespectful name calling.

Then those new zones cant be better for anything compared to any previous zone. Those quests can’t grant any bonuses like quests did in D2. Those classes cant do -anything- better than any other class.

In that case there only needs to be one area in the whole game, why does D3 need 5 acts when all you need is 1 map because after that 1 map everything else can’t be better than just 1 map.
How quickly are people going to get bored with just having 1 map and nothing else and after 5 mins you can play the game blindfolded

1 Like